'Ashcombe'

georgeT

Hello Steve,    Thank's for the info on more dorset beer suppliers, very helpful..

Hello PhilH,    Thank you too for the info on the transport in dorset, some very interesting reading..

Hello Bodgit,  Yes l am looking for ideas too, being drawn to micro layouts, then l can have more than one ?????

George...........

Evening George

As usual, the buildings are stunning. :sungum:

More than one layout? I hope you're not trying to complete with Bodgit :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

Duncan

Hello Duncan, Thanks for the encouragement and the kind words, the big trouble is that my interest levels drop very quickly when l have built something, its great to start with but after a time the interest goes and l look for other projects, the big problem l have is space or the lack of it,

l could build a lovely 11' x 2' layout and set it up in room where l model no problem, but as the freezer etc is also in the room l get grief every time 'SWMBO' needs to get at things, (l'm sure we all know about that side of our hobby), so in answer to your question, am l following the Baron the answer is 'YES'.

When Bodgit is up and running (soon l hope) he always has lots of projects to work on, not just his own but he helps others as well, but when he has built a layout his interest lowers as well, and is ready for the next great plan, l guess we are two peas in the same pod ?

Thats why l have started to build the buildings first, hopefully they will go on 'Ashcombe' but who knows whats coming next, l have been looking at the modern scene a lot at the moment (as l am trying to sort out my huge collection of photos taken in the 80s/90s with Bodgit at Eastleigh) and l love the yellow locos in Network Rail today, so l think micro layouts of different era's is the road l'm going down, (today anyway hahaha)

George..

Hello Duncan, Thanks for the encouragement and the kind words, the big trouble is that my interest levels drop very quickly when l have built something, its great to start with but after a time the interest goes and l look for other projects, the big problem l have is space or the lack of it,

l could build a lovely 11' x 2' layout and set it up in room where l model no problem, but as the freezer etc is also in the room l get grief every time 'SWMBO' needs to get at things, (l'm sure we all know about that side of our hobby), so in answer to your question, am l following the Baron the answer is 'YES'.

When Bodgit is up and running (soon l hope) he always has lots of projects to work on, not just his own but he helps others as well, but when he has built a layout his interest lowers as well, and is ready for the next great plan, l guess we are two peas in the same pod ?

Thats why l have started to build the buildings first, hopefully they will go on 'Ashcombe' but who knows whats coming next, l have been looking at the modern scene a lot at the moment (as l am trying to sort out my huge collection of photos taken in the 80s/90s with Bodgit at Eastleigh) and l love the yellow locos in Network Rail today, so l think micro layouts of different era's is the road l'm going down, (today anyway hahaha)

George..

Morning George, what you really mean is, This morning anyway :nono:  hahaha

And what do you mean were like two peas in a pod, I lernt all my BAD modelling habits from you. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Chat later, Bodge :sungum:

Morning Lads,  Well l have done some work on the shed at  'Ashcombe'  just need to add the windows and paint the pipework, only modelled one side as you won't be able to see the other side as there will be trees etc behind.

Have an idea on a micro layout brewing up, it will be called 'Liddley Lane Sidings'  and will be just a shunting yard, with loads of detailed houses in the back ground.

post-7716-0-20774100-1390989344_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-40344400-1390989348_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-50831100-1390989353_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-32424300-1390989358_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-52240000-1390989362_thumb.jpg

Had a great day out at Stafford on saturday with Bodgit and the gang, also met up with fellow RM webbers  Ray and Polly who were telling me of their plans to lay some track at long last, also met up with Ray and Richard with 'Orchard Road' the detail in the loco shed is amazing, also had a chat with Andy Y,all in all a great time was had by all.

The pub ay 'Ashcombe' 'The Artful Bodgit' is coming along after a little break..

post-7716-0-86387400-1391592504_thumb.jpg

Hi George,

Good meeting you and Andy at the weekend. Can't believe I've only just stumbled across this thread, and you're already 9 pages in. Great step by step on the buildings, they're looking really great and I might copy a few of your ideas on my own buildings if that's ok.

I've put a watch on so I don't miss anything.

Ray.

Hello Ray / Bodgit,  Thanks for the kind words, l am pleased with the pub, the signs are not the finished ones, as l want to rename it to  'Baron Bodgit' need to get some letters to make a better job of it, also l want some hanging baskets of flowers and a sign with Bodgits picture in it (thats if l can shrink his big head down hahaha)

George

Hello Lads,  Well l sold one of my 'O' gauge 0-6-0s this morning, and bought myself a box of 25 lengths, a gaugemaster controller, 8 electro-frog long points

and a Bachmann weathered pannier tank, and a loco for the next project a class 37 in red stripe railfreight grey..

