Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Table saw or Circular saw?

Hello,

In attempt to kick start the modelling mojo I want to build a/some base board(s) and although I am not skilled at the wonders of woodworking but am also not scared of power tools. So in the question posed in the title of the thread is should I go for a table saw or circular saw to cut up the ply I will be using to make said boards, I realise that the shed cut timber but I am get sheet from local supplier and want to make odd sizes. I have thought about other mediums but have settled with ply.

Given that these tools will get sporadic use and the cost differentials of the two platforms (at the lower end) at £30-50 circular and £70-100 for a table saws it would seem foolish to spend more on something that will get taken out once every now and then. However it would seem to be easier to use a table a saw for sheet material and more stable.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated, in fact anything I haven't thought of would be good.

Tom

I use both. For what you want, with the caveat below, I'd agree with Mickey and Mick, a circular saw will be more versatile. Table saws are great for long cuts on 'narrow' timbers. However, large wide sheets are unwieldy to cut on them, you would need one, ideally two, others to support and guide them through. Neither are they ideal for cross cutting.

The caveat here is, are you starting with full sheets? If what you are intending is to obtain sheets already cut down to, say, 30 cms widths, and then you want to further reduce those, a table saw would be good.

Otherwise, you are better laying your large sheet on timbers on the floor, supporting the sheet at appropriate places. Clamp a straight edge alongside the cut line, on my saw the edge of the sole plate is 10 cms from the blade, and away you go. One man job.

This is is not to dismiss table saws, I wouldn't be without mine for the jobs it's good at, just that cutting up large sheet isn't one of them.

I use the following for baseboard construction. Whilst it may seem overkill, I also have an excuse for using them in my line of work.

The Sheppach table saw does not have a large table area and just an 8 inch blade, but it is remarkably well - made (for the price) and currently only £89.99 from Screwfix. The Metabo sliding mitre saw I use again only has an 8 inch blade but can manage a 305mm crosscut. I would be lost without them. I do have a handheld circular saw but find I rarely need it for baseboard construction. A jigsaw, on the other hand, gets plenty of use for fascia profiles. I agree with Arthur that a small table saw is useless for ripping large 8 x 4 sheets. You'd really need a much larger table saw with a sliding carriage which is outside the scope of this thread!

post-17811-0-20184400-1386330188.jpg

A descent jig-saw Black & Decor KS900EK (around £69.99)??? Far more versatile and you should be able to cut up to 85mm thick wood (just a little slower than a circular saw), 5mm of steel, 15mm of aluminium.

Just a thought,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

There are also tables available that you can mount a circular saw in to turn it into a table saw. Circular saws are more versatile and all you need is a table to clamp the sheet to or some saw benches. Easier to store too ;)

I've got a circular saw and a chop saw which is great for cutting timber for baseboards to. I've even cut a 6inch post by turning it carefully.

Get your friendly(?) timber supplier to cut the 8x4 sheet to 4 pieces first and then you have manageable pieces to get into your car in addition to easing the handling issues at home. This smaller size will also be usable on a table saw and can still be cut with a circular saw. For cutting curves, a jigsaw is the best bet anyway and can cut to a straight line if you use a straight-edge as a guide.

Recently built a bed with a circular saw and discovered they're fantastic to use with simple jigs.

I built one jig for notching and to mitre the scaffold planks I used and it was as good as a compound sliding mitre saw shown here

For sheet work, instead of a straight edge from a clamp I made a simple jig made from scrap sheet as shown here...

This gives you perfect alignment and no offset measuring faffing about you'd get from just clamping a straight edge.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

If you are not used to power tools and have to ask the question which one, I'd suggest a decent hard point hand saw, it will take you just a few moments longer to cut the board than it would with either power saw and you'll save money to be spent on top of the boards.     Also there are plenty of chippies out there missing fingers......

If you intend to purchase a hand held circular saw you will need enough suitable trestles on which  to place the board to be cut, as well as the piece you are cutting off.

If you look at my layout topic, all of the boards I recently purchased could of been cut at the timber merchants I purchased them from, and accurately too, worth thinking about.

Many thanks for all the feedback chaps, I have taken on board the advice of the collective wisdom and will look for a circular saw as i now see that it would be more versatile for my needs and I can build a bench to lay clamped sheets on. I have also added a jigsaw to the equation and if funds allow look at the possibility for a chop saw but I think that they maybe too much at the moment. But it is good to know these things.

