Portable 00 Goods Yard - 1926 SR

ThePurplePrimer

It's more a thought exercise for me at the moment as I can't get my head around the concept of operating an inglenook puzzle. Though this may have more possibilities than anything else I've come up with for that space.

If you've got the track it seems like an opportunity to put it together on a table (or the floor) and try it. At least you don't need to build a piece of fairly complex track first like I had to!

And in a few hours after paying work ended, I cleared the table and: 
train%20001_zpsmbmcfykv.jpg
A picture with the exposure way off happened....
The inbuilt uncoupler magnets made things interesting & the code 83 rail revealed that I've missed adjusting a few Kadee trip pins as there was scraping & the odd failure to uncouple. I suspect operating on DC would provide better control, but I think I did okay with the powercab as that's not my starting position.

After some fine tuning of track lengths, shorter shank Kadees & undertrack magnets and deciding on the scenic, it might be okay to go. 

That extra track's just me doodling an idea on how to make it meet a modular standard where that'd be the frontscene. Though this idea is probably better off being an end point with the track positioned to meet the 135mm in from an edge requirement.

This is what happened to the rest of the Dapol Petrol Station and Bungalow. It's the office behind the loco shed, and I decided it would be a taxi office as I've just bought an Oxford Austin Taxi. I'm not quite so happy with this one, as it still looks a bit 1950s bungalow. And that stonework is awful! I decided to use it as it was surplus to requirements. I'm now wondering if it's supposed to be crazy paving! Anyway, I may redo the front in brick. The rest won't be very obvious.

post-7091-0-09947000-1469139186.jpg

And I've started on the bridge. It doesn't need to be removable, and I thought the original version looked rather out of place. Anyway, I had the Wills Victorian Bridge parts from a previous layout. I'm going to put a disused railway across it, to use up the leftover SMP sleepers. As the bridge mouldings are damaged, I can hide the broken bits under some rampant greenery. It still needs the centre pillar. I'll cover the balsa with Wills Course Stone, as I have matching wing walls from a different previous layout.

post-7091-0-03895100-1469139184.jpg

Great progress. I can see this one being finished by Christmas!

The iron bridge: I hope you won't mind me being mega-picky, but I very much doubt that structure would have carried a typical railway. (OK, I know that the middle pier isn't finished!), unless it was a very light railway.

Cast iron bridges were got rid of by railways almost entirely by the 1870s (I know of one still in use, but within a depot, not on a running line) after a series of spectacular failures under moving trains. Cast iron is very strong in compression, but snaps like a carrot under the loadings that apply in an arch, especially if the load is applied as a shock, which a train suddenly thundering over it is.

There is a bridge very like yours, on the Festiniog, just downhill of Tan-y-bwlch, so maybe the abandoned railway could be narrow gauge, or what about the remnants of a horse-drawn Plateway?

Anyway, picky, as I say.

Kevin

post-26817-0-89209300-1469169470.jpg

I'm assuming that the closed line was a siding on the trackbed of a former tramway, or some similar excuse. Maybe it was closed because of the state of the bridge! Anyway, this is a model of a model railway, not a model of the real thing!

In their former life they carried a GWR branch line without collapsing! Although after about 35 years the plastic is a bit brittle, which is why I didn't perform delicate surgery to repair the damage. It's not well known that the GWR suffered a loco shortage so severe that they had to hire locos from Colonel Stephens!

post-7091-0-62179500-1469170196.jpg

Whatever it's made from it looks a bit like a mini version of this, and what's crossing it must weigh a bit more than a KS Victory!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1255716

Great progress. I can see this one being finished by Christmas!

Well before that I hope. It's a distraction from the four other layouts I'm building, plus the two I haven't started yet. It's good practice though, as I can relearn and try out techniques without having to worry about realism!

Victoria Bridge, and its brother (Prince Edward Bridge??) are cast iron, so are the exceptions that proves the rule, I admit.

One of them has had a structural steel deck added to it, so that the cast iron doesn't take all the load, but I'm pretty sure that the load is still all through cast iron on the Victoria Bridge, which is why it has a very low speed limit, to control shock-loads.

Below is the more usual form of cast iron railway bridge.

Anyway, I will be quiet now, because I'm guilty of thread hijacking by pedantry.

Kevin

post-26817-0-04050100-1469189321_thumb.jpg

I felt like having a break from breathing in solvent fumes this evening, so I've started a new topic on my layout, and will post news about it there from now on. It will take a while to catch up though.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113287-walkley-goods-yard-1920s-layout-recreated-in-em/

As a final update, this is what I've been doing this weekend

post-7091-0-60258500-1469399131.jpg

Archived