Hello Andy / Ray, l think as l'm getting older l am getting worse, why the hell l am building  'Ashcombe' to be 10'x2' when l didn't have enough room for the same sized layout in 'O' gauge, maybe l thought smaller trains would fit, but the baseboards would still be the same (shoot me someone please)

So 'Ashcombe' has now become 'Ashcombe Goods' 5'x14" and will consist of the goods shed and the engine shed with just one road with a coaling stage and a cattle dock, purely for playing with, small goods trains and no passenger workings, makes sense to me at last (well for today at least hahaha)

going mad George

• RMweb Premium

Hello Andy / Ray, l think as l'm getting older l am getting worse, why the hell l am building  'Ashcombe' to be 10'x2' when l didn't have enough room for the same sized layout in 'O' gauge, maybe l thought smaller trains would fit, but the baseboards would still be the same (shoot me someone please)

So 'Ashcombe' has now become 'Ashcombe Goods' 5'x14" and will consist of the goods shed and the engine shed with just one road with a coaling stage and a cattle dock, purely for playing with, small goods trains and no passenger workings, makes sense to me at last (well for today at least hahaha)

going mad George

Sounds very sensible, George.

You do the "hard" work with the excellent scratchbuilding. So you deserve the luxury of "play".

Always a pleasure to watch your construction work.

Jeff

George, you need to STOP TALKING to that Bodgit bloke, he's a bad influence on you and he will have you buying a Class 33 in Green next for shunting duties :senile: :senile: , and then a couple of Class 50's just because you can :scared: :scared:

So my advice for what its worth is stay away from him, don't talk to him and please DON'T BE INFLUENCED BY HIM. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Your old mate, :stinker:

Andy,

Alias the Mighty Bodgit himself, hahhahhaa :no:

• RMweb Gold

Been looking through this thread George some really nice buildings there you do have the flair for them. I can understand your logic in going for the smaller scale. When I took up 0 gauge most rtr stuff didn't run welll traction tyres which came off that sort of thing. I the 00 stuff that is available now was around then I could have saved a fortune. I do like 0 gauge because of the way it runs but you do lose out on scenic space it is not just length but also width.  I seem to remember Martin Brent's 4mm Arcadia was only just over 5ft. The he added the Rye Harbour bit either could be used alone or run together perhaps thats what you should do two boards one the station bit the other engine shed and goods use a cassette fy fronted by an overbridge  so you can use either board or both.

Don

Hello Andy / Ray, l think as l'm getting older l am getting worse, why the hell l am building 'Ashcombe' to be 10'x2' when l didn't have enough room for the same sized layout in 'O' gauge, maybe l thought smaller trains would fit, but the baseboards would still be the same (shoot me someone please)

going mad George

You won't be needing that nice station building then? I'm sure we can find a good home for it. :mosking:

Ray.

Hello  Ashcombe / Andy / Jeff / Don,  Thanks very much for the encouragement and kind words, you know it has taken me over forty years to come to my senses that small and detailed is far far better than 200 hundred sidings and three hundred locos crammed into them ? even laying the track down this afternoon l had to fight the temptation to put another siding here and one over there (but l did)

The theory of the layout is just a bit down the line there is the station where the locos leave their coaches and run a mile or so to the shed at 'Ashcombe Goods' also small goods trains serve 'Ashcombe' with stores etc and live stock can be bought in and taken away, l have kept it simple as l need some scenery and a nice road in front of the goods shed, also if l want to l could make it run through onto another board, but l really dont see that happening. (unless we win the lottery).

Hello Ray, Yes the station is up for grabs if you would like it, send me a PM so we can haggle ?

George.

post-7716-0-81045800-1391973171_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-80834800-1391973185_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-15892000-1391973191_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-76615300-1391973195_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-46862500-1391973201_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-42242900-1391973207_thumb.jpg

LESS IS MORE, I've been telling you that for years, now the question is do I do what I always do?

Sell all me stock, COPY YOU AGAIN and buy a couple of small tanks and do Trebudoc in OO using the Viaduct, that would make a nice Cornish scene, small and beautiful.

The difference is that I would be doing it out of the box, whereas yours are all individual and that makes such a big difference.

Its really nice mate, well done so far.

And :sungum:

Archived