Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

With the introduction of the Dukedog, and thereby a Cambrian theme, it would seem to be sensible to revamp the 'Manor' and 43XX models.   At the very least a new chassis is essential.

With the 'Dukedog' chassis and a suitable tender already available creating a straight frame 'Bulldog' could be cost effective if Bachmann believe there is a demand.   The 'Bulldogs' worked a variety of traffic including pilot duties over the South Devon Banks

Given we are just coming to the end of the 'Mallard' Celebrations, is it not time to consider models of the Dynamometer Cars used by the G.W.R., L.N.E.R. and L.M.S.R. that also served British Railways?   When the G.W.R. Car was retired a Hawksworth vehicle replaced it.   They offer an interesting addition to a model railway and an excuse for unusual workings as in real life.   The thought of a model complete with indicator shelter is something I have yet to see on a model railway but I guess someone will have done so.

Prognosticating from Larry's OP:

I feel they will announce a LYR 'A' Class 0-6-0 Tender engine.

I will place my bet on a NER Q6 0-8-0 as the next WOW, or a GER 'Claud' 4-4-0.

For the smaller loco with character, I would not be suprised to see the LNWR 'Coal Tank' 0-6-2T to accompany the Super D.

GWR 1923-28 57ft Bow-ended corridor coaches would be a smash-hit considering all the GWR passenger locos there are available RTR with now't to haul!

Locomotives

Someone will do a 'Claud' and soon. "Hornby or Bachmann Branch-Line?", that is the question. Bachmann chose the improved director (D11) rather than a D10, and while the Super Claud (D16) is a much better choice to encompass BR liveries, given Bachmann's recent pre-grouping efforts, the D14 might tempt them. The D14s were withdrawn by 1931 and would be lovely in GER blue. Perhaps we could still see a D16 in blue given that they were introduced in 1923. So D16 it is then.

For small locomotives with character I'm going to suggest the ex-GER J15. Bachmann could do a terrific job with this, and I'll suggest it even though the GCR J11 is new. Is the J15 Hornby's milieu? Maybe, but not as much as Bachmann. I'm going LNER constituents here because Bachmann have done so many LMS constituent small locomotives lately - the L&Y 2-4-2T the MR 1F, 3F and 4F, etc - plus there are GWR (64xx) and SR (E4 0-6-2T) models in works.

Maybe well see the existing 3F in S&DJR black?

Coaches

Recently Bachmann announced LNER Thompson coaches, LMS porthole coaches and SECR Birdcage coaches. So, whose turn is next???

I'd like to think it will be the GWR. The GWR 1923-28 57ft Bow-ended gangwayed coaches would be an excellent choice and are, I think, a great guess. Wishlisting I'd go with Churchward toplights, but the Collett coaches are a very sensible choice.

Unless of course we see a real wild card - S&DJR coaches in Prussian Blue. I'd love it, but don't seriously think it will happen.

"S"MUs

Bachmann is doing the BR(WR) auto-trailer coach which I imagine should suit the 64xx in BR livery. If not for that I'd be tempted to think they would be the ones to announce the GWR steam railmotor and trailer. Maybe Hornby will claim this turf. We'll just have to see.

A wildcard here is the LNER railmotor. (The L&NW railmotor would be a nice choice too.)

The biggest issue with railmotors as RTR models is that few (if any) of them lasted into nationalisation. None of the GWR motors made it past 1935. Other than that, they are excellent choices for many layouts since they clearly don't need a lot of space to be operated realistically.

If a GW Steam Railmotor sold well to collectors (by this I mean folk who buy anything that appeals to them and do not suffer as I do from historical measles), it's trailer coach would be mighty useful for post steam-railmotor era Auto-trains behind Panners and 0-4-2T's.

GER/LNER 'Claud' 4-4-0's....One I dun earlier........When I think 'Claud', I think of the decorative frame version, not the Gresley rebuild....

post-6680-0-32952500-1386932345_thumb.jpg

If a GW Steam Railmotor sold well to collectors (by this I mean folk who buy anything that appeals to them and do not suffer as I do from historical measles), it's trailer coach would be mighty useful for post steam-railmotor era Auto-trains behind Panners and 0-4-2T's.

GER/LNER 'Claud' 4-4-0's....One I dun earlier........When I think 'Claud', I think of the decorative frame version, not the Gresley rebuild....

attachicon.gifWEB Claud LNER green.jpg

I was going to hit the Like button, but I also wanted tos ay Thanks for that, Craftmanship, and a few others that Andy hasn't yet thought of! Lovely model, great choice. And a Cambridge loco to boot.

Stewart

I'm with you 100% there Larry. I don't think I would be in the market for a D16.

The D14s though with their decorative valences are stunning looking locomotives. Properly decorated, they would be very tempting for people who like the look of pre-grouping locomotives. Less the built-in appeal of people being able to see the SE&CR Wainwight C Class in the flesh (as it were) a D14 in GER blue would easily match, and dare I say surpass, the C Class in terms of eye candy.

