Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

I have never disguised my liking of Bachmann model railway products and I know I am not alone in wondering what announcements this company might have up its sleeve for the New Year. It is impossible to avoid wish lists but even so a touch of extrapolation might produce a model or two that ends up spot on the nose.

Maybe it is too early to add a further Lanky loco to the well-received 2-4-2T but I feel they will announce a LYR 'A' Class 0-6-0 Tender engine before the next erection. election.

Bachmann has suprised us in the past with wow-factor locos like the S&DJR 2-8-0, Compound, GWR outside frame 4-4-0s and the like. So I will place my bet on a NER Q6 0-8-0 as the next WOW, or a GER 'Claud' 4-4-0.

For the smaller loco with character, I would not be suprised to see the LNWR 'Coal Tank' 0-6-2T to accompany the Super D.

GWR 1923-28 57ft Bow-ended corridor coaches would be a smash-hit considering all the GWR passenger locos there are available RTR with now't to haul!

Over to the soothsayers amongst you.....

I hope all the companies will hold the development down a little and allow themselves to catch up..., I have a crystal ball around here some where. All it keeps showing me though is the budget being stressed by nice blue boxes...

Seriously though I haven't bought any Bachman nor Hornby this year. I think that is due to a lack of interest in what they have released... Curiously one purchase was an 8F in LMS... But there are not many of these produced each year in any livery.

As suggested a Q6 would be perfect. My problem would be keep it as OO or convert it to P4 and compare to the Bradwell kit I have built.

Very keen on Bachmann products myself.

FWIW if think that they have a long term plan for a GNR Atlantic as a tie in with the NRM, realised that they might get pipped to it by Hornby, so announced the quite similar Brighton version to ward of this possibility. I therefore expect the GNR tender to appear behind a J6 at some future point.

The thing about Bachmann's joined up approach is that you never get anything in isolation, so a Q6 as suggested would similarly come as a longer term family of NER types, rolling stock and SceneCraft items. Highly possibly, and would lead to much jubilation in my neck of the woods.

Why is it that trying to fathom out Bachmann's future possibilities is much more satisfying than attempting Hornby's I wonder? 

Very keen on Bachmann products myself.

The thing about Bachmann's joined up approach is that you never get anything in isolation, so a Q6 as suggested would similarly come as a longer term family of NER types, rolling stock and SceneCraft items.

Why is it that trying to fathom out Bachmann's future possibilities is much more satisfying than attempting Hornby's I wonder? 

So you don't think there was any evidence of joined-up thinking in Hornby's release of an L1 and B17 alongside first Gresley then Thompson non-gangwayed stock? We've seen almost zero evidence of Bachmann's "joined-up-ness", at least when it comes to steam-era passenger stock, although they have recently announced a raft of new models (none yet delivered, of course).

I don't understand why praising Bachmann's undoubted achievements has to include a reference to how rubbish Hornby is in comparison, whether or not there is much evidence to support it. For what it's worth, I buy stuff from both manufacturers, as long as it relates to my interests or has some sort of "wow" factor; for me, most of Hornby's products seem to be either very much better or very much worse than Bachmann's, whereas Bachmann's new models (ie, not their ancient pre-BR passenger rolling stock, which ought to be shunted off into a Railroad brand) tend to group more consistently in the "good" range between those extremes.

Paul

I don't find anything wrong with Hornby's products generally, with some reservations about the reintroduction of moulded on details recently, and as you say, the L1, B17 etc and non corridor stock was quite joined up. Though the L1, B1, and O1 are out of my period (though looked great), the Gresley non corridors are about the most welcome models I can think of in years - quite exquisite.

I just can't ever fathom Hornby's strategy hence no attempt at such predictions as such from me.

LNER J15? :yes:

I can't tell you how much I'd welcome this, or a J17. It would make GER passenger branchlines one of the very easiest things to model, using Hornby's superb non-gangwayed LNER stock. It would fit well with Bachmann's small engine policy. And they're both very cute.

Paul

Coachman ...have you no shame .As a respected senior on this forum you should not be emulating the younger flippity gibbets  speculating wildly about models that never appear . :nono:

While I am here however  a J15  is sorely needed  and does appear on the CC calender .

I don't do predictions but I do do forecasts.

I forecast in the middle of December there will be a likelihood of disappointment, plus more than a hint of excitement and a good chance of 'there's nothing in this list that interests me'. This will be repeated in July 2014 and again in December 2014. In between there will be regular rumbles of 'what the heck is Dapol doing?' And for those who face the South West of this fair isle there will likely be some oohs and aahs at unexpected moments.

Well, it is not often I stab the dissagree button. How anyone could miss Bachy's joined up thinking is beyond me :-   :blind:

GCR D11/2, D11/1, GCR J11. ROD 2-8-0

MR 3F, MR 4F 0-6-0. S&DJR 2-8-0

LNER B1, K3, V1, J39, V2, A4, A1, A2. J72.