Thx

Tom

If you are not used to power tools and have to ask the question which one, I'd suggest a decent hard point hand saw, it will take you just a few moments longer to cut the board than it would with either power saw and you'll save money to be spent on top of the boards.     Also there are plenty of chippies out there missing fingers......

If you intend to purchase a hand held circular saw you will need enough suitable trestles on which  to place the board to be cut, as well as the piece you are cutting off.

If you look at my layout topic, all of the boards I recently purchased could of been cut at the timber merchants I purchased them from, and accurately too, worth thinking about.

HI Chris,

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to cut timber without having more bend than an inner tube so which is why I am resorting to power tools. I will look at your thread before moving ahead. Many thanks

Tom

As you're cutting mainly ply the maybe buying a jigsaw first (you can use it with guides) and seeing what you can do with it may be the less costly option, rather then buying both at once. Circular saws and thin ply may be a splinter production factory. AS you're not used to power tools this may be a better introduction.

• RMweb Gold

HI Chris,

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to cut timber without having more bend than an inner tube so which is why I am resorting to power tools. I will look at your thread before moving ahead. Many thanks

Tom

Power tools can cut a bendy line....... just a bit quicker.....

Take care when you use them, the favourite is to cut your own cable, so long as the board/wood is stable and you are able to control the saw you will be fine. And always make sure the blade is sharp and no teeth missing.

An amusing thing I saw on site a few years ago was a brickie attempting to cut a curved profile (for a window) with a circular saw, trying to make the saw "bend" as he pushed it made it kick and buck but none more so than when he encountered one of the scaffold poles he was using as a support, the blade was red hot when he gave up with not one tooth left on it !...he then asked to borrow mine......

@John, I have tried to use a friends jigsaw before and managed to cut a line like the Mississippi so I am shying away from this for any straight work and looking to the c.saw for the long straight cuts.

@Chris, yes I will be v.careful and have the safety glasses ready and have some reinforced boots from previous job. I know what you mean about lending tools, memories of socket sets being ruined when I was into motorbikes.

Circular saws will naturally cut a straighter line than a jigsaw, the length of blade constrained in the cut prevents too much blade drift, unlike jigsaws which can readily wander all over the place. Jigsaws are great for their intended purpose, cutting wavy lines and curves. I take the point about circular saws not being great on very thin ply, but I'd use a hand saw anyway.

Table saw vs Mitre/chop saw? They're clearly for different purposes, but if you can only have one, which is the most useful? Just my opinion and experience, but I'd say my mitre saw is generally more useful, I do more cutting to length than than ripping long lengths down to width.

HI Chris,

Tom

Power saw vs Table saw? It all depends how quickly you want to remove your fingers.

Power saw vs Table saw? It all depends how quickly you want to remove your fingers.

Only if you're a bit of a numpty. In which case you shouldn't be let loose near soldering irons, mains voltage transformers, craft knives, sharp pointy fishplates etc etc etc.

As always, use a bit of common sense, read the instructions and use the recommended eye protection.

• RMweb Gold

It makes little difference whether you use a circular saw or a hand saw if you cannot cut straight with one why would you expect to do so with the other. The last time I was using the circular saw a lot cutting 8x2s for a roof the chippy assisting me had a call from his mate he had just cut off two fingers and his thumb! A decent handsaw will cut through thinish ply fairly quickly.

Don

It makes little difference whether you use a circular saw or a hand saw if you cannot cut straight with one why would you expect to do so with the other.

Don

By clamping a straight edge to the workpiece, and running the circular saws sole plate against, it you will get a perfect straight cut. No skill required.

• RMweb Gold

correct Artur, It would actually be harder to not  get a straight edge doing as you say.........

How anyone can say a hand saw is as easy to use as a power saw really is beyond any form of normal belief :D

It's quite easy really, when you've been a chippy for 30+ years I can mark and cut a sheet of board more accurately with a handsaw before you've plugged in and spent 10 minutes looking for some clamps and something that might be straight enough to use as a guide :blum:

A minor problem is finding something long enough to use as a straight edge that's stiff enough not to bend when you get to the middle of the board, or you could spend longer looking for another clamp .......

TBH if this is the only project the OP was going to do it seemed wasted money spending it on power saws, my xcut cost me £800 (with stand) and circular about £200+ although my jigsaw was brought in 1985 and is still in superb nick and cutting accurately but then I earn my living from them. We were taught that if you didn't understand how to use hand tools your c0ck ups would be bigger with power !

Archived