BRM - January 2014

SteveCole

• Administrators

BRM January 2014 + FREE 32-page Supplement

post-14186-0-15053300-1386261934_thumb.jpg post-14186-0-88792600-1386261939_thumb.jpg

4 Amazing Layouts

Our Editor’s Choice layout this month is the stunning O gauge Heyside. Richard Lambert explains how he rebuilt a popular O gauge exhibition layout to suit his space and circumstances. We also have:

•             New Kinmundy - a stunning, frost-covered EM gauge layout

•             Blue is the Colour - an N gauge layout of blue diesel days.

•             Peter’s Street - a modern image 00 gauge layout.

Practical BRM

Improve your modelling with our selection of easy-to-follow Practical BRM articles:

•             Modelling snow and ice.

•             Two-Hour Challenge - build a mobile phone antenna in just 120-minutes.

•             Adapt Bachmann’s new 4F locomotives.

•             A finescale conversion of the Graham Farish J39.

New products

Find out what’s new in the world of railway modelling, plus in-depth reviews of Hornby’s new Star (OO gauge), Bachmann’s L&Y Radial Tank (OO gauge) and Ixion’s Fowler Diesel (O gauge).

FREE 32-page supplement

Don’t miss ‘The BRM Guide to… Building Your First Layout!

Part 1 of this 32-page guide focuses on trackplans, baseboards, track laying and wiring.

Plus…

Q&A

9 Readers’ Layouts

Skytrex Interview

Letters

Diary Dates

The Digital Edition is available to download now!

For more information and links to download the BRM Digital Edition, go to: www.model-railways-live.co.uk/magazine

Watch the preview video here.

• RMweb Gold

Let's hope it won't be sealed in a plastic bag or there'll be one less sale again, I like to see what I'm buying first :-)

I think it will be because there's a free Hornby 2014 calendar with it.Hopefully. ;)

Let's hope it won't be sealed in a plastic bag or there'll be one less sale again, I like to see what I'm buying first :-)

Sorry, but with two separate supplements (at least), the magazine will need to be in a bag. Between here and the reverse of the backing board to the mag, you should get a good idea as to what's inside....

Sorry, but with two separate supplements (at least), the magazine will need to be in a bag. Between here and the reverse of the backing board to the mag, you should get a good idea as to what's inside....

Of course.

Nothing like the problem I had with a tin of baked beans the other week. They were in a solid metal can that I couldn't open to check that they were the colour, size, taste and smell that I would be happy with before I got them home. It's terrible that things are sold in sealed containers. I usually like to have a good rake through things I might buy, use, maul and soil them before putting it back on the shelf and quietly slipping away. :stinker:   :angel:

G.

Of course.

Nothing like the problem I had with a tin of baked beans the other week. They were in a solid metal can that I couldn't open to check that they were the colour, size, taste and smell that I would be happy with before I got them home. It's terrible that things are sold in sealed containers. I usually like to have a good rake through things I might buy, use, maul and soil them before putting it back on the shelf and quietly slipping away. :stinker:   :angel:

G.

So presumably, Grahame, you buy your cars and houses without looking at them, very trusting, faith does still exist.

Cheers Godders

• RMweb Premium

Do you ever analyse sales of "bagged" months versus "unbagged". Like Peter I like to see what I'm buying and more likely to buy if I can peruse it first.  What I'm looking at is articles that interest me, the length of these articles (are they wordy or picture orientated). Is there enough of interest overall? Quite often it may be a small article of particular interest to me that swings it.For example in this edition I'm not really into O Gauge  but it looks a nice layout. Could be interested in the EM  and BR Blue layouts too, but if I can't see them I'll never know.The backing sheet can only give a hint of that. I also tend to find supplements to be of less interest (because they cover old ground, starting a model railway,garden railways etc) , although if there is a free dvd  I may be tempted. Particularly enjoyed the series you did a few years back showing various layouts. I particularly remember Kendale.

So presumably, Grahame, you buy your cars and houses without looking at them,

Humour failure?

You might not have noticed but there's a big difference between everyday consumables, such as something that cost pennies (tin of beans) or a few quid around the price of a pint (like a magazine) than with a major long term investment like a car or house costing thousands of pounds.

Sigh.

G.

Do you ever analyse sales of "bagged" months versus "unbagged". 

Some bagged issues sell more than unbagged; it all depends what the extras are. We try and give a decent preview of what's within whichever way via video and image preview. I have to say Tony's 4F variations article is an excellent step-by-step.

