PGH's photographs of British Railways from c1960

• RMweb Premium

completely out of my era/area but thank you for posting such wonderful pics.

The composition and quality are amazing, yet without fuss - a proper, historical record of locations (and not just the stations/railway but everything around them too)

• RMweb Gold

Historic photos indeed.  I had no idea that construction of the new road had had such an effect on the railway.

Thanks very much,

Dave.

Llandudno Junction signal box - the replacement with the panel - is rumoured to have "funded by the A55" on it.

Llandudno Junction signal box - the replacement with the panel - is rumoured to have "funded by the A55" on it.

A rumour I think beast, I don't recall seeing that when we built it and later maintained it. It does however have a plaque inside referring to the last box constructed by the B R LMR signal box construction gang.

Although it is true that it was funded as such, along with a lot of our overtime.

Merf.

Great shots Phil, much better than mine.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Did you photograph any soon-to-disappear locations around Colwyn?

Not really, just some more like the ones already posted but in black & white and quite a number of the goods yard, which I will post here later although I think this has already been covered on RMweb.

I took many of the rail diversion works, although all in black & white, some of which I could post here if there is any interest.  It would give me an opportunity to see them myself as the negs haven't been printed or scanned yet !

Edited by PGH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A rumour I think beast, I don't recall seeing that when we built it and later maintained it. It does however have a plaque inside referring to the last box constructed by the B R LMR signal box construction gang.

Although it is true that it was funded as such, along with a lot of our overtime.

The latter comment is oft-quoted (mine was tongue in cheek)  :)

I took many of the rail diversion works, although all in black & white, some of which I could post here if there is any interest.  It would give me an opportunity to see them myself as the negs haven't been printed or scanned yet !

There certainly is.

The shots of the old loco shed on the cowlyn Bay miniature railways really does bring back some very happy memories for me. there was a funfair on the town side of the railway too where many a happy times were spent.

I remember this miniature railway, it ran alongside and higher than the footpath and road behind some railings and was a 'treat' for me when we visited the area.  I've mentioned it to other people and they have no knowledge of it.  It must have started mid/late 50's - but how long did it last?

I remember this miniature railway, it ran alongside and higher than the footpath and road behind some railings and was a 'treat' for me when we visited the area.  I've mentioned it to other people and they have no knowledge of it.  It must have started mid/late 50's - but how long did it last?

There is some information here: http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1112c.htm  and photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainsandstuff/2934511070/in/set-72157607953475930/

I've a vague idea that the steam loco went to Bressingham, but I'm not sure.  

There is some information here: http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1112c.htm  and photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainsandstuff/2934511070/in/set-72157607953475930/

I've a vague idea that the steam loco went to Bressingham, but I'm not sure.  

I think you're right about Bressingham. I found a photo on flickr of the loco with Gwilym in charge but can't find it now.

Merf.

I only made one trip along the Amlwch Line c1959 when the passenger services were worked by DMU - later steam was reintroduced for the last few years before the line closed to passengers in 1964.  Evidently it didn't have the same interest as ex GWR lines covered during the early 1960s, so photos are limited to just two rather blurry views taken on that trip.

post-14569-0-94767500-1452609191.jpg

The view above shows Amlwch Station

post-14569-0-61984100-1452609194.jpg

The Associated Octel Company's Ruston & Hornsby 165DS 0-4-0 diesel loco crosses the main road in Amlwch en route to the exchange sidings at the rear of the station.

The 3/4 mile line from Amlwch Station serving the Associated Octel Co.Ltd. works was first used towards the end of 1952.  It was originally operated by the works own locomotives - an 88DS 4wDM and the 165DS 0-4-0DM shown above, both supplied new by Ruston & Hornsby in 1952.  From the early 1970s BR locos began operating through to the works entrance and this continued until rail traffic ceased in 1993.  Interchange at the works was effected with the aid of a short siding outside the entrance and required a co-ordinated effort by the BR and works locos.  On two occasions in 1980/81 I photographed this operation.  At that time incoming traffic was sulphur from Mostyn Docks in hopper wagons and outgoing traffic liquid chlorine and ethylene dibromide in tank wagons to the same company's Ellesmere Port Works.  

Edited by PGH
  • Like 15

attachicon.gif9A.21B.jpg

I've no idea where this is, except it must be between Llandovery and Swansea, and where the Central Wales Line connected with a local service.  This negative was never printed so when I recently scanned these negatives it was the first time I'd seen this view since I took it over 50 years ago !

I'm pretty sure this image 9A.21B.jpg is Llandeilo, with the Carmarthen train on the left.

Edited by Andy Y
Excess quoting pruned.

I'm pretty sure this image 9A.21B.jpg is Llandeilo, with the Carmarthen train on the left.

Already answered in Post #152, but thanks for your reply anyway.

Perhaps some members are not aware that when using "reply quoting this post" they can edit out the part of the original text not relevant to the answer or query. This is the third time that my fairly long original post has been repeated in full, and I'm sure other members are tired of seeing it all again......and again......and again     :banghead:

Edited by PGH