Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Please try to be more specific.

OK...I'll try....Webb Coal Tanks and G2's operated on the Abergavenny to Merthyr line until closure in the late 50's.I believe 58926,along with aG2 headed the final S L S special.

Sometime in the mid 50's,Abercynon shed...88E....used this Webb tank as a banker for freight trains on the steep climb to Quaker's Yard...a real oddity,as an ex-LMS loco was unheard of on this stretch Valleys lines...despite the fact that Tredegar shed used G2's on Barry Island excursions.

Source...me...then a schoolboy spotter who regularly used the Aberdare-Abercynon auto train on visits to Cardiiff General to spot Canton's gleaming new Brits (70025 to 29),Landore's Castles and also rans from Old Oak Common.

An obvious cheapo would be a parallel R.Scot on the baby Scot chassis but maybe that market is played out. Then there is the Caprotti 'Black Five' that every London Midland follower would surely buy, or maybe not. The S15 looks to be an obvious choice for the Southern but maybe Bachmann consider this area is looking for something a little more branchline-ish like an 'H' tank....... And why not. The LNW Coal Tank came up in the very first post and has been mentioned many times over the 1,280 pages, so it would be a shame if it doesn't happen now.........Especially as I have gone back to 1953 and reserved my recently painted BR maroon coaches for the 'Funny Hour'!

I would buy a SE&CR 'C' class just for the chassis but I'm awaiting Sundays model forecast in case there is a amber warning about the arrival of showers of Lanky 0-6-0's..! 

• RMweb Gold

Would Bachmann see a good return in going for 3 of Hornby now dated and in need of upgrading gems GWR king a SR spam (original) can a LMS princess royal or Coronation.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Mike

• RMweb Premium

An obvious cheapo would be a parallel R.Scot on the baby Scot chassis but maybe that market is played out.

The hoi polloi seem inexplicably unmoved by LMS 3-cylinder 4-6-0s, so you may be right.  On the other hand, I believe all previous Bachmann Scots have been on the split chassis, so there may be enough of a groundswell for replacements to drive it.  It wouldn't be a new tooling though, so strictly falls outside the magic three.

Well with only a few days to go before the announcement I am going to put my tuppence worth in.

I am going for an SECR 0-4-4T Class H to go with the birdcage stock. It will fit in nicely with their growing range of SECR locomotives Bachmann produce.

I think an LNER C1 is on the cards - they are virtually identical to the LBSCR Marsh Atlantic which they were going to produce announced last Sept and will also tie in nicely with their NRM range. I am guessing they could do a special NRM only model of a C2 (Henry Oakley) using the chassis of this model at a later date.

After this the crystal ball goes hazy so I am going to have a guess of an NBR Class C or LNER J36. 0-6-0 Freight engines are in vogue with both Bachmann and Hornby. As Bachmann have already announced they have dropped proposals for a J15 as Hornby have announced theirs, would they see this as an alternative? A Scottish loco, to possibly go with the D11/2 "Scottish Directors" they already produce and also it ties in nicely with the anniversary of WW1 - plus "Maude" is preserved and currently at the NRM.

I doubt there will be any carriage stock announced as  there was many announced last year.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I ain't sayin' nuffin' however someone on here (I think) knows where I will be on Tuesday week.  On a different front a bit of retail trade intelligence today repeated the information that there will be three new models (presumably for 00) consisting of one each of a loco, a coach, and a wagon.  To me the only coach which makes sense on its own is some sort of 'special' such as an auto coach, or saloon or inspection coach (or possibly a single unit diesel car?), haven't got a clue what wagon but could be a brakevan perhaps.  And of course there might be something else, maybe?

So my money now goes on a Coal Tank, a single unit diesel railcar or possibly an inspection saloon, and a GWR freight brakevan.  Regrettably i'm usually well wrong in these guessing games so if you get a GWR gas turbine or a B16 you'll have to blame me. 

Isn't there a Hawksworth autocoach for the 64xx somewhere out in the Kuiper Belt?  Ditto the LMS inspection saloon?

Yes, Bachmann announced them in March 2013, along with the 64xx.

Coaching Stock

BR Auto Trailer

39-575                   BR Auto Trailer BR Crimson & Cream                                                                       TBA

39-576                   BR Auto Trailer BR Maroon                                                                                          TBA

39-577                   BR Auto Trailer BR Crimson                                                                                          TBA

LMS District Engineers Inspector’s Saloon

39-775                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon LMS Lined Maroon                                                  TBA

39-776                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon BR Maroon                                                                  TBA

39-777                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon BR Blue & Grey                                                          TBA

... there will be three new models (presumably for 00) consisting of one each of a loco, a coach, and a wagon.  To me the only coach which makes sense on its own is some sort of 'special' such as an auto coach, or saloon or inspection coach (or possibly a single unit diesel car?), haven't got a clue what wagon but could be a brakevan perhaps.  And of course there might be something else, maybe?

Mike, could these three (loco, coach and wagon) be 25th anniversary items?

Perhaps they go together as a theme?

The brakevan of course is that S&DJR brakevan I'm looking for. (Just kidding.)

