DC Controller 'Basin Street'

tom80smith

Hi, I am looking to construct a suitable analogue dc controller for a new n-gauge layout, by suitable I mean reasonably cheap, satisfiying to build/ use and improves my electronics skills. I have come across this http://www.merg.org.uk/merg_resources/other.php, on the MERG website, under Controllers - Basin Street Controller, on the bottom half of the page; would anyone know if this controller is suitable for n-gauge, (HO is mentioned in the text description), without modification, thanks.

I have had a quick squint at the documentation and would say it looks fine for N - it's usually more of an issue if you are looking at running a controller for a scale larger than that which it is stated for as it may not supply sufficient power but scaling down works great I have found.

MERG units are solid and reliable and I have had really good experiences with their DCC units over the years.

Tom,

the MERG controller may be good, no question. But in my opinion it is overly complicated.

Per my experience this controller is absolutely sufficient, it is simple but does put most PWM-controllers to shame. Its slow running is excellent and it's suited to coreless motors. This and another rather simple design are the controllers I like most.

Regards

Armin

Thanks for the replies, Armin, I am also considering the controller you linked, it is simple and seems to get good recommendations on performance. My main reason for looking at more involved controllers is for the experience it brings in researching and building; I think it maybe a good idea though to start with the simple controller and look at ways to make additions in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Just came across your entry. I have an NCE system at home which is fine for what I want and have built a MERG setup for my club. I'm not at all electronic savvy but if you can build a kit of any description and you can solder, then you can build a Merg kit as they are really well designed and the instructions are very clear (and yes I am a Merg member!)

However, the build for the throttle is not for the faint hearted as there are a lot of components, many are surface mounted and very fiddly to do. That said, I've built two now and they both work. To buy their kits, you do need to be a member and it might be best to first join up and then try out some of their simpler kits such as the Gas Light Twinkler which is now available in both through the hole and surface mount and are both great fun to build.

Brian

Another option you might consider is an Arduino Uno. It is easy to program and has the ability to produce PWM outputs and take analog inputs, for example from a potentiometer. You would only need to add some parts to amplify the power that is controlled by the PWM signal (usually referred to as a h-bridge). The Arduino board can't produce enough power to drive an electric motor. While you need to connect it to a PC to program it, once it has been programmed there is no need for a PC. There is a huge amount of advice available on the Arduino Forum.

...R

Hi, I am looking to construct a suitable analogue dc controller for a new n-gauge layout, by suitable I mean reasonably cheap, satisfiying to build/ use and improves my electronics skills. I have come across this http://www.merg.org.uk/merg_resources/other.php, on the MERG website, under Controllers - Basin Street Controller, on the bottom half of the page; would anyone know if this controller is suitable for n-gauge, (HO is mentioned in the text description), without modification, thanks.

Look at this topic: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41365-basic-dc-controller/

• 3 weeks later...

I was the group leader for the original Basin Street, a Manchester Model railway Society American switching layout, I am actual seeing the maker of the controller and wiring tomorrow so will ask directly . The original layout ran DC most of the time (it's nearly twenty years ago I think!) and was convertible to DCC via some witch craft in the control system. I suspect you will find as has already been mentioned an off the shelf dc controller of good quality is the way to go. The one thing I can recommend is the current MERG dcc system is very cost effective if you have the skills required to put it together. Mine included base station, 2 throttles 3paired throttle ports and USB interface for less than £140, mind you the guy who was responsible for a lot of the design did put it all together for me! Just been running trains with an android phone and JMRI (more witch craft).

• Like 1

I suspect you will find as has already been mentioned an off the shelf dc controller of good quality is the way to go

But not the way to improve your electronic knowledge or skills which the OP put as his objective, either the simple controller Armin linked to or the basin street version would better fit the purpose and will be just as good and significantly cheaper than any commercial offering.

Regards

Keith

So long as you're only running small loco's that don't draw too much power, MERG PMP10 Kit "Speed controller" is pretty good. I've running some larger loco's with it on our club test track and after about 20 laps(14feet by 6feet) the heat sink has warmed only a little. It's very cheap to members and with the addition of an enclosure, a cable and plug and a potentiometer knob, you can have a pretty unique controller for less than a tenner. It takes about half an hour to put together.

The only things extra I added were a DPDT centre off switch for direction control and an extra heat sink on the regulator. It doesn't zero the voltage, it's down to about 1.2 to 10 volts range, so fitting the centre off switch means nothing has power going to it.

If you're not entirely happy with it, then It's also handy for running things like a windmill, helicopter or anything with a motor in it.IT also doesn't break the bank if it goes ###s up.

Andy.  

• 5 years later...

I built this lovely little controller from Ken Stapleton (http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/851.HTM) before switching to DCC  via MERG.

Still available as a kit, it's one of the smoothest controllers I've used; excellent low speed performance, and small enough for hand-held use. You may need to figure out a way to connect it to power and to track (I used a 5-pin DIN  plug and socket on the home-made transformer box...) but it's well worth the effort.