LMS Crab, MR Compound, LMS Compound, Jinty, Super D, Patriot, Jubilee, unrebuilt Scot, Rebuilt Scot, Fairburn 2-6-4T, Ivatt 2-6-2T, Ivatt 2 2-6-0, Ivatt 4 2-6-0, LMS 10000 Diesel.

GWR 57XX 0-6-0PT, 8750 0-6-0PT, 2251 0-6-0, 45XX 2-6-2T, 56XX 0-6-2T, Hall 4-6-0, 43XX 2-6-0 variants. ROD 2-8-0. GW Dukedog 4-4-0, GWR City 4-4-0.

SR N 2-6-0. SE&CR 'C' class 0-6-0. 

BR Austerity 2-8-0, BR 2-6-4T, BR 5MT 4-6-0, BR 9F 2-10-0, BR 4 4-6-0, BR 76XX 2-6-0. 82XXX 2-6-2T. Variety of BR DMU's, BR Diesel locos and BR AC Electric locos.

Well, it is not often I stab the dissagree button. How anyone could miss Bachy's joined up thinking is beyond me :-   :blind:

GCR D11/2, D11/1, GCR J11. ROD 2-8-0

MR 3F, MR 4F 0-6-0. S&DJR 2-8-0

LNER B1, K3, V1, J39, V2, A4, A1, A2. J72.

LMS Crab, MR Compound, LMS Compound, Jinty, Super D, Patriot, Jubilee, unrebuilt Scot, Rebuilt Scot, Fairburn 2-6-4T, Ivatt 2-6-2T, Ivatt 2 2-6-0, Ivatt 4 2-6-0, LMS 10000 Diesel.

GWR 57XX 0-6-0PT, 8750 0-6-0PT, 2251 0-6-0, 45XX 2-6-2T, 56XX 0-6-2T, Hall 4-6-0, 43XX 2-6-0 variants. ROD 2-8-0. GW Dukedog 4-4-0, GWR City 4-4-0.

SR N 2-6-0. SE&CR 'C' class 0-6-0. 

BR Austerity 2-8-0, BR 2-6-4T, BR 5MT 4-6-0, BR 9F 2-10-0, BR 4 4-6-0, BR 76XX 2-6-0. 82XXX 2-6-2T. Variety of BR DMU's, BR Diesel locos and BR AC Electric locos.

The reference was not to joined-up thinking expressed only in terms of fleets of motive power. It was about power + coaching stock (I'm sure there are different arguments about freight, but I know very little indeed about that side of things).

So, yes, you can argue about pools of locos (though I think you're on very thin ground when suggesting that the SR pool is "joined up"!). But I don't see how you can argue that if you think that locos are designed to haul something...

Having written that, I don't think either manufacturer is particularly consistent here. And at least that means we get lots of interesting surprises.

I would concede evidence of "joined-up-ness" in Bachmann when it comes to BR diesel and electric power, plus Mk1s and Mk2s.

Paul

The reference was not to joined-up thinking expressed only in terms of fleets of motive power. It was about power + coaching stock (I'm sure there are different arguments about freight, but I know very little indeed about that side of things).

So, yes, you can argue about pools of locos (though I think you're on very thin ground when suggesting that the SR pool is "joined up"!).

But I don't see how you can argue that if you think that locos are designed to haul something...

You are arguing....I am merely stating what are to me well-known facts. Maunsells first loco design for the SE&CR was the 'N' Class 2-6-0, the same railway company that built the 'C' class!

Bachmann products :-

GWR mid 1930s Sunshine' coaches. Auto Trailer.

LMS Period I coaches and Period III coaches. LMS/BR 'Porthole stock. Inspection Saloon.

LNE Thompson corridor coaches, and re-tooled Thompsons. 

SR Bullied coaches. SECR 'Birdcage coaches.

BR Mk.I non-corridor coaches, corridor coaches, GUV, BR Pullmans, Mk.II coaches, TPO coaches and Sleeping Cars.

OK, I'll bite.

I don't usually go for these stick your head above the parapet and open your gob threads, but my crystal ball told me this.

Bachmann for too long seem to have avoided the biggest 'Top Link' passenger locos (with the exception of the eastern ensemble of A1, A4 and Deltic). To redress the balance I therefore predict:

King

Princess Royal

Class 87

Additionally the weight of public pressure and froth must point towards:

J15

S15

Q6

Finally the oracle told me a brand new 43xx would be plausible, with the Great War centenary connections in 2014; but I fear with current development/production/delivery timescales, the boat has sailed on that one!

Regards,

Mystic Andy.

The thing about Bachmann's joined up approach is that you never get anything in isolation, so a Q6 as suggested would similarly come as a longer term family of NER types, rolling stock and SceneCraft items. Highly possibly, and would lead to much jubilation in my neck of the woods.

While I would indeed rejoice with the annoucement of a Q6, and indeed hope that such an announcement does herald the start of more NER things coming from Bachmann - I cant help but think this prediction and guesswork is a tad early for the July announcement.

That said, I also agree that as modellers we want the workhorses and engines that got on with working on the railway and Bachmann do make those kinds well. Hence Id rather that NER range came from Bachmann, but will save prediciting it (same as every year!) till closer to the time.  

Archived