If these three were the entirety of the announcement it's thin pickings compared with recent years. For 2013/14 we saw

Class 24/1

Class 43 ‘Warship’ Diesel Hydraulic

Midland Class 1F 0-6-0T

LMS Stanier Mogul 2-6-0

Class 64XX 0-6-0T

Class E4 0-6-2T

Wickham Type 27 Trolley Car

V1/V3 2-6-2T Tank (DCC Chassis Upgrade)

Then later in the year they announced the Brighton Atlantic.

And that's just the motive power, none of which (if I'm not mistaken) have appeared.

Really?

Yeah I would imagine so. Bachmann are clever at working out how they get the most out of models. Given the similarites between the Brighton one and the GNR one Id say that its much like the LMS Compund and the City class being done. One is NRM the other is similar and can also be released. Two models out of one R+D, with lots of good PR.

Credit where its due. Its a good idea and Bachmann are right to persue something like it....

Mike, could these three (loco, coach and wagon) be 25th anniversary items?

Perhaps they go together as a theme?

The brakevan of course is that S&DJR brakevan I'm looking for. (Just kidding.)

If these three were the entirety of the announcement it's thin pickings compared with recent years. For 2013/14 we saw

Class 24/1

Class 43 ‘Warship’ Diesel Hydraulic

Midland Class 1F 0-6-0T

LMS Stanier Mogul 2-6-0

Class 64XX 0-6-0T

Class E4 0-6-2T

Wickham Type 27 Trolley Car

V1/V3 2-6-2T Tank (DCC Chassis Upgrade)

Then later in the year they announced the Brighton Atlantic.

And that's just the motive power, none of which (if I'm not mistaken) have appeared.

I was thinking something similar....

... there will be three new models (presumably for 00) consisting of one each of a loco, a coach, and a wagon.

Like this?

No wait, Bachmann already announced this one instead.

Perhaps some Colonel Stephens Light railway special with a 0-4-0ST (numbered 25), short six-wheeled coach and a brake van? Something like a Weston, Clevedon and Portishead would be nice, of course Hornby already re-treaded a Terrier for that.  (Of course that's just me being whimsical.) 

Not nearly as whimsical as the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited though.

What we have as a 25th anniversary item is 24-2014 (the boxed Jubilee and Class 47). Will there be more? I'm thinking yes.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking something similar....

It does seem to be the case that this year's (retimed) announcements) will be limited in number.  Makes sense when you think how much is still to arrive from last year's announcement plus next year's is supposed to be going back to the original time of the year or thereabouts.  Mind you i suppose that 'three items' could turn out to be three locos but the rumourtrol info I've been given (twice now) is 1+1+1  in the mix I outlined above.

And I would have thought the NRM would be very wary f something appearing from Bachmann, albeit in a different colour etc, at the same time as its own release - might not have a very positive effect on their sales.  Anyway I doubt what we think and are guessing at matters all that much as Bachmann might well have played a dummy recently and there will be a shiny Q6 sitting at the launch on Sunday with Aerolite waiting in the wings.

I ain't sayin' nuffin' however someone on here (I think) knows where I will be on Tuesday week. On a different front a bit of retail trade intelligence today repeated the information that there will be three new models (presumably for 00) consisting of one each of a loco, a coach, and a wagon. To me the only coach which makes sense on its own is some sort of 'special' such as an auto coach, or saloon or inspection coach (or possibly a single unit diesel car?), haven't got a clue what wagon but could be a brakevan perhaps. And of course there might be something else, maybe?

So my money now goes on a Coal Tank, a single unit diesel railcar or possibly an inspection saloon, and a GWR freight brakevan. Regrettably i'm usually well wrong in these guessing games so if you get a GWR gas turbine or a B16 you'll have to blame me.

I wonder if a large breakdown crane could be classed as a wagon for that part of a possible trio. It would certainly be

a statement.

It does seem to be the case that this year's (retimed) announcements) will be limited in number.  Makes sense when you think how much is still to arrive from last year's announcement plus next year's is supposed to be going back to the original time of the year or thereabouts. 

Agreed, this makes sense that the list will be shorter. But down to just three items?

Though looking back at last year, if you scroll to the bottom of the list, you see what was still undelievered as of the March announcement from previous years:

Awaiting Delivery

Modified Hall (DCC Chassis Upgrade)  ... and we're still waiting for this one.

‘A’ Containers for Conflats

Production stage

LMS Class 4F

BR MK1 Sleeper

Artwork Stage

3200 Earl Class

LMS 10000/10001

Class 40

L & YR 2-4-2 Tank (Hand painted sample) Please note revised running numbers

LMS Porthole Coaches

Bulk Grain Bogie Hopper (Hand painted sample)

CovHop (Hand painted sample)

EP Sample stage

LNER J11 (Hand painted sample)

Midland 20T Brake Van (Hand painted sample)

PCA Metalair Bulk Powder Wagon (E.P Sample)

In the tool room

Class 101 DMU

LNER Fish Van

At the CAD design stage

Class 158 DMU

Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2 Tank DCC Chassis Upgrade

SR PLV Van

So it's pretty normal for Bachmann to have a big back-log and still announce a big programme of new items. Having said that, the industrial problems they have experienced in China may set them back a bit for 2014/15.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if a large breakdown crane could be classed as a wagon for that part of a possible trio. It would certainly be

a statement.

Hi Spackz

A breakdown crane, now that would be nice. An LNER wartime 45 tonner or an uprated 35 tonner to 50 ton LMS one. I would even settle for a LMS Ranson Rapier 30 ton. 

Archived