PGH's photographs of British Railways from c1960

Further to the video Mike linked to above, I've now relocated this set of pictures by Martin Pritchard taken during construction of the plant at Trawsfynydd. Well worth a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63164772@N05/sets/72157629381905748/

Thanks for posting these pictures PGH, really interesting.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 2

... .  However I believe Barbara Castle (good Surname that), as a non car driver, stepped in to stop the carnage so I've been told. However, my knowledge of that period is hazy ... .

-- Pray correct me if I'm in error - but wasn't she the Minister of Tpt. who approved the closure of the Gt. Central Railway?  I think so.

-- :-)

attachicon.gif6.CS189B.jpg

attachicon.gif7.CS180B.jpg

A parcels unit on permanent way duty and trailing lengths of rail passing the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway station at Portmadoc in May 1983

attachicon.gif8.CS112B.jpg

Aberdovey Signal Box in August 1962

attachicon.gif9.CS107B.jpg

7801 at Moat Lane Junction in August 1962

attachicon.gif10.80.29B.jpg

75033 on the down Cambrian Coast Express at Newtown on 25th February 1967.

This loco worked the last up steam hauled CCE a few days later on 4th March 1967.

attachicon.gif11.80.30B.jpg

75033 leaves Newtown, blowing off vigorously

attachicon.gif12.CS111B.jpg

7819 at Welshpool on a northbound train.  In the distance a Standard shunts an oil tank wagon and a flat loaded with farm machinery.

Nice shots there of the parcels DMU with it's custom coupling bar towing the rail. I trust that would date from the days that locos were not allowed over Barmouth Bridge. I have a view of it in the area towing 2 ballast hoppers.

Merf.

A few points:-

Steam-hauled trains are unable to run on the Cambrian at present, as there isn't yet a practical portable ERTMS receiver. The only stock currently permitted are the 158s and the three (?) Class 37s fitted with on-board equipment.

I presume the 22xx was running towards Penrhyndeudraeth, as there aren't any barrier wagons between the loco and the rake of Gunpowder vans.

The photo of the CCE shows one of the ex-LNER 'long' CCTs that Hornby are supposed to be bringing out this year.

Edited by Fat Controller

A brilliant set of high quality photos! My aunt moved to the (then) new Elson Park estate in Ellesmere in 1985 and we lived at the time in Rossett, so drove to see her along the route shown in the photos. We often wondered what the journey would have been like by train.. now we know!

Like so much else, an evocation of a much nicer time... hey ho

Regards and thanks

Tony Hagon

• RMweb Gold

Two of your pictures in post #117 intrigue me. You say the shot of BR Class 4 tank No. 80087 is circa 1959. I assume it come off the LMR line from Bangor?  These tanks only became familiar on the Cambrian coast section in 1964 when they were drafted to the line in appaling external condition.

The colour shot below it at Afon Wen shows non-corridor stock from Caernarvon. I only ever saw ex-LMS open seconds on these workings so I've learned something there. A long journey with no lavatory accomodation.........Passengers must have been toilet-hopping at the various passing stations! I must be mistaken but was sure I have seen this picture published somewhere and didn't know it was yours.

80087 was a Bangor engine in 1957 but had moved to three Bridges by mid 1960.

As usual, brilliant sets of photos.  The Blaenau branch ones in particular are super, I never realised Llan Festiniog had such as interesting platform canopy.  I wish I'd had the foresight to travel along the line BITD.  Mike Lloyd sent me a series of shots of BF when I was considering modelling it way back in the 70's.  Yours add to the overall picture.

Many thanks.

Nice ones again.  I visited Ruthin station a while after closure with my Dad and his friend on our way back from Rhyl.  Everything still there basically.  These days it would have disappeared overnight!

Denbigh had a fascinating station building with that 'spire'.  Have any drawings ever been published?

Interlaced sleeper point work would be rather unusual for a North Wales location I reckon.  A good 'prototype for everything' example.  Very common in the North East though.

attachicon.gif6.CS189B.jpg

attachicon.gif7.CS180B.jpg

A parcels unit on permanent way duty and trailing lengths of rail passing the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway station at Portmadoc in May 1983

attachicon.gif8.CS112B.jpg

Aberdovey Signal Box in August 1962

attachicon.gif9.CS107B.jpg

7801 at Moat Lane Junction in August 1962

attachicon.gif10.80.29B.jpg

75033 on the down Cambrian Coast Express at Newtown on 25th February 1967.

This loco worked the last up steam hauled CCE a few days later on 4th March 1967.

attachicon.gif11.80.30B.jpg

75033 leaves Newtown, blowing off vigorously

attachicon.gif12.CS111B.jpg

7819 at Welshpool on a northbound train.  In the distance a Standard shunts an oil tank wagon and a flat loaded with farm machinery.

Have just seen this post today and can only echo the many positive comments -  what a great thread!

My interest is in mid and south Wales railways and seeing the Moat Lane image, I wondered whether you ever travelled/photographed the Mid-wales line from there to Buith Wells via Llanidloes, Rhayader, etc (an area I know very well)?

Regards

Steve N

My interest is in mid and south Wales railways and seeing the Moat Lane image, I wondered whether you ever travelled/photographed the Mid-wales line from there to Buith Wells via Llanidloes, Rhayader, etc (an area I know very well)?

Regards

Steve N

Yes, will appear here shortly and thanks for your comments

Edited by PGH

Excellent photos.  A  real gem for anybody modelling that area.  We were all guilty of filling our photos with locos and ignoring the infrastructure as we thought it would be around for ever. While in the area of the Cambrian Coast I am putting out an appeal for anybody having photos of Shrewsbury - early 1960's showing the station platform buildings without being blotted out by rolling stock.  I am also trying to establish when the central signal box at the end of bays 5 and 6 was demolished.  It was taken out of commission in February 1961, but had it been removed by the Summer of 1962? (which is when my model of the station is based on).  A second request for any photos of the goods platform, originally used as a cattle dock, adjacent to Howard Street.  There is a large pipe scales about 6" diameter running along the girder over the entrance to the Shropshire Union Yard, and then, I assume, running into some sort of machine housing on the goods platform, but this is only my guess.  Hence, I would be very grateful for any photo evidence.

Many thanks,

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...