Midland Main Line ready for 125mph running

I have herd that a similar situation exists on the GWML, where the OLE as far as airport junction was only designed to cope with 100mph EMUs to and from the airport and 800s are limited to 100mph on that section as a result.

That's true, but last I heard following work to the OLE they will very soon (if not already) be operating up to 125mph between Paddington and Airport Jcn.

Likewise upgrading the OLE south of Bedford remains in the latest Enhancements Delivery Plan )pg32), to allow for bi-modes:

"To provide speed capability to the OLE system between London St Pancras to Bedford South Junction, to allow electric rolling stock to operate at the published permanent speed restriction"

I think there was talk of converting some of the headspans to portals, as has recently taken place at Connington: 

https://twitter.com/networkrail/status/946395340940308480

Edited by Christopher125

Notable that scheduled HST operation on the Corby branch comes to an end with the new timetable. The replacements for the one token journey, the 19.00 ex LStP and 20.52 will be Meridian operated.

Isn’t Connington area being done partly for IEP power upgrade and partly because it is going to 4 tracks again?

I believe it's to improve performance in high winds, referred to on page 142 as "OHL resilience (installing light weight portals)"

Edited by Christopher125

The condition of the Headspans on the MML isn't great either, I am surprised they don't have more dewirements there than they do!

looking at them as best i could whilst driving up the M1 the other day i would have to agree with you 

• Agree 1

In addition to the power upgrades carried out last year to the supply station at Radlett, a number of masts were replaced in the area. Generally though many look in poor condition and de-wirements may become more common in the coming months when the intensity of electric services increases, although none will be high speed services which seem to be the biggest culprits on the ECML.

That's true, but last I heard following work to the OLE they will very soon (if not already) be operating up to 125mph between Paddington and Airport Jcn.

Likewise upgrading the OLE south of Bedford remains in the latest Enhancements Delivery Plan )pg32), to allow for bi-modes:

"To provide speed capability to the OLE system between London St Pancras to Bedford South Junction, to allow electric rolling stock to operate at the published permanent speed restriction"

I think there was talk of converting some of the headspans to portals, as has recently taken place at Connington: 

https://twitter.com/networkrail/status/946395340940308480

That also mentions electric trains from Market Harborough?

• Agree 1

Notable that scheduled HST operation on the Corby branch comes to an end with the new timetable. The replacements for the one token journey, the 19.00 ex LStP and 20.52 will be Meridian operated.

There is an evening peak working which is covered with an ex-Grand Central set instead - I think it is the 1650 from St Pancras and return.

There is an evening peak working which is covered with an ex-Grand Central set instead - I think it is the 1650 from St Pancras and return.

The 16.50 was shown as an HST in the initial draft of the timetable but the published version shows all services as Meridian operated,

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 08/01/2019 at 16:57, ess1uk said:

How is the Market Harborough work coming along?

Six day blockade at the end of the month will align the current lines at either end with the new alignment. All traffic over this period is to route via Corby, some of which will even stop there giving Corby the best service to the North since 1964!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Six day blockade at the end of the month will align the current lines at either end with the new alignment. All traffic over this period is to route via Corby, some of which will even stop there giving Corby the best service to the North since 1964!

Just to be clear, that's end of May (Tuesday 28th to Sunday 2 June) not April. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Ooh, some trains even missing out Leicester and going via Syston North curve, e.g. this Sheffield fast:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/J08536/2019/05/29/advanced

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/04/2019 at 20:25, Shed said:

Might be worth a trip out to get a go over the line

There’s already two trains a day over the Syston North curve, a morning Corby - Derby and late afternoon return.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, RANGERS said:

There’s already two trains a day over the Syston North curve, a morning Corby - Derby and late afternoon return.

Also the first two Nottingham-Norwich in the morning and the last Spalding-Nottingham Monday to Friday.

Edit: the Spalding is a bit of an adventure, Melton Mowbray-Nottingham non stop with a dog box, booked fast line as well:D

Edited by great central
  • Informative/Useful 2

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:45, great central said:

The Spalding is a bit of an adventure, Melton Mowbray-Nottingham non stop with a dog box, booked fast line as well:D

I used this many years ago as it provided a useful connection to Nottingham off the last train from Stansted.  Not ofthen there's a reason to change at Melton. 

It felt a bit like it was trying to get home before midnight to avoid turning into a pumpkin. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/05/2019 at 17:59, ess1uk said:

NR has apparently spent £12million on upgrading bridges on the MML in Leicestershire.

money well spent? 

It depends what you mean by upgrading.

If it was upgrading solely for electrification work no - but if the work done now means the bridges are now good for another 100 years (I have no idea what it really is) or can have a weight restriction removed, or is more resistant to errant road vehicles damaging it etc, plus its now future proofed for a time when the current crop of idiots at the DfT have gone, then its money well spent.

Railways are a LONG TERM investment. Just because dunderheads at Westminster plus much of the media cannot get their heads round that does not mean we have to join them and also play at being bean counters!

• Agree 1

As I understand it for electrification.

sure they have done other bits as you say. Gauge enhancement etc

i personally think it’s a sound idea.

at least that money can now be deducted from any future electrification cost, making it seem cheaper?

Edited by ess1uk
Spelling

The contracts might already have been signed for the bridge upgrades before the scheme was "Graylinged", and/or some of them might be in poor condition and would otherwise need work to keep them safe but which wouldn't contribute to making them suitable for eventual electrification.