SCRATCH BUILDING A LSWR PULL PUSH TRAILER THIRD. (now including the driving third)

N15class

This is the continuation of my 2012 RMWeb challenge which can be seen here. I did say I would complete it, but did not think it would be a year before I did some more to it.

Well for the update. The roof is almost done, just a little more sanding and priming to remove the last of the ridges. I am not sure if I will be covering in tissue as I do not want to have any chance of it delaminating when flooded with glue. Once happy with the finish I will add the cant rail. then that is all the body plastic done. I will then give it a coat of primer just to save the plastic from the sun.

post-13601-0-47589000-1386868114_thumb.jpg

The ends are now cut and fitted but not glued in until after painting. It is now looking as though I am getting somewhere. Just need to see how the steps go on the sole bar.

post-13601-0-75698400-1386868074_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-91967600-1386868094_thumb.jpg

I found a pair of standard scissor connectors which I think will work. The pull push set had a corridor conection between the two coaches but not at the ends so one set will do both coaches.

post-13601-0-77137000-1386868051_thumb.jpg

Don't expect the progress to be super fast on this one. Just thought it needed an airing as I am without a loco to build, well that is not quite right I have a M7 to do, but that is for me so can I really start before the Beattie is done, and I need wheels for a 2MT tank and a couple or GW engines. 

Agreed, good to see this thread is still alive.

All the best, Dave.

Thanks Dave

I think I have the mojo back for this one. There is not too much to do really them I have the bits for the underframe. The bogie pivots need to be done, and of coarse the gates. No handrails or door knobs. Job done!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't quite get my head around where the year went without doing anything on it.

I find that all the time with various projects, it's the way of life. Good to see you got your mojo back, I'd missed the original thread and am keen to see you finish this off. 

I find that all the time with various projects, it's the way of life. Good to see you got your mojo back, I'd missed the original thread and am keen to see you finish this off. 

I am sort of retired and I have not got enough time for my wants, SWMBO seems to think that I have other things to do apart from making models.

Out of all the scratch building I have done, coaches are my least favourite. (Only four in the last 35 years) and they were only patterns for resin moulds.

Running out of time and having to deviate from the WB is the bane of retirees, welcome to the club.

It will be interesting to see this finished model and I'm looking for to it. Seasons greeting and a model filled new year. Ken

Out of all the scratch building I have done, coaches are my least favourite. (Only four in the last 35 years) and they were only patterns for resin moulds.

Running out of time and having to deviate from the WB is the bane of retirees, welcome to the club.

It will be interesting to see this finished model and I'm looking for to it. Seasons greeting and a model filled new year. Ken

This is my first scratch build since starting 7mm. Unless you count some of the poor loco kits as scratch building. I made a few in 4mm these were mainly coaches to get the types I wanted.

I suppose all the diversions away from the bench, make the time at it far more pleasurable.

The latest part or this saga, I have now fitted the cornice, the roof vents, and the buffers. I had two sets of LSWR buffers some nice cast brass ones and some whitemetal ones. I decided use the brass at the outer ends and the others in the middle as the coaches will always be coupled as a pair.

post-13601-0-38159000-1388522663_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-78622400-1388522682_thumb.jpg

I also gave it an all over coat of primer to help protect the plasticard as it does not like sunlight. I can also see where I need to do more work.

post-13601-0-03630100-1388522701_thumb.jpg

Next job is mount the body onto the bogies. Then I will do the underframe details knowing nothing will foul the bogies movement.

post-13601-0-48212500-1388522720_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-22354900-1388522739_thumb.jpg

I have been very pleased, with just a little work there has been or seems to of been a great leap forward.

HELP

I am getting close to painting the carriage. In 4mm scale I always used dark olive for 1930's as on the locos. I really am not sure if this is correct? If it is wrong I thing I am in trouble as I will have difficulty in getting paint, unless there is a standard Humbrol or Revell colour.

Looking at my newly acquired copy of Brian Haresnape's combined  volume of Railway Liveries 1923-1947; it appears that Southern liveries are a confusing as my beloved GWR.

But you should be okay. From 1926 Maunsell used the same darker green livery for locomotives and carriages.

Looking at my newly acquired copy of Brian Haresnape's combined  volume of Railway Liveries 1923-1947; it appears that Southern liveries are a confusing as my beloved GWR.

But you should be okay. From 1926 Maunsell used the same darker green livery for locomotives and carriages.

Thanks Kev

It is an awkward livery, there were a few lining changes loco and coaches.  I also think they could not make up there mind about colours either.

My copy is in safe keeping in a Royal Artillery base in Sussex. So is a bit hard to read at the moment.

