Flexible brick relief in N?

Does anyone do a brick relief flexible sheet in N? The new Redutex texture sheets would appear to be exactly what I'm after, but there are no brick sheets in N unfortunately. I know it's possible to bend plastic sheet in warm water, but I'm after something a little thinner. Brick paper won't do as it has no relief.

I'm trying to replicate a station platform that is partly under a road bridge. On the prototype, the brick wall behind the platform has been whitewashed under the bridge but you can still clearly see the brick relief. I wouldn't be able to get that effect with normal brick paper.

A lot of 2mm guys use 4mm scale brickwork. From what I've seen, the brain is quite happy overlooking this fact and it looks fine.

I suppose as long as you're consistent in this approach it might be an idea, as butting 2mm bricks up to 4mm will destroy any illusion. On the other hand, I'm not so sure that 2mm scale needs so much relief in bricks, however would scoring in line with the parallel mortar courses be an idea on some standard 2mm brickpaper?

Paul

Thanks for that Mike. I think Gaugemaster or maybe Ontracks stock plenty of Noch products - I'll have a search.

54Strat - I had thought of 4mm Redutex sheets but like you say, it would need to be consistent. The whole platform would have to use 4mm sheets and that may look noticeably overscale.

South Eastern Finecast now produce some brick sheets in 2mm, they're very flexible and are a nice size sheet (roughly Foolscap size at a guess).

I haven't used any of the 2mm sheets as yet, although I do have some for future use. I have used the 4mm sheets before to face a three arch bridge on the Crawley MRS layout Wellbridge and they were a pleasure to work with.

The slaters brick sheet is what I've used on my layout for building a tunnel mouth and a section of 3 bridges and viaduct my layouts ,the layouts on here called Grange lane junction and sidings if you want to see what they look like .The sheets are thin and easy to use easy to bend with plenty of relief. they are English bond that's the only bond they do I think .

Saying that might have a go with the nock sheets next time see what there like.

Brian

Much appreciated folks. I've gone from thinking nobody did a flexible brick sheet in N, to having a choice of 3! I agree, if you only get one 30cm x 12cm sheet in the Noch pack, it's a bit expensive, but I don't need a huge amount. I'll definitely take a look at the SEF and Slaters products too. Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

I certainly was not aware of any 2mm sheets from SEF - but Dave Ellis was never the best at advertising and promotion.

I have never been able to get on with the Slater's 2mm sheets as there is more mortar course than there is brick. Oddly though, that may just work perfectly in this case where the OP wants to represent a whitewashed wall. Without the exagerated mortar courses, I don't think it would show up at all.

Generally, in 2mm, I think printed brickpaper works better (stonework is another matter). Would it not be possible to create a whitewashed brick wall by printing it out oneself on a laser printer with the mortar courses in a light grey?

I agree that in general printed brick paper works well for me in N and I must have used dozens of Metcalfe sheets in the past! - the lack of relief is not so apparent in the smaller scale. I have considered a Scalescenes download modified to the effect I want, but my printer is old and basic and just can't handle the detail (I've tried before).

I can't find 2mm listed at SEF either!

I've searched for the Slaters sheet and the image I've found (below) doesn't fill me full of joy! It does look a little too chunky (and that's being polite)!

As I don't need a huge amount, I think I'll try a couple of sheets of the Noch (also pictured below). I think you'll agree it does look pretty good.

post-17811-0-82462000-1386232117.jpg

post-17811-0-29870200-1386232117.jpg

I think the SEF sheet materials are new, I always liked their 4mm stuff and was pleasantly surprised to find the 2mm stuff on their stand at the Uckfield show last October.

The 2mm products from their leaflet are:

• FBS201 Plain Bond Brick (American)
  • FBS202 English Bond Brickwork
  • FBS203 Flemish Bond Brickwork
  • FBS204 Stone Block
  • FBS214 American Bond
  • FBS215 Slate
  • FBS216 Random Stone
  • FBS217 Dressed Stone Block
  • FBS218 Textured Concrete Block

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark

Hello.

Another possibility is laser etched brickwork. I have used it on Highclere and am very pleased with the results.

post-2065-0-30759700-1386270714.jpg

Im my opinion it nicely fills the gap between printed paper which is too flat and 'shiny', and plastic embossed brick which is very course and overscale.

Missy :)

The new Redutex texture sheets would appear to be exactly what I'm after, but there are no brick sheets in N unfortunately.

Redutex do list a range of N/2mm brick texture sheets - http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/index.php?cPath=272_861_874_878

I've got a couple of them and they look quite good although expensive.

G.

Archived