Humour failure?

You might not have noticed but there's a big difference between everyday consumables, such as something that cost pennies (tin of beans) or a few quid around the price of a pint (like a magazine) than with a major long term investment like a car or house costing thousands of pounds.

Sigh.

G.

These days I and many others can not afford to buy many magazines. With the cost of magazines so high it would be nice to be able to compare products (magazines) before buying them. Your argument about their comparative prices is immaterial. We all like to browse and make judgments based on what we see. I can see a need for plastic bags to protect the goods but it surely wouldn't be that difficult to provide a "perusal" copy that wasn't sealed. I very much doubt whether WH Smith sells every copy of every magazine and if they do and the "perusal" copy is the last one they could sell it off at a lower price.

Cheer up Grahame we didn't force you to live in "Byfleet, an old village of  England". If you bought fewer magazines you could afford to move to a new village.

Cheers

Godders

PS just looked at Stoney Lane, top class model.

• Administrators

These days I and many others can not afford to buy many magazines. With the cost of magazines so high it would be nice to be able to compare products (magazines) before buying them. Your argument about their comparative prices is immaterial. We all like to browse and make judgments based on what we see. I can see a need for plastic bags to protect the goods but it surely wouldn't be that difficult to provide a "perusal" copy that wasn't sealed. I very much doubt whether WH Smith sells every copy of every magazine and if they do and the "perusal" copy is the last one they could sell it off at a lower price.

Cheer up Grahame we didn't force you to live in "Byfleet, an old village of  England". If you bought fewer magazines you could afford to move to a new village.

Cheers

Godders

PS just looked at Stoney Lane, top class model.

Apologies, but this issue is bagged. However, whilst I appreciate that it's not the same as flicking through the magazine at newsstand we do make every effort to give you the information to make an informed choice about what's inside the magazine:

* We produce a preview video for you to watch: http://bit.ly/1gae6sB

* We print a mini contents on the back of the backing board, which can be clearly seen through the bag - this includes images of the pages inside the magazine

* We list the content on RMweb

* We list the content on Model-Railways-Live

Hopefully the above will whet your appetite enough to give the January issue a go.

Steve

Cheer up Grahame we didn't force you to live in "Byfleet, an old village of  England".

Eh? I've no idea why you think I don't like living in Byfleet or that I need cheering up. I was the one that introduced some humour but it was you who didn't see the funny side and are the one who can't afford many magazines. Perhaps it's you who needs cheering up.

Oh well, no point in flogging a wrapped horse (oops, sorry, selling a bagged magazine). Besides we've 'bean' there before.  :scratchhead:  

G.

• RMweb Gold

Presumably it will include one of those separate cards (backing board?) showing the contents page?  Rather a neat idea as you can see what's in the mag before you buy.

Mind you if you want to read it for nothing having it in a bag on the shop shelf is not very helpful.

Apologies, but this issue is bagged. However, whilst I appreciate that it's not the same as flicking through the magazine at newsstand we do make every effort to give you the information to make an informed choice about what's inside the magazine:

* We produce a preview video for you to watch: http://bit.ly/1gae6sB

* We print a mini contents on the back of the backing board, which can be clearly seen through the bag - this includes images of the pages inside the magazine

* We list the content on RMweb

* We list the content on Model-Railways-Live

Hopefully the above will whet your appetite enough to give the January issue a go.

Steve

Hi Steve, 

I must give you and your BRM colleagues top marks for at least taking the effort to reply and trying to tempt me into buying your magazine. I have looked through the contents as listed by yourself above, I have viewed the promo video and there is nothing that tempts me except ironically what is contained in the "Free" supplement on building your first layout. Even this is a perverse interest because I have no need for the information therein but being well versed in electrical matters I would be interested in what the articles are proliferating. I usually find that the writers of these articles have no idea about electrical matters and are usually vague in their guidance. 

So thank you very much Steve but I think on this occasion I will not be accepting your offer. However, if I do go into WH Smith I will see if their is a "perusable" copy and may reconsider my decision.

BTW one thing, which is out of your hands, but never the less is pertinent is that for me to go to WH Smith I have to park at the shopping Mall and pay a minimum £2.50 parking which puts up the cost of you magazine to £6.25.

Cheers

Godders

• RMweb Gold

Some bagged issues sell more than unbagged; it all depends what the extras are. We try and give a decent preview of what's within whichever way via video and image preview. I have to say Tony's 4F variations article is an excellent step-by-step.

I'll have to buy it for the calendar ........

Archived