Making buffer stop light dimmer

I have fitted three buffer stops with 3v red stop lights. I have used the 'daisy chain' method for connecting the lights together with one resistor fitted at the end of one wire.  The light is still however too bright.  How can I reduce the brightness. Thanks Kevin.   

If you are using LEDs then one way is to mount the LED somewhere such as under the baseboard and use a fiber optic to transmit the light to the stop light. I would suggest looking at one of Steve Hewitt's signal building threads as he does the same thing to simulate an oil lamp. Alternatively you could try fitting a resistor with a higher rating to reduce the brightness.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

As Michael as posted, I use Fibre Optics to carry light from an LED below the baseboard to where its needed on a structure.

The main reason is simplicity and keeping the lamps to a scale size.

Here is the prototype lighting installation for series of LNWR buffers which are going onto Liverpool Lime Street:

post-3984-0-72923800-1386452447_thumb.jpg

From the rear, you can see the fibre optic coming out of the top of the "Water" cylinder and into the rear of the lamp.

post-3984-0-03624600-1386452751_thumb.jpg

Fitted from underneath is this brass turning, into which is fitted the lower end of the Optical Fibre.

post-3984-0-26635000-1386452443_thumb.jpg

Also in here are two thicknesses of MSE Signal Spectacle colour filter.

The two thicknesses reduce the intensity of the light from the LED which is also located located in this turning like this:

post-3984-0-52422500-1386452445_thumb.jpg

The LED is a "Gas Light" from Helmsman Electronics, which has a nice soft colour tone rather than the common White LED.

This LED has also been lightly painted with some "birty black" matt paint which again reduces the light level.

The effect we require is just a hint of light when the buffers are viewed from the front, which is a view we'll never get when the layout is fully erected!

I'm also about to experiment with some Red LEDs I bought earlier today at Maplins.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve Hewitt.

The simplest option would probably to just replace the resistor with one with a higher resistance. At only 3V it's unlikely you'll need anything over a 0.25W resistor, even for a Megaohm rated resistor. Are the lights LEDs or incandescent (grain of wheat/grain of rice) bulbs?

Archived