Editors musings

Expanded polysyrene buildings by Roger Merry

Airbrushes and the art of reviewing by Ian Rathbone

A half sunken barge by Peter Johnson

Letters

Milton station by Geoff Taylor

A better beatle by Trevor Pott

Diary

David is kindly giving us a taster of what the new MRJ contains, but I've deleted the posts which come every issue concerning 'who is the editor this issue'.? ? This is just as bad as 'I haven't received my copy of xxx in xxx yet'.? ? It's pointless - just wait until people get their copies and then we may even get some constructive comment on the magazine content itself.

It's another corker, but if you want to know who the editor is, you'd better buy the mag! But he does have one of the most sensible editorials I've seen in any magazine for quite a while.

At first glance I found Roger Merry's article on buildings from expanded polystyrene the most fascinating. The material (the food-grade sort) certainly isn't one that I would have thought of, but the effects he gets are mind-blowing. Worth the price of admission on its own, I think!

It's another corker, but if you want to know who the editor is, you'd better buy the mag!

Given the admin posts above, I dont really see why somebody couldnt just mention it in thread, then nobody would need to ask. It's not like it's embargoed, is it ;)

• RMweb Premium

I look forward to reading Martin's update on Burford. As he's one of our local EM Group we've had the benefit of seeing the updates first hand. I wonder how heretical the article is going to be ;)

I look forward to reading Martin's update on Burford. As he's one of our local EM Group we've had the benefit of seeing the updates first hand. I wonder how heretical the article is going to be ;)

Considering the fun he's been having on the S4 Soc website these last couple of days it should be an interesting read! http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=693&sid=fcab8bb319aa83027afe9c4f7e1bbb5c He did mention in that thread the layout being listed as EM when he built the track to P4 (if not the stock..).

Quite an issue.

The Patriot valve gear. OMG

The Beetle. At last the definitive answer to recent threads about the underside of GW wagons with DC 111 brake gear. Inspirational.

Other articles ain't bad either and the most positive editorial that I have read in years.

Not looked at the catologue yet. Better not as it's an invitation to spend too much money.

Bernard

It's another corker, but if you want to know who the editor is, you'd better buy the mag! But he does have one of the most sensible editorials I've seen in any magazine for quite a while.

I concur another cracking issue, I'd love to see some more details of the 7mm Milton layout, the glimpses we got were very tantalising with the mail train in the platforms - the revolving editor is working well at the moment.

As you mention a good editorial - mainly because I can so readily identify with it. I can guarantee when I get back to work on Monday the main topic of conversation will be something that's been on television. Probably some "important" football match as our local lads (Preston) were playing Chelsea for some reason. As mentioned in the editorial just too many projects on means that I don't have any time for the TV. If it wasn't for the kids then I'd quite happily ditch the TV.

Adrian

Never mind that. I was interested in the use of ball-bearing axleboxes. Surely a 4mm application here also cool.gif

Its difficult getting them small enough for 4mm, we discussed it on here within the blog of the build of the S7 um K2 was it... :unsure: . edit: it wasn't, it was http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/60/entry-206-mok-14xx/#comments :)

Still waiting for my copy to turn up at the club bit i did enjoy a little look in Smiths earlier when picking up Air Modeller where someone mastered a 2 seater lightening nose in car body filler :O.

<br />I was surprised by the use of cut outs in the chassis sideframes as hornguides though. I guess if it's good enough for Tony......<br /><br />Richard<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi Richard,

Tony Reynalds told me years ago that he just allows his axleboxes to rest at the top of their guides and just allows downward movement. Looks like his principles still stand true to this day. He`s even used fixed axles too !. SHOCK !!!!!!

Kindest

Ian

<br /><br /><br />

Hi Richard,

Tony Reynalds told me years ago that he just allows his axleboxes to rest at the top of their guides and just allows downward movement. Looks like his principles still stand true to this day. He`s even used fixed axles too !. SHOCK !!!!!!

Kindest

Ian

Exactoscale wagon springing works in the same way with only downward deflection as opposed to the other method of allowing it to float.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

David is kindly giving us a taster of what the new MRJ contains, but I've deleted the posts which come every issue concerning 'who is the editor this issue'.????????This is just as bad as 'I haven't received my copy of xxx in xxx yet'.????????It's pointless - just wait until people get their copies and then we may even get some constructive comment on the magazine content itself.

But I rather like the posts regarding who the latest editor is. If you don't find a post interesting, don't read it. Its not as if its offencive or anything.

Just bought a copy in WHSmiths - an excellent issue, I think I'm going to take out a subscription to the mag!

The shot of the Class 25 on Canada Road is fantastic and it's nice to see Pete Harvey's PH Designs etchings in the Small Suppliers section :)

Not to sure on styrofoam building though! The walls looked great but to me the roofs lacked a bit of finesse!

Looking forward to seeing the 7mm layout shown in the Portfolio section on the bottom of one of the pages too - the scenic work looked fantastic.

But I rather like the posts regarding who the latest editor is. If you don't find a post interesting, don't read it. Its not as if its offencive or anything.

A discussion about the merits of the guest editor and the content of the magazine is interesting. Repetitious posts on the lines of 'who's the editor this issue' and 'go on tell us then' are just chaff which we have to tidy up.

Archived