Although I have not had very much time at the bench, I have managed to get the underframe almost complete. There are just a couple of pipes to add, and the air gear for driving. The loco end will attached to the buffer beam the connection end will be part of the coupling of the two coaches.

For some reason the bogies for this were destroyed in the move from the balcony to the workshop. Fortunately I had the pair for driving carriage. These are from Roxey they are quite basic, the brake hangers and shoes are awful. I think they are blown up from the 4 mm ones. Well after adding some new hangers and shoes from stock they look better. The pull gear is not supplied and I have not made any. Maybe one day if I feel the urge.

post-13601-0-84957400-1389388188_thumb.jpg

The castings are by Gladiator, and are very nice. the rest has been scratch (botch) built from sheet., wire, etc.

post-13601-0-51516200-1389388094_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-93651400-1389388113_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-68891400-1389388132_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-65312200-1389388150_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-85842900-1389388169_thumb.jpg

The close ups show that I still have some work to do tidying and sanding before painting. But before then I have the vacuum pipe runs along the solebars to do, the steps, and of coarse the Bostwick gates. Any ideas will be gratefully accepted. I have also got the rain strip on the roof to do, as some sill s#d forgot to add it when doing the roof details.

And one to show it looks overall.

post-13601-0-30953000-1389388075_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

The coach is looking very nice.  I like the prototypical way that it sits low it is on its bogies. 

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin

It is a bit closer than I would like for running purposes, but if it is not the buffers would be to high. I think I should of dropped them a little instead of as per drawing. Another 0.5mm would of helped.  As it goes through a reverse curve of two peco points, it is good enough for me.

Thanks Colin

It is a bit closer than I would like for running purposes, but if it is not the buffers would be to high. I think I should of dropped them a little instead of as per drawing. Another 0.5mm would of helped.  As it goes through a reverse curve of two peco points, it is good enough for me.

Hi Peter,

Looking through David Jenkinson's 'Carriage Modelling Made Easy', he advocates very close gaps between bogies and solebars. So if it works, all the better, as it looks just right!

All the best,

Colin

I had to sort out the pipes for the loco end of the carriage, the other end will be the coupling between the coaches. Had a look into my pot of spares, nothing suitable, so do I take them my M7 kit with push pull fittings or do I make some.

Making was the option, so of the look at photos and my DJB ones with the M7. Photos of the buffer beams are rare. But what I did find out though, is the set on the pipes varies end to end. The loco end no connection, it has the normal tall vacuum pipe and low steam heat as per the normal non corridor set up and the three low hung air control pipes. The connection end is all low hung as per the normal corridor coaches. The drivers end that will come on the other carriage has either a tall or low vacuum pipe and a low hung steam heat.

So what did I need? A tall vacuum, a low steam heat, and three low air pipes.

An air pipe almost finished.

post-13601-0-59020600-1389827233_thumb.jpg

All fitted for a photo, each contain between 7 and 11 parts in each. the vacuum pipe will be removed until after the end is fitted, which will happen once the coach sides are painted and lined. So rest are permanently fitted (I hope)

post-13601-0-19359100-1389827213_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-50048100-1389827252_thumb.jpg

Next problem was the Bostwick gates. The photo below feels like the 1000 attempt, but is only mark 3. Brass wire was too fiddly to hold still, and I could not get consistent narrow strips of 010" they looked good until soldered together. I had some 010" X 010" plastic which was fiddly but I used length about twice as long as need to aid handling. I just need to make the look more like a gate than a bit of trellis.

post-13601-0-88416800-1389827269_thumb.jpg

Bogies are going through the paint shop. The underframe is primed and some sanding will be done in a day or so. Still need to add the roof rain strip hopefully will be easy as I have been putting off as I have the feeling it is going to be a right fiddle. I am really looking forward to seen this go green, but not about the lining. Cant strip the paint off so easily as you can with brass.

Well sorry for the waffling, it was I thought going to be a short update.

Amazing patience. Pipes and gate are lovely.

The gate take me back to the cow catchers I scratch built on an African Railways narrow gauge loco. They drove me to distraction getting them even and looking right. Very well done.

Thanks Ken

Being in Brazil, is a bit like modelling some years ago. As the postal service takes anywhere between 30 days and 4.5 months. It is easier sometimes to make the parts, as we did in the past.

But saying that I know it is easy to get vacuum,steam heat and air pipes, but not sure about SR air control pipes. Sometimes it is also nice to spend a hour or so with a detail that will set the model up a level.

The Gate ended up being drawn with the centres of the bars extending 2" off of each end. I used strips much longer than needed, it seem to be the only way I could get the things parallel.

Archived