Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

And maybe a GWR 2-8-0 night owl, to promote the new build project.

I would definitely love to see a big 4700 (particularly in N gauge). Whilst the new-build project will hopefully raise interest in the class, my feeling is that this is more likely to be announced once 4709 is getting close to steaming. I think the loco is still at least a couple of years away from first raising steam.

Or did the prototypes vary enough to make the 43xx family a bit of a minefield?

The GWR Moguls had some variation but not enough to be a serious problem IMHO as the class is well researched and the variations are well documented. The 43xx series are not a great start as most of them were withdrawn during the 30s to provide parts for the Granges and Manors. The 53xxs had weights added to turn them into Red-route 83xxs (and then reverted back again just before nationalisation).

The easiest choice is the 63xxs which actually start from 5390 and run to 7321. These were not significantly modified during their lifetimes. The only major change was the addition of outside steam pipes. Even this is not really a problem as some of the class had them fitted from new and the dates the rest acquired pipes are well documented. So a 63xx mogul with outside steam pipes is valid from 1925 - 1965 without any detail alterations. It also covers all the main livery variations as well as quite a few one-offs.

Although I'm not a WR modeller, surely a properly proportioned model of the Mogul is long overdue.

Any GW or WR layout without a smattering of these is a bit like a model of an ex-LSWR main line with no S15s........

Or did the prototypes vary enough to make the 43xx family a bit of a minefield?

John  

The mogul has common frames and wheels with Manors, Granges and big prairies. Bachmann appeared to be preparing for an upgrade a while back but nothing appeared. I agree with Station master Mike that the Manor may come first with the mogul to follow. Why? It would not make sense for Bachmann to produce a fictitious Kaki City class for the ambulance train if the mogul was imminent, an engine that actually carried Kaki livery.

Just my opinion

Mike Wiltshire

Any further re-chassis jobs will presumably be outside the 3 'new tooling' items promised.

The J39 is getting urgent for a mate of mine as two of his six are showing their age quite badly with the remainder being worked more intensively to cover for them.

One of my Lord Nelsons bit the dust a couple of years ago but the other is still going strong.

John

I used to have '1974' but it went pop years ago. If love another one but I'm dcc now

• RMweb Gold

I've a gut feeling that we're going to see the only Class 8P that BR inherited on New Year's Day 1948 in any great number that has not been retooled post the year 2000. It would infact be a royal poaching from the blue team's main competitor... 

So that would be a Great Western King, then......

Ian

I've a gut feeling that we're going to see the only Class 8P that BR inherited on New Year's Day 1948 in any great number that has not been retooled post the year 2000. It would infact be a royal poaching from the blue team's main competitor... 

No locos with 8P classification were inherited by BR. LMS Duchess, LMS Princess were 7P and the GWR and SR never used the 'P' rating on their King and Merchant Navy locos. BR re-rated them all 8P eventually. 

• RMweb Gold

It seems that both Bachmann and Hornby are looking at certain pre grouping companies.

No doubt that Bachmann are following the Midland and as such the 1P 0 4 4t would be nice with a 2P to modern standards a bonus....

With the announcement of the Atlantic and the E4, can we expect more LB&SCR subjects?

A C2xx could be a good start but a K mogul would make sense...long lived etc..

A H class 0 4 4t to join the C class ???? or even a P class 0 6 0....

Hornby started well with the M7 and T9 from the L&SWR. ...Bachmann could steal their thunder and go for the Adams radial ( OMG!!) or 700 0 6 0 goods..

We shall see.....

Rob

Still stand by my earlier post, with the obvious exception of the Black motor.

However the thought of a Stanier Pacific is intriguing. .......

Maunsell Q anyone ?

To add to this, a couple of wonderfully atmospheric images from the David Hey collection.

Rob

post-14122-0-42206600-1404160142_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-65363500-1404160155_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Now that makes sense, "King Richard III" released in the year of the reburial, by a company with its offices in Leicestershire. Useful tie-ins.

Unfortunately the reburial is scheduled for next year, a few years too early for Bachmann to have a loco ready at their current rate!

• RMweb Gold

Thats alright Leicester council isn't always on schedule over 3 year's to move main offices and that's with insurers not wanting to insure the building on the account of the floors falling out with the walls

• RMweb Gold

now ive seen the lower image above, I finally have seen a loco that resemble james from thomas and friends! a long mystery solved!

Far from it - in many respects.  James is a Belpaire firebox inside cylinder 2-6-0 and as such very closely resembles the Dublin & South Eastern 2-6-0s of 1922 or the CR Drummond 'Austrian Goods'.  However reputedly Awdry stated that  James was based on an L&Y Class 27/28 0-6-0 with an added pony truck.

So maybe Bachmann are working on the L&Y engine?

Now that makes sense, "King Richard III" released in the year of the reburial, by a company with its offices in Leicestershire. Useful tie-ins.

Also a play by William Shakespeare, which was quite a popular loco name. There's no point duplicating a Britannia, but the name was carried by a class 87...

• RMweb Premium

Can't be long now before we are put out our misery. When is the announcement? Mind you at Bachmanns current higher prices, this announcement could well be irrelevant ......................unless it's. caley 812!

• RMweb Gold

This thread generally concentrates on locomotives, but Bachmann have a good reputation for wagons too.

They are well on the way to having a brake van for each of the 'big four' and BR; once they finish that, how about a similar range of cattle wagons?  

John

• RMweb Premium

Ah wagons, a nice ex LNER Flatrol EN would go down a treat, with its counter balance arms and the two war flats and pair of 4 wheeled flatrols that went with it. Or a BR boiler EB. Might be a bit difficult to get them to go round 2nd radius curves. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I'm going on holiday on the 12th. What's the betting that by the time I'm back home in early August and can read the new releases thread without paying mobile roaming charges, it will already run to the 41 pages this thread has reached :locomotive:

It's increasingly unlikely now, given the news of how much another run of the midland Pullman would cost to produce, but how about an APT-P? I have a gut feeling that with Rapido announcing the APT-E and the current buzz (pun intended) for a new selection of AC electrics, that a new APT-P isn't far behind.....

Despite this, I'm going to keep my head firmly in the region of 'Air Smoothed' Merchant Navy, Class 87 and either a medium sized ex-LSWR SR engine or a Stanier pacific

if anyone were to look to APT-P i would bet on Rapido having a sniff. certainly pricewise if the APT-E is anything to go by most people would rather pay Rapido prices than Bachmann prices especially if a rerun of the BP is thought to cost around £550 if it were released today.

...What's the betting that by the time I'm back home in early August and can read the new releases thread ...it will already run to the 41 pages this thread has reached

Think that's bad? After 18 pages of froth you will read that all the best releases went on sale July 21st, 24 pages further that all sold out in three days flat, and then there are 13 more pages of folks bemoaning their appearance on eboy at 100% mark up.

Cancel that holiday now...

Archived