PGH's photographs of British Railways from c1960

Hi 

How the hell did i miss this thread!, these are cracking photo's and not the typical shoots of just the loco's.

These are the sort of shots we scream for when building a layout based on real locations,please keep them coming!,just fantastic! :good: 

Darren01 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What strikes me about many of the station views at that period is how neat and tidy they were - luggage barrow and trolley neatly parked, no piles of luggage, crates or boxes, no milk churns, no weeds or litter.

It's called pride.

Mike.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In August 1962 I travelled to Hereford for the day, but apparently found little of interest to photograph in Hereford itself - too "main line" - except for this view of 7031 on a London train and station pilot 5970

EDIT [snipped to reduce space]

Super photos, but what is immediately noticeable is that in the platform shots there is not a passenger in sight...

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

The temptation here was to crop the photo down to the train but I think the details of the station building are perhaps of more interest.  What strikes me about many of the station views at that period is how neat and tidy they were - luggage barrow and trolley neatly parked, no piles of luggage, crates or boxes, no milk churns, no weeds or litter.

It was of course very much the case everywhere on some Regions at that time (but not on all I think) as stations were still maintained on a programmed basis plus quick attention to any structural matters by the District Engineer's staff and of course most stations were staffed and at a place like Fawley, and many other small stations of course, the staff had plenty of time to sweep platforms, tend flower beds and keep the white line platform edging up to scratch - because at many places there was little else to do, even for a single Porter.

Permanent way gangs still worked on the basis of their own 'patch' on which they not only tended the track but also looked after the lineside with - on the Western if not elsewhere - two burnings of lineside vegetation every year.  Hence a much tidier lineside, cess paths in generally good condition, and so on.  It all started to decline from the end of steam and as mechanidsed track maintenance and 'basic' railways came in

The temptation here was to crop the photo down to the train but I think the details of the station building are perhaps of more interest. 

Please do not be tempted to crop to the train in this or any other picture. Train pictures are two a penny, I've see too many photos where something of interest has a train in the way. After all, it's just another GW mogul, but the rest of the picture is crammed with detail.

I am reminded of a picture of an A4 in colour at some London shed, what is really interesting is the partly obscured ex PO wagon, with its livery clearly visible.

Also the shot at Buildwas is of more interest because you stepped back.

• Like 2

Urban decay, ugly but interesting.

A bit like travelling by train through a city, where you are treated to views MOST of the public don't see: factory rear yards, industrial areas, etc.

No it doesn't, I don't think I ever reached Worcester by rail.

A few 'odds and ends' from the Oldham Area:

attachicon.gif3.03B.jpg

Oldham Mumps Station in 1960 - view towards Manchester with an ex L&Y 0-6-0 on shunting duties

attachicon.gifCS136B.jpg

Royton Station in August 1962 - a rather badly composed view but hopefully of interest

attachicon.gifCS137B.jpg

Royton Junction - view towards Oldham

attachicon.gifCS133B.jpg

An ex L&Y signal at Royton Junction - view towards Rochdale

attachicon.gifCS142B.jpg

The sign says it all

attachicon.gifCS138B.jpg

The rather dilapidated Middleton Station

The first photo still more or less looked like that six years later when the family moved to Oldham (and fairly soon decamped to Uppermill!) What is the building with the four cooling towers - a power station? It certainly wasn't the gasworks as that was nearer the second and third photos.

• RMweb Gold

Absolute treasures here. Even more so as my chosen period is not like 'Third week in July 19xx' but things happening the period of steam running with pilot scheme diesels pre-yellow panel.

The examples of variation in wagon condition alongside generally clean coaches, weed strewn platforms and urban grot are just what i need.

• Like 1

The first photo still more or less looked like that six years later when the family moved to Oldham (and fairly soon decamped to Uppermill!) What is the building with the four cooling towers - a power station? It certainly wasn't the gasworks as that was nearer the second and third photos.

Greenhill Power Station -opened 1903 by Oldham Corporation, later CEGB.  Its sidings were shunted by a Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 fireless loco.  

The shot of Llandrillo is interesting as it's a timber yard now which I regularly get set to collect fencing materials with the Haulage company I work for. Only the goods shed is left now, probably in original  condition but has had a metal shed added where the fencing material get tantalised.

Keep the pictures coming rarely enjoying them

• RMweb Premium

I hate to use the 'Like' button in this instance but I have to say Thank You for posting these pictures.

The now-preserved Llangollen Railway is very dear to me and I have spent many hours on Corwen and Berwyn stations, and it's sad to think they had to go through that state as seen here in order to be restored to the condition they are now in.

That said, these represent superb historical pictures of considerable interest, so let's see some more please!

David

Stunning shots, Phil, thanks so much for posting them.   Can an expert please explain why the right-hand doll at Royton Junction (picture 4 of post 44) is slotted?

Many thanks,

Bill

The signal acted as Royton Junction's starter and as Royton Junction Sidings' home signal. The left hand signal being solely controlled by Royton Junction Sidings box for entry to the down loop.
  • Like 1