Split level stations

AndyB

I think there is a station of the Dean Forest preserved railway with platforms on different levels. It was pouring down the day I was there so I didn't venture off the train.

Norchard, it also has a junction at the "County" end of the station.

Skipton is another one, it has the Leeds - Bradford/Keighly platforms on one level, and the Grassington Branch platform is on a higher level on a retaining wall.

Edited to not mislead the OPer. Thanks Coombe Barton - methinks a trip back is in order. :)

I seem to remember Retford is split level with the ECML at right angles to the Worksop/Lincoln line.

Yes it is, as are Tamworth and Lichfield TV mentioned elsewhere, but this is not what the OP was looking for as per Post #1.

• RMweb Gold

Some of those listed here are actually two separate stations rather than a single station with platforms at differing levels. Nottingham London Road for example

Physically a bit separate with no direct footbridge/subway link between platforms at the two levels. I think that it is also shown under different names in Bradshaw.

But still, I think, a single station within the OP's requirement and I would be surprised if each had its own stationmaster etc.

• RMweb Gold

Tonteg. It's where the TVR met the Barry Railway. Extensively re-modelled in the 1930's, to remove the old TVR incline, down to Maesmawr Junction.

The final configuration had 3 platforms. 2 for the Barry line, and the third for Llantrisant traffic. The rising level of the TVR line put it at platform level on the Barry 'down' platform.

Hope this helps.

Ian

East Grinstead Station was on two levels.The High Level was approx E-W and catered for the Three Bridges to Tunbridge Wells line and the Low Level was N-S for the Oxted to Lewes & Eastbourne lines.

The High Level staion was demolished by Beeching who lived in East Grinstead.

The present Bluebell line uses an extension of the Low Level station.

Thane of Fife

• RMweb Gold

East Grinstead Station was on two levels.The High Level was approx E-W and catered for the Three Bridges to Tunbridge Wells line and the Low Level was N-S for the Oxted to Lewes & Eastbourne lines.

The High Level staion was demolished by Beeching who lived in East Grinstead.

The present Bluebell line uses an extension of the Low Level station.

Thane of Fife

So yet another one that does not meet the OP criterion of parallel lines/platforms.

It does seem that there are remarkably few that do. I thought that there would be some in the South Wales Valleys and in the larger cities, Glasgow and Manchester particularly. But no, it seems to be something of a CJ Freezer invention.

So yet another one that does not meet the OP criterion of parallel lines/platforms.

It does seem that there are remarkably few that do. I thought that there would be some in the South Wales Valleys and in the larger cities, Glasgow and Manchester particularly. But no, it seems to be something of a CJ Freezer invention.

Briton Ferry stations (GWR and R&SBR) may have been of this type.

Thanks again for all your contributions. 

As Joseph says there don't seem to be that many.

In spite of that I did find the inspiration for my - hopefully upcoming  - layout. 

So, I'm a happy bunny! 

Best, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Don't know how big your plans will be, but Cardiff Queen Street (Taff Vale) & Cardiff Parade (Rhymney) were sat very close indeed. Lots of retaining walls & bridges at the Northern end, where both lines crossed Queen Street, and Newport Road, Cardiff.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Andy,

Don't know how big your plans will be, but Cardiff Queen Street (Taff Vale) & Cardiff Parade (Rhymney) were sat very close indeed. Lots of retaining walls & bridges at the Northern end, where both lines crossed Queen Street, and Newport Road, Cardiff.

Regards,

Ian

Hi, Ian,

The layout will go down the side of my garage and also along the back wall. There will be "balloon" shaped fiddle yards at each end of the "L", reducing the scenic area but making for a convenient-to-use set up. 

I envisage tracks coming in to the scenic area at 2 levels - as per my sketch on page 1 of this thread. Both the upper and lower platforms will be "through", although only modelled in part; entire stations take up so much room!

The idea is evolving, however, I envisage the lower level rising to eventually join the upper level. Other thoughts are that there will be a parcels depot on the lower level and perhaps a MPD on the upper level.

The model will be N gauge, making it possible to get decent length trains in.

The period I always gravitate to is 1970s, with a tendency for urban. My current steam era layout is rural and quiet. Too quiet! 

The layout will be mounted around chest height, making more storage space underneath than I currently have on my layout. 

To make it achievable I'm going to keep the baseboards relatively narrow, lightweight and portable, allowing them to be taken down to be worked on individually.

Hope that gives you a feel for what I'm aiming for. 

Best, Andy

Certainly not relevant to the OP's era and geography, but for completeness I will mention Canning Town in recent years.  DLR platforms above Jubilee Line, with another set of DLR platforms (formerly the Stratford-North Woolwich route) alongside the Jubilee.  Nearby Stratford International has a depot access track rising up above the island platform. 

You don't have to go quite as far across the water if you don't want to. There is a stretch of the Paris Metro where lines 8 and 9 run directly one above the other beneath Avenue St Martin. There's even a complete double deck closed station down there too.

http://www.silentuk.com/?p=1295

Archived