Split level stations

AndyB

Apologies if this topic has already been addressed - I didn't find anything using the search function, but that'd be down to my searching ability!  :scratchhead: 

I'm hoping the knowledgeable folk here may be able to point me in the direction of prototype stations where platforms at the same station were on different levels but in parallel? I'm aware that there are examples where train lines crossed so, say, the lower level platforms were essentially at 90deg to the platforms at the higher level. 

What I've got in mind is a station with perhaps 4 platforms, 2 of which would be at a low level and the other two at a higher level with a retaining wall between them. 

If - and I'm sure they do - exist I'd guess the reason for them being like this would be that 2 disparate lines come together at a station but the topography of each line meant they could not meet at the same height?

Thanks in advance...and do let me know if the topic has been covered before so I can go and read up previous info shared.   :thankyou: 

Best, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Farringdon (although you probably did not have the Underground in mind)

London Bridge (much larger)

Portsmouth & Southsea (lower level a terminus)

Nottingham GN (likewise lower level a terminus)

But otherwise, I am struggling on what I thought would be quite an easy question.

Craigendoran (which seems to be an answer to several questions about 'unusual' platform arrangements). Platforms on the line to Helensburgh Central, and parallel platforms at a higher level on the West Highland, already climbing towards Helensburgh Upper. With the bonus of the platform on the pier for connections to the steamers.  

Thanks for the ideas so far. 

Farringdon (although you probably did not have the Underground in mind)

London Bridge (much larger)

Portsmouth & Southsea (lower level a terminus)

Nottingham GN (likewise lower level a terminus)

But otherwise, I am struggling on what I thought would be quite an easy question.

Craigendoran (which seems to be an answer to several questions about 'unusual' platform arrangements). Platforms on the line to Helensburgh Central, and parallel platforms at a higher level on the West Highland, already climbing towards Helensburgh Upper. With the bonus of the platform on the pier for connections to the steamers.  

I'd imagined the answers would mainly come from areas of urban sprawl, so the Scottish example was a real surprise! 

Scotswood, west end of Newcastle on the Carlisle line.  Lower for the Blaydon/Ryton route and upper for the North Wylam loop.  If I remember correctly, they were connected by a flight of stairs.    

Philately, the stairs you refer to can still be seen.... http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/scotswood/

Andy

• RMweb Premium

One that's a possibility is Bradford Forster Square if the West Riding Lines had been completed.  The existing station would have remained as a terminus but alongside it would have been either a low level (1897 proposals) or High Level (Final 1911 scheme) station.  This station would have beena through station with the through line comoing out of a tunnel on the south side of the city centre then crossing the centre on a viaduct before an 80' girder bridge over Forster Square before entering the High level platforms then descending to a junction with the existing lines at Mannigham.  I may have a plan of the proposed layout if youa re interested.

Jamie

Kings Cross main line and suburban Hotel Curve platform was on an upward slope from the Widened Lines.

The original Reading before the Southern side was rebuilt (and I don't mean the current rebuilt)...

Willesden Junction pre-electrification with the main line platforms at a higher level to the DC lines.

Baker St. (Met) where the terminal platforms are at a higher lever than the Circle platforms which rum at 90 degrees to them but don't cross. Hammersmith Met pre-1922 when the LSWR station was in Studland Street at a much higher level to the Met terminus.

Smallbrook Junction Isle of Wight where the IWSR platform is higher than the electrified Island Line platform.

• RMweb Premium

Here's the section of the plan that I've got for Forster Square.  It shows the centre line of the proposed line with the limits of deviation.  Ther terminal platforms are just off the plan to the right above the through ones.  It looks as if there were going to be 4 through platforms with the tracks widening from 2 to 4 on the viaduct across Forster Square itself.

post-6824-0-34718100-1386614527_thumb.jpg

If you want the original image (5Mb) please PM me.

Jamie

Tyndrum is stretching it as the upper and lower stations are well separated. King's Cross has separate low level platforms for the City Thameslink but ISTR there were earlier low level platforms alongside and below rather than underneath the main line terminal platforms for connectiion with the widened lines.

This is frustrating because I'm sure I've come across exactly what you're describing but, apart from the examples already given, I just can't remember where they were.

The GWR station at Greenford was alongside and below the Central Line station that opened in 1948 and wasn't closed until 1963. I don't know if they were connected but I don't think so.

I'm not sure if it was at a lower level but in Naples the terminus of the private railway to Sorrento was alongside the Stazione Centrale.

The situation you describe would have obvious modelling potential. I can think of a few places where goods lines dropped away from the level of a passenger terminus as at Plymouth Millbay and Windsor (GWR) but I'm trying to tihnk of other examples where platforms were at two levels.

I thought of Reading Southern which was a delightful little terminus but don't remember it being at a lower level than Reading General but I could be wrong.

There was also Eglinton Street station on the approach to Glasgow Central. It had 4 platform faces on the main line towards Motherwell and the south, which was descending at this point. There were also 2 platforms on the west side of the station for the Cathcart Circle trains, which were on a rising gradient. So the height difference between the mainline platforms and the west-side platforms increased through the station.  

Thanks again for all the responses. 

I've just done a sketch of what I had in mind as, potentially, one end of a future layout. 

Ironically there are dozens of examples in plan books by the likes of CJF, but wanted to see if there was a prototype to match. 

Andy

post-4299-0-34367500-1386622335.jpg

Separate stations but very close together I think, Barnsley Court House which was a two through platform and a bay set up on an upper level and Exchange which I think had a single platform face.

This is on the upper Court House line

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7616565@N08/2512143964/in/photolist-4PZoSY-6KPo9E-9cy1b9-e2u5Ap-ca5287-cDX6Nq-e3Vtno-apoBcw-cc7huE-dGedyf-cc3ehu

Might not be entirely what you asked for, but New Mills in Derbyshire. 3 lines pretty much parallel through it and 2 stations on the outer 2 lines. The Buxton line must be higher than the 2 which join for Sheffield. There is a bit of town between the lines but selective compression could always get rid of that! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Looking at your drawing it looks OK for the proposed Bradford station.  Looking from the lower level platforms there would have been tall wool warehouse behind the high level platforms which would have made a good backscene.  The lower level lines would have been terminal roads giving scope for some buildings at the end of them.

Jamie

Thanks all for getting your thinking caps on and providing so many examples.

I think the examples that fitted my thoughts most closely were the hotel curve platform at KX - I love the urban clutter and dinginess.

I'm intrigued by the description of how the lines came together at Bradford Foster Square and so am going to take Jamie up on his offer to send a high res image. Can't quite make out the lines on the one he embedded.

I think the upshot is that "it can happen, not perhaps in the frequency that one might expect, and also seems to be as common in less urban areas as it is in cramped city locations. 

This has been really useful in getting some ideas together for me. If it progresses - and I hope it does - I'll start a layout thread and put a link back to this thread.

Best, Andy 

Archived