Perhaps some clever engineering by the tool makers could produce tooling with alternative parts for the wheel valences and do both the D14 and D16. It would make sense, even for the D14 to do it with the Belpaire firebox, which was a pre-grouping design change. These locomotives do have a very complicated history with lots of visible engineering changes over the years. I guess it depends just how important it is to have a BR variant for the tooling to be profitable.

• RMweb Premium

I guess now that the Colas 70's have finally broken cover, Bachmann will announce one for the orange/yellow team.
I just hope they sort out that cabside tooling............... then they can do 70007 upwards as well.

Cheers,
Mick

Black hat where was that taken? Doesn't look like the NYMR's though it is a me want.... Where's the logo for 4yo self jumping up and down having finished the kit 2yrs ago I thought it should have already been done!

I'm thinking that since they have a liking for 0-6-0 workhorses and with their affection for the Bluebell that we might see the Q Class.

The SECR H or P Class might prove to be a popular addition to expand their SECR railway line. The addition of the Birdcage coaches suggests that this theme might be with us for some time.

I don't know why but although the Adams Radial seems a logical one my gut feeling tells me it'll come from Kernow.

Black hat where was that taken? Doesn't look like the NYMR's though it is a me want.... Where's the logo for 4yo self jumping up and down having finished the kit 2yrs ago I thought it should have already been done!

I think I'm right in saying that that's Rothley Station on the GCR - where it did a number of photo charters with the rake of windcutters. Quite a rare beast when away from North Yorkshire, I'll agree! 

I think I'm right in saying that that's Rothley Station on the GCR - where it did a number of photo charters with the rake of windcutters. Quite a rare beast when away from North Yorkshire, I'll agree! 

Correct!

Rothley station, GCR 

You are indeed right about it being on the GCR during a photo charter. I made the trip down to near by old university of Leicester to see it all happen. The link under the photograph has more pictures of the fine NER example doing what it does best.

As for the Bluebell... the only good Q's have 8 wheels, not six! The come with a plate of authenticity, with something akin to "Made in Darlington" too....

• RMweb Premium

Must admit it'll be several months yet before they announce their new range but as the speculation's all started now I'm might as well contribute ...

New tooling:

They've announced Mk2 air-cons so I think they'll bring out a class 87, they can also produce a NRM special version as 87001 in blue.

Based on their sales success of prototypes in pre-grouping liveries, a Caley 828 0-6-0 class will appear. The survivor ran on the Severn Valley two years ago so any decisions whether they've pursuing this model will have been made by now.

A SECR "Dance Hall" brake van to go with their C class loco, also backdating the SR Maunsell goods van to its SECR origins http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/15750.html

A GCR brake van to go with their J11 and O4.

A buffet car to make a 4-BEP EMU.

Centre car for 101s to be tooled up.

GCR Barnum carriages to go behind the D11 Directors and other LNER locos (long shot??)

Reliveries:

J11 in Great Central lined black

101 in Regional Railways and Strathclyde PTE orange/black liveries (BR double arrow and in ScotRail whoosh schemes)

Other items:

Scenecraft pre-fab (steel-framed) BISF council houses

To go along with Coachmans suggestion earlier- hows about this one.

Very long lived -  they got around a fair bit and Bachmann have already done the lining well on the radial tank for the NRM. May be not next year but who knows ?

!300 Carnforth June 1984

post-1161-0-54065400-1386976623.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have some insider information.

My mate who knows a geezer who last night went to the Peking Authentic Cantonese Restaurant who chatted up one of the waitresses who has a cousin who works in the factory making the Bachmann models says "wait till July".

Prognosticating from Larry's OP:

Locomotives

So D16 it is then. EDIT: (though a D14 would be my preference)

For small locomotives with character I'm going to suggest the ex-GER J15.

I forgot to add the as-built Merchant Navy to my list for July. Conventional wisdom of course that Hornby have most of the bits to do the MN, but Bachmann Branch-Line do have the CAD data, and the Farish version is well underway.

And yes, these are serious guesses.

Peking Authentic Cantonese Restaurant

That's funny! (Seeing as Cantonese is from the old name for Guangzhou which is near .... oh, never mind.)

My predictions:

Retooled class 55 - Now they have bitten the bullet with the new 25's and 40's this is now crying out to be sorted

Another DMU - Either a 104 but more likely a 120 with a follow up of a 119 in 2015

MK1 BSO - Only because I have bought some of the bits to do a conversion and it has been near the top of the wish lists for a while.

Outside chance - A new class 87?

• RMweb Gold

My predictions:

Another DMU - Either a 104 but more likely a 120 with a follow up of a 119 in 2015

MK1 BSO - Only because I have bought some of the bits to do a conversion and it has been near the top of the wish lists for a while.

Would prefer to see them in blue boxes!

Some further coaches and additional parcels stock would be good

Phil

Archived