Southend Pier Railway

iamjamie

I'm looking into the idea of creating a model railway of the Southend Pier Railway, at some point from the 50s to the 70s when it was at it's operational peak...

It's still very much in the planning and development stage, and I'm currently in the process of drawing everything up in AutoCAD. It's a bit of a mad undertaking because, if build fully and to scale, the whole thing could end up over 13 metres long! But, like I said I'm only looking in to the idea right now!

I'm interested to know where the signals would be placed on the railway. I've attached a track plan, and there's also a very good description of operations on this website http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail/spr.html

On the website, the description talks about each signal box controlling two home and two starter signals, but I'm not quite sure how these would be placed? (there is a picture on the website of two trains with some signals in shot, but I can't quite place it)

Would there also have been starter signals at the stations?

I'm sure there must be some of you out there who might have first hand knowledge of this period... Sadly I was born a little too late to ride in those very cool looking green trains!

Any help would be gratefully received!

post-19177-0-30650700-1386176163_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

Are these photos any use?  All taken in the 1970s when I lived in Basildon.

If you look very carefully you can see the signals in some of them.

post-5613-0-27783300-1386188251_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier 30th April 1978 C3811

post-5613-0-93027600-1386188255_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier April 1978 J6029

post-5613-0-48905700-1386188262_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier from pierhead July 1975 C2188

post-5613-0-02341200-1386188270_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier July 1975 C2189

post-5613-0-95213200-1386188276_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier July 1975 C2190

post-5613-0-63156500-1386188283_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier October 1974 C1820

post-5613-0-64572800-1386188289_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier October 1974 C1818

post-5613-0-95660700-1386188294_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier October 1974 J4080

post-5613-0-16412700-1386188301_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier 30th April 1978 C3819

David

Are these photos any use?  All taken in the 1970s when I lived in Basildon.

If you look very carefully you can see the signals in some of them.

Absolutely fantastic! Much better than some of the ones I've managed to track down online...

Also great to have one of the lifeboat station from then, as I've not seen that yet... (The eventual idea is to model the pier head as well).

I vaguely remember travelling on this - must be in the late fifties, early sixties but do not remember any details. However looking at the pictures it seems to have been operated in both directions on each line, also the diamond crossing has been changed to a single crossover and no crossover within sight of the sea end station.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure both ends were similar with crossovers at both.

I have a vague recollection of a midway signal box as well.

Now it has been mentioned I seem to recall that they could run in both directions on one track presumably to facilitate maintenance and so the railway could still operate in the event of a failure on one line. It would also allow "one train in spark" operation at less busy times.

Wasn't there 5 trains in operation at the peak?

Absolutely lovely photos, David.  I well remember these trains clanking over the pier from my childhood, but by the time I was old enough to be taking serious photographs, trips to the seaside/Southend weren't that great an attraction.  By the time I'd got round to photographing the pier trains, they'd been replaced by the current diesel sets.

• RMweb Gold

A couple more showing more of the Pierhead though the one from 1979 was after one of the fires.

post-5613-0-04088300-1386197749_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier October 1974 J4079

post-5613-0-68097700-1386197754_thumb.jpg

Southend Pier SNCB Reine Astrid from PS Waverley May 79 C4473

This was a busy day as the Belgian ship Reine Astrid arrived almost at the same time as the PS Waverley.

In this photo the Waverley is backing away from the pier.

David

• RMweb Premium

There was only two signal boxes, each one operated the crossover in front of it. Single line operation was used in the winter months with only one train working a shuttle with the signal cabins locked out of use. An interesting service vehicle was a self (diesel) powered platform car introduced in the 70's with a hi-ab crane, this still exists on one of the Welsh NG railways having been re-gauged.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure both ends were similar with crossovers at both.

I have a vague recollection of a midway signal box as well.

Now it has been mentioned I seem to recall that they could run in both directions on one track presumably to facilitate maintenance and so the railway could still operate in the event of a failure on one line. It would also allow "one train in spark" operation at less busy times.

