BRM - January 2014

SteveCole

Very kind of you Alan but it's the good modelling which makes such a shot; it would be a very cruel shot if the modelling wasn't of the highest calibre. Normally as soon as you get any figures in shot it destroys the illusion of reality but the reverse is true in this shot as it's a rear view of the two most prominent figures; it's partly accidental but I like the composition of that shot as you naturally follow what the waiting passenger is looking at. As Richard had only just finished the surface of the platform it has a bit of a sheen to it giving the impression of a touch of dampness, particularly appropriate for east of Manchester. There's a couple of minor points I've kicked myself on in that picture but I was probably boss-eyed after masking around the lattice bridge for an hour or more. :)

I must be suffering from something, Luddite-ness or similar,

I cannot see anything on the BRM digital subscription pages I have looked at which are clear  and simply click and subscribe/pay without reference to Android devices and/or Apple devices and invitations to download Apps.

I just want to click, pay, (perhaps by my Paypal a/c) download, and read BRM on my laptop. IE7 usual web capability. I do not particularly want to sign up to Google or Google+, who have become quite intrusive, and appear to me dedicated to confusion and unsolicited e-mails.

In short, where can I find a click, pay, read  BRM  service?

I feel an urge to apologise, yet equally should not have to. I am actually struggling to find a way to pay and subscribe and your pages confuse me dreadfully.

Rob

EDIT  SUCCESS!   managed to register and subscribe via, eventually a single issue offer, using Paypal and Pocketmags,

then the Silverlight reader.

Did not find this simple or intuitive

but maybe I am odd, using as I do a Microsoft Windows 7  IE7 driven laptop, (even though I don't mind Apple and an iPhone4) 

Initial impressions?   I AM a Luddite, the Silverlight reader isn't bad, a learning curve I guess (no problems with most E-activity)

• Administrators

... ah, but neither the OED nor the other refs are quite the technical point of reference for radio equipment ... ;-) It's a point that those of us who work in - or with - the field like to point out from time to time ... hoping to spread the word that fauna and RF transmission equipment are works in different fields ;-)

I'll be honest, I didn't check but even if I had, antennae reads better so if they are interchageable, that's what I'd use. Antennas sounds clumsy to me if you read it out loud. :)

This misses the point however. I made an etched brass kit in under two hours without setting fire to myself!

Thank you

• RMweb Gold

To balance my slightly grumbly post yesterday, I have now read the mag and it was a jolly good read. The 4F and J39 articles were very good (still think the photos are way too small in the latter). As has been mentioned the photography is excellent. I too liked the 2P shot on page 24/25 and was also very much taken with the green rat in the cold on page 34/35 - that board crossing at the end of the platforms looks treacherous! The Austin 7 and 9F on page 18/19 is a cracker and demonstrates that the printers seem to have got the colour balance sorted - much more natural and realistic than a couple of issues ago.

Jerry

A nice thing about on-line reading (or downloading with offline reading) is that one can avoid colour-balance problems if one desires.

My reading of Jan 14 BRM was that colour balance and saturation was good, unlike a lot of printed mags.

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Mind you I think the good Cap'n's interpretation of what ran on the S&DJtR must have reached ultimate expression in the November pic (a 2-BIL at Bleakhouse Road for those who haven't seen it yet).

It wasn't me, I wasn't there, it was him, Guv, the other bloke wot did it!!  :lol:

My first "sub" copy - absolutely first class.Must make mention of Phil Parker's "How to get started" primer-quite the best of that genre I have seen-well done Phil.Thanks also due to whoever thought up the "sub" incentive-a Gaugemaster "combi"-duly received even before the magazine!

Best wishes, Tim.

Having just picked up a copy today I totally agree with you Tim.

Phil is to be congratulated upon this magnificent production, as well as identifying the sources of materials which is most important aspect for a newcomer. It also helps to identify the pitfalls which most of us seem to encounter whilst building our layouts too.

Another idea Phil may want to pick up on is the Sprat & Winkle enquiry he answers-he may want to expand that into a complete article, useful for some who want to move on from the tension lock and it's derivatives

May I as the contributor of the Kinmundy article also thank Andy Y for his superb photos too..... :sungum:

• Administrators

Picking up Martin's point - would a longer piece on couplings be interesting?

How many people might be tempted to look seriously at alternatives to the tension lock supplied with rolling stock? S&W couplings are always popular discussions at shows so should we do more on them and other alternatives?

Picking up Martin's point - would a longer piece on couplings be interesting?

How many people might be tempted to look seriously at alternatives to the tension lock supplied with rolling stock? S&W couplings are always popular discussions at shows so should we do more on them and other alternatives?

It would be a useful article and reference to come back to Phil. I just love the look (or not) of AJs... the fact that you can hardly see them yet they work so well is an absolute master stroke. However, having operated a layout that uses these, I'd advise strong light and a stead hand for the continual loco uncouplings necessary on an end-to-end layout... but they are masterful. S&W are a useful comprimise in my view - allowing a functional coupling whilst being able to keep locos essentially free for detailing both ends. ... yes, an article might be useful, especially if it could cover the pros and cons of each, and where these might tend to be used, e.g. on moving-on-from beginners through to the fine scale offerings that others might wish to consider. Then there's Kadees... not quite right for my 70s era machines... but a possible useful tool for modern image.

Jon

I do not know if this is the same for the other contributing RMWeb members, but I still have not received my contributors complimentary copy of the magazine, so I hope the sections relevant to my contributions came out well?

They're sent out separately from subs copies Pete and the post can be iffy at this time of the year; it should be with you in due course. It came out very well!

