PGH's photographs of British Railways from c1960

• RMweb Gold

Very glad its in your collection!

Despite the date in the corner of the diagram (21/6/61) a photo dated 31/5/1963 in "Scenes from the past No9 The Llangollen Line, Ruabon to Barmouth" shows the signalling apparently unchanged since the last goods train ran to Blaenau Ffestiniog on 27/1/1961.

I have seen a photo showing the line severed as per your diagram but I can't (as usual) find it at the moment.

Regarding the signal 23 and the discs 20/21, in "Scenes from the past No25 Bala Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog" a couple of photos dated Ca1958 show a wooden signal with a route indicator but by 1963 it had been replaced as shown.

And, as I have remarked, with the ground discs in a very unusual arrangement for the Western - in fact so unusual I have never come across it elsewhere on the Region in reality or photos.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that was the case at local level.  Reading still had the castings in stock for multiple arm discs almost to the day they closed so I reckon the Bala job would not have been done through them. 

I don't know about the Western, but there were certainly a few local creations around the LM. Some museum character was frothing about a bit of ironwork on a signal on my Grandad's patch when New Street PSB was about to take over, saying he'd not seen another like it. Grandad told him he wasn't likely to as in it's previous life it was holding up the cistern in the toilet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In considering the slightly odd ground discs at Bala, could that be a consequence of the arrangement of the "double" track from there to the junction which was in fact a reversible line plus a goods line. I think that the right hand starter signal is protecting the goods line not a departure over the crossover to the reversible line.

Strange arrangement which I can only think was to allow a goods train to access the goods yard during times when the signal box was locked out.

Edited to add: Interesting to see the signal box diagram post blockade of the Blaenau route. How did locos run round? Perhaps all trains were propelled?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

attachicon.gif1.LF112B.jpg

A Blaenau Ffestiniog train just west of Arenig Station c1959.  This illustrates the bleak nature of the countryside around Arenig.  The normal pannier tank and one coach passenger trains sometimes ran mixed at that time, as shown here, with a bulk cement wagon for the Tan-y-Grisiau Power Station construction contract.

This latest batch of pictures are absolutely superb material; I don't think I've ever seen a shot with a Presflo as tail-traffic. It just looks so wrong it's brilliant!

• Like 3

The trackbed looking from Trawsfynedd towards Cwm Prysor...

attachicon.gifWEB Beyond Traws trackbed.jpg

I dismissed this photo as being of poor quality, but it does make an interesting comparison with Larry's photo of the trackbed beyond Trawsfynydd.

Taken in 1962 after closure of the line, the location is the same but a bit nearer to Trawsfynydd than the 2003 photo.

post-14569-0-95361900-1452550502.jpg

Edited by PGH
  • Like 19

This latest batch of pictures are absolutely superb material; I don't think I've ever seen a shot with a Presflo as tail-traffic. It just looks so wrong it's brilliant!

They did run as tail traffic on the Kyle line, I believe; as far as the oil-platform construction site at Stromeferry, but that was a couple of decades later. Definitely one to upset the 'experts', though..

I gather that after closure the power station construction must have stepped up a gear, as cement traffic via the Conwy Valley line sometimes ran in block trains, during June 1961.

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

I love the pic of the 'mixed' in #94.  Mixed workings on (G)WR were very rare except poss for some of the unadvertised workman's trains which I think may have been mixed?

It is not a 'Mixed Train' but - as Andy correctly identified - a passenger train with tail traffic, albeit something rather different in the way of tail traffic!.  The easy way to tell that it isn't a mixed train at that date is that it hasn't got a freight brakevan on the back end ;)

The survival of equipment at Festiniog station was remarkable, I first saw the derelict station in the mid 70s, then in the 80s. When I last went there in the 90s, the fouling bar on the (removed) Up facing point was still there. Virtually everything else had gone.

Such wonderful images.

A bit OT, but in response to an earlier post:

Marples (Con) - 1,436 miles closed.

Fraser (Lab)  - 819 miles closed

Castle (Lab) - 606 miles closed

Marsh (Lab) - 419 miles closed

Mulley (Lab) - 227 miles closed

Peyton (Con) - 90 miles closed

Note - Marples would have closed a lot before the Beeching report. But all the big ones S&D, GC, Waverley etc., were done under Labour. 

The first "big one" - the closure of almost the entire M&GN system - was in early 1959, pre-Beeching, and under a Conservative administration.

I think Gerry Fiennes was the railwayman enthusiastically doing the axing.

Paul

... .

Permanent way gangs still worked on the basis of their own 'patch' on which they not only tended the track but also looked after the lineside with - on the Western if not elsewhere - two burnings of lineside vegetation every year.  Hence a much tidier lineside, cess paths in generally good condition, and so on.  ... .

-- How long, (miles),  or how big might an average 'patch' be?

--  :-)

Edited by unclebobkt