Wasn't there 5 trains in operation at the peak?

No the track/signalling plan is correct. The trains were made up of 4 x 7 car sets (also detailed in the link by the OP), although perhaps sets could be reduced for maintenance reasons - not sure about that.

Usually when my family travelled on it, we walked out & returned by train.

It'll be good to see a working model, I have fond memories of  day trips to Southend on sunny summer Sundays in the 1950's, with one way trips on the pier railway, after a walk to the pier-head, with the usual 'bang-bang-bang' as the wheels went over the rail joins, a sound that would carry quite a distance along the sea-front, only deadened by the din from the Kursal. :sungum:

I'm glad to hear that so many of you have fond memories of Southend Pier... The new diesel cars don't quite have the same character as the green ones! I was never fortunate enough to see them in action, although I have seen the one that's now in a shop in Leigh-on-Sea! I haven't been to the Pier Museum for many, many years, although I must make sure I have a visit soon!

post-19177-0-72015200-1386244002_thumb.png

I think I can surmise from looking at the pictures that four of the signals would be placed like so... Can anyone else confirm this? I assume that the crossovers would also be protected by signals in the other directions as well, but I can't see that in any photos? (You can probably tell that signalling is not my strong point!)

There also doesn't appear to be any indication of signalling the route that is set? On a small railway like this, is that not really required?

Thank you for all your help so far! 

The new diesel cars don't quite have the same character as the green ones! I was never fortunate enough to see them in action, although I have seen the one that's now in a shop in Leigh-on-Sea!

Ah. That's what it was! I lived in Leigh On Sea for a few years and remember the gift shop in the old town part of Leigh. I always thought it was a tram, I didn't realise it was from the Southend Pier Railway... doh!

post-17811-0-24036400-1386248043_thumb.jpg

post-19177-0-95365400-1386356959_thumb.png

I managed to find a piece of cine film where you can see two signal heads, but only on one side... So I am assuming that the signal/track plan would look like this...?

post-19177-0-20295500-1386356973_thumb.png

This seems to tally with the description of two home signals and two starter signals.

Can anyone confirm if this would be prototypical practice (or is there no such thing as prototypical practicewhen it comes to these smaller unique railways)?

I note that there is no indication of route setting as the train departs from the platform, but as the pier railway observes left-hand running would drivers just assume when they get a clear signal they would be routed to the left hand track?

Planning is still underway, but I'm trying to decide between building in N or Z Scale... With Z Scale the overall size becomes a lot more manageable, but the actual cars will be pretty tiny in size! If I went down that route I think I'd be looking at T Scale sized motors to drive everything... 

Again from memory, I'm sure your assumption is right.

ie:

Depart from either terminus, L or R platform, with LH running up to the 2nd x-over. Double signal head on approach to the x-over, which would show the route into either LH or RH platform. When I visited, there always seemed to be 4 trains running, so an Up & Down (if that is the correct definition) would pass somewhere along the journey. Often the train would also be held at the approach to the terminus while the next train departed.

As a youngster, I was fascinated by this "big" railway trainset on the pier. The cars reminded me of Blackpool Railcoach trams, with their immaculate green/cream paintwork and varnished wood interior. There were adverts in the cars, always one from the paint supplier advertising his product as used on the cars. The wheelbase of the cars matched the rail joints; it is said this led to the demise of the railway due to the vibration caused. At the Pierhead end there was one of the older cars, used as a motorised goods wagon to bring supplies out to the shops/cafes etc. It always seemed to be parked in the west platform by the buffers.

Stewart

edit ps where is this car to be found in Leigh?

edit ps where is this car to be found in Leigh?

In Leigh old town, by the seafront. As you walk from Leigh beach (Chalkwell end of Leigh) through the old town towards Leigh railway station, there's a large souvenir shop on the right. Can't remember what it's called, sorry.

Archived