Chris Ellis did articles about couplers years ago in the old Model Trains magazine. Of course in the 30+ years since, the hobby has grown, & MT never was very widely circulated, so articles on couplers (I reckon you'd need more than one!) would definitely reach a new audience. For many, alternative couplers are still something of a 'dark art', like Kadees were to UK-outline modellers before the NEM-shank versions became more common...

My favourite pic from the Heyside article is No 6 in the main spread (no 6 in the thumbnails with the trackplan is different); it captures the everyday grime of 1950's austerity very well. Peter's Street is so colourful in contrast, it does show what the appeal of the modern railway is!! ;)

They're sent out separately from subs copies Pete and the post can be iffy at this time of the year; it should be with you in due course. It came out very well!

Actually, I didn't get my one when my Deltic project appeared a couple of months ago; I presumed that it was because I get a subs copy now, so I didn't chase it up. 

... and to follow on from my previous remark (sorry phil) I have been enjoying reading Phil's baseboards section and I'll probably be having a chat in our B&Q early in the new year - it's a new one and they have the cutting equipment... let's hope they know how to use it!

Jon

Bag v no bag.    I find what with all the pre advertising and early comments on here and with mags dating forward it is somewhat confusing to tell which month is the latest.
If I only have the front and back to go off I sometimes end up buying two, one when first released and the other from stock left on the shelf after the next new date.   Being able to look inside would normally allow me to be certain I had read it.
If the only reason for bagging is to contain the giveaways, couldn't.t they be bagged separately or placed with the cashier like weekend mags do.  I think the January BRM had a pocketed clear covering allowing access to the inside detail, I bought it anyway.      EDIT The covering bag I just referred to could be the Hornby mag I got at the same time.

Posted copy v of the shelf copy.  Another hate which somebody could confirm is that of the posted copy quality.   I find there seems to be a drop in the quality of the posted mag.  Mainly in that the paper is very thin and so brittle it easily tears and the printed photos are poorer too.  I ended one mag subscription recently for these reasons.  Do publishers use lighter weight paper so as to save on postage.   I ask this as I'm considering going back to a posted version of BRM.

Digital v Of the shelf.   I like the advantages that digital copy gives but I also like to have a hard copy to turn the page with.  Can not some cheaper option be set up to allow those that have the mag to gain access to the E version detail.   Maybe some QR code could be set inside the mag which you had to scan each time you wanted to gain E access, eg my phone has a suitable scanner app on it.

Like the January BRM very much, great work gents.

Regards

Just a thought, but re the 'bagging' of mags to include extras, would it not be possible to use those 'openable' types, or would they prove too expensive, not secure enough or not fit for purpose??  I feel sorry for the guys who don't go near 'bagged mags'.  They're missing out when it comes to BRM!!!!

As a person who deals with magazine selling on a job basis if the bag is open and the extra taken it reduces the chance of a sale and magazines need to be return in the same quantity or the shop losses money.  

Placing extras at the till would be a nightmare as if one magazine publisher others will following and there is very litte space at the best of times and then there is a chance of the wrong extra going with magazine.

With BRM the front and rear bag shows the relevant detail and the use of videos does help in making a formal choice. One suggestion could be the QR code on the back cover which links to the issue preview video as most phones can read QR codes and watch videos. 

With latest issue I try normally to remove the old issue when I put the new one out and if anyone asks I always check which is old and which is new.

Certain binding process can only work with certain thickness of paper and most publishers bulk buy there paper for a whole range from model railways via cars to mens magazine so a cost by meter equation is done and since model railway magazines have a longer shelf life and greater visual content per page it can not have high quality paper as it would increase ever magazine and most magazines publishers are trying to keep a steady strong revenue of sales

Thanks for that Red.

Ref the paper quality I find there is a difference with one mag when comparing their posted version to their shelf one.   Could that be happening because they want to cut weight and therefore postage costs?  If so the whole mag suffers from the feel to the picture quality in my experience.

The mag in question is Model Rail which charges the same price as most other Railway mags @ £3:75.  

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I love the opening shots of Heyside, and Kinmundy. I've have the digital version and one of the minor advantages is that I can hold the tablet horizontally to see the photos as a whole and without a crease. I know we can't print them off, but it's a shame the photos from the calendar weren't included somehow (or did I miss them?) I was intrigued by the caption on the 4F article "The stock is modified and weathered Hornby Gresley". I wonder what how they were modified. Anyway, for me, it was certainly a good read this month. :)

cheers

Jason

Don't forget your fiends and relatives; they'll all want one. ;)

Fiends - was that deliberate?

Bought my copy yesterday. I liked the 'Guide to building baseboards', particularly Phil Parker's autobiographical 'baseboards I've built' bit. I found that really quite interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the Dinghams!!!

Yes I would like to see true  article showing a comparison of  ALL the different couplings their construction and use

The Q

Liking this month's issue, though it did turn up a couple of days later than usual (but then so is all of our post at the moment).

Just one thought re the digital edition - I also subscribe to the print edition of Autosport, which gives me free access to the digital edition. Said digital edition is also viewable through a standard browser (though doesn't work on Android...) with no downloading of additional software. Something to bear in mind, though I am sure there must be a business-case reason why this isn't done with BRM. It's quite nice when the post has let me down (yet again) to be able to flick through the magazine on the day it should have arrived! I guess it's a bit less critical for BRM being (a) monthly and (b) not primarily news-based.

I enjoyed the first instalment of the "building your first layout" supplement. Just one question - the introduction says that there will be a thread on RMWeb - is there one yet, or am I just too early?

Archived