• RMweb Premium

I've not been back since that December 16 visit (post 48) and as I say, this is my closest model shop as I'm just 8 miles away.

Working in Crewe though, I can pop into Trident Trains near Nantwich on my way home, if there's anything I need in a hurry, or don't want to pay p&p for.

Edited by Scottish-Exile

• RMweb Premium

I was in there the week befoire last needing a Peco finescale point for myself and a wagon for my Dad's Father's Day present...well, sorry folks but the place is but a shadow of its former self - hugely overpriced 'basics' (the point was £4.50 dearer than most other places so I left it) and the same secondhand items were on the shelf from the previous year, probably due to their unrealistic prices.  Hugely disappointed to find the railway section has now shrunk to a few cabinets and wall displays around the till upstairs; the rest being mostly cars, boats, planes, wargaming kits and associated static models.

I bought an Oxford Rail wagon as I felt sorry for the owner having remembered the shop from former times, but left feeling quite dispondant...

David

That's a shame.

I've never visited this shop, but I keep intending on popping in on a day trip sometime whilst doing the touristy things.

Unfortunately most of my visits to Chester are a quick one in the Wetherspoons whilst waiting for a train connection or if there is someone I like on at The Live Rooms.

Jason

Hi Alex, you will be pleased to know we have no connection whatsover with Modelzone. Currently we have Penketh Model Rail Centre in Warrington (which will remain open)  ut Chester wil give the opportunity to extend our range of products in much larger premises.

Always nice to see a new one open up, especially after so many closures. Just a shame about the distance otherwise I'd pop along. Do you have a website yet? Maybe I'd still be able to support you guys via mail order.

• RMweb Premium

Always nice to see a new one open up, especially after so many closures.

You're quoting a 5 year old post, and as the more recent posts in the thread report, unfortunately Chester Model Centre is a shadow of what it once was.

Penketh model railways was a good little shop. What went wrong?

Used this shop many times since it opened and sadly have to agree - I think what went wrong is called on-line shopping / ebay etc.

Shops hit by big hikes in rentals and business rates in places like Chester will always struggle to compete (as happened to Modelzone).

Sadly I think the days of model shops on the High Street will soon be history. Bagnalls in Stafford used to be my favourite model shop as a child - now long gone.

• RMweb Premium

Shops hit by big hikes in rentals and business rates in places like Chester will always struggle to compete (as happened to Modelzone).

Agree. Never knew the Penketh store as I only got back in to model railways a couple of years ago. However, I guess the rates in the city centre are extortionate and consequently, they now stock what sells : the cars, planes and wargaming stuff and not model railways.

Another city centre toy store closed recently after more than 50 years, blaming the high rents and the lack of footfall in the city centre.

https://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/great-sadness-beloved-chester-toy-14459145

As I said in my own previous post, I'm part of the problem. This is a local store, and yet I buy most stuff online or at shows and if I need something in a hurry, I can nip into Trident Trains where there is ample free parking right outside the door. A shame to see shops struggle and close, but it's the way of the world these days.

Was thinking about it recently. The number of cities (never mind towns) with no high street model shop is alarmingly high.

Modelzone’s closure decimated the presence of model shops on the high street in one fell swoop...

Was thinking about it recently. The number of cities (never mind towns) with no high street model shop is alarmingly high.

Modelzone’s closure decimated the presence of model shops on the high street in one fell swoop...

True, I guess the larger stores like Hattons and Rails Sheffield survive because they have a big on-line presence.

Chester Model shop (recently improved) and Modelzone both had very poor websites. 

True, I guess the larger stores like Hattons and Rails Sheffield survive because they have a big on-line presence.

Chester Model shop (recently improved) and Modelzone both had very poor websites.

Even the cities with outlets often have them way away from the casual passer by so there’s no casual interest or profile now. Where I live Leeds, Hull, Doncaster and Sheffield still have outlets but none of them would attract casual interest as they are outside the area

Bradford has none at all.

• RMweb Premium

Even the cities with outlets often have them way away from the casual passer by so there’s no casual interest or profile now. Where I live Leeds, Hull, Doncaster and Sheffield still have outlets but none of them would attract casual interest as they are outside the area

Bradford has none at all.

Frizinghall at Baildon isn't too far to go

Yes but we know of it. The mainstream high street awareness/ profile of train sets isn’t there any more, which is what I mean.

True, but with the demise of High Street shopping due to exorbitant parking charges / travel costs etc I don't think this makes much difference anyway. Traders have moved out to cheaper areas to base a business. 

Back in the day (1960's in my case) a visit to your local model shop was a real treat. Nowadays most prospective modellers would browse the internet.

I also think the interest in model railways (like other hobbies) amongst the younger generation has suffered due to changes in society, family time and budget constraints and a image of it being for Dads and Grandad's only.

Maybe this was always the case - after all how do kids get involved - and there is still appeal with the like of the Thomas type events helping to promote the hobby.

• RMweb Premium

Used this shop many times since it opened and sadly have to agree - I think what went wrong is called on-line shopping / ebay etc.

Sadly I think the days of model shops on the High Street will soon be history. Bagnalls in Stafford used to be my favourite model shop as a child - now long gone.

Although Bagnalls model Shop in Stafford has long gone the good news is we are fortunate in having a new dedicated Model Railway Shop in Stafford Topp Trains.

Topp Trains are in there 5th year of operation, the shop is about a 10 minute walk from Stafford Town Centre and about the same time from J14 of the M6 if you are driving

Free parking outside the shop and is run by two Railway Modellers Mike & Steve

It really is like Aladdin’s cave for both new and pre loved Models .

Give it a visit, you won’t be disappointed

A satisfied customer

Eltel

• 5 months later...

Dropped in today as an escape from Christmas shopping, walked away very happy with a Bachmann 57307 in excellent condition for a great price. Customer service was faultless and it was a pleasure to visit, nothing was too much trouble. Admittedly they stock less Hornby than before but for me that’s not a bad thing. For the railway modeller there is still plenty on offer, prices are good (especially for an independent in the middle of cheater!) and the range of accompanying model cars and lorries is excellent.

• 1 year later...