Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The best train set layout you ever saw

I love the look of your Dad's layout Grafarman

That is just the sort of style that comes to mind when I think of a good 'train set' layout - and I most certainly do NOT mean that term in a derisory way - I like them.

Looks like something interesting is going on there for points control ?

• RMweb Premium

I love the look of your Dad's layout Grafarman

That is just the sort of style that comes to mind when I think of a good 'train set' layout - and I most certainly do NOT mean that term in a derisory way - I like them.

Looks like something interesting is going on there for points control ?

Thank you! 

Yes, that's just one of his little inventions; 1/4" dowel rod running through screw-eyes; metal angle bracket and plastic tubing I believe with a stiff wire to link to the point, the 'levers' being disguised as packing crates on the canalside eventually...!!

He's always coming up with that sort of thing...!!

David

If the 'best layout' means the one I wish to have...

In the book "Model Railways A complete guide to the hobby" by Dave Lowery 1982

He describes this 8ft x 4ft 00 guage layout which if I had the space I would love to build

Dave-Lowery2.jpg

Trainset layout ? perhaps but looks like a lot of fun too

Edited by Harry2013
  • Like 7

I'd hold "Bredon" responsible for convincing an impressionable 11 yr old to turn his trainset oval into a convincing model railway. Unfortunately I failed to understand that less is more and a limited space doesn't lend itself to a Hornby King on Centenary stock, and I didnt have room for a goods yard and an engine shed, complete with turntable.

But one layout I'd like to see again was in the media over 20 years ago, and at the Harrogate Show in 1994. It was a large Lionel layout, and seem to feature alot of the operating accessories that added alot of play value that I'd expect from a train set, that Hornby only scratched the surface of with their Giraffe car and operating Mail set.

I personally believe that the RMWeb "Layout in 6 weeks" takes some credit and a fair few votes. Perhaps not "old" though maybe a little forgotten now, it deserves a mention. The trouble with nominations for this category is that as you go back in time there were many in RM but naming them as "train set" at the time would have been seen as offensive, though by today's standards they now give that impression.

Almost any OO roundy-roundy on a 8x4 or 6x4 just cannot avoid it these days.

• Like 1

I liked the Hornby O gauge clockwork layout at Warley this year.  Excellent running, bags of action, always something moving and no finger-poking to get things going.

And the occasional exciting moment when 2 trains were both heading towards the diamond crossing!

Now that's a PROPER trainset.

The best 6 x 4 layout I have ever seen was the simple oval plus one siding, battery operated, 46201 + 2 coaches, laid on a sheet of hardboard by my Dad after I had gone to bed on Christmas Eve nigh on 60 years ago. It was the best present ever as it led to a lifetimes interest in this wonderful hobby.

• Like 11

The best 6 x 4 layout I have ever seen was the simple oval plus one siding, battery operated, 46201 + 2 coaches, laid on a sheet of hardboard by my Dad after I had gone to bed on Christmas Eve nigh on 60 years ago. It was the best present ever as it led to a lifetimes interest in this wonderful hobby.

A great memory retold - thanks for sharing it - genuinely made me smile.

Not a cheap present but it sounds like money very well spent 

I personally believe that the RMWeb "Layout in 6 weeks" takes some credit and a fair few votes. Perhaps not "old" though maybe a little forgotten now, it deserves a mention. The trouble with nominations for this category is that as you go back in time there were many in RM but naming them as "train set" at the time would have been seen as offensive, though by today's standards they now give that impression.

Almost any OO roundy-roundy on a 8x4 or 6x4 just cannot avoid it these days.

That's a great one for sure and shows what can be done in a small space.

I would love to see a trackplan showing the part numbers of the pointwork ( is the rest flexi ? )

Hi

Here are some pictures of Bredon:

post-3059-0-64985100-1386959719_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-81469700-1386959704_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-17181100-1386959679_thumb.jpg

Bredon is currently being re-worked as a DCC example starter layout.

For those of you that are interested, the originator of Bredon, Allan Wood, is a member of my Heyside team - see Jan 14 BRM.

Richard

• Like 16

My first layout, Christmas 1977, straight out of a Peco planbook, built my by grandad.  Living 10 miles from the Peco factory I guess it was no surprise.

firstlayoutsmall.jpg

Quite how the car transporter was meant to get over that humpbacked bridge I never did work out but hey, I was a kid :)  The station building was made out of half inch chipboard!

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 2

Bredon is currently being re-worked as a DCC example starter layout.

For those of you that are interested, the originator of Bredon, Allan Wood, is a member of my Heyside team - see Jan 14 BRM.

Richard

I'm a big advocate of using DCC, but part of the step change I learnt from Bredon was you didn't need a massive loco fleet on the layout or have to cram lots of track into a limited space. Am I right in thinking the article only mentioned a 4F and a couple of J72's...?

I'm a big advocate of using DCC, but part of the step change I learnt from Bredon was you didn't need a massive loco fleet on the layout or have to cram lots of track into a limited space. Am I right in thinking the article only mentioned a 4F and a couple of J72's...?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'll ask Allan tomorrow.

That's about how I got started. I still have the engine and one of the coaches. The big step forward was the purchase of a transformer.

After that most Christmasses saw the arrival of another engine as our layout grew.

My first layout, Christmas 1977, straight out of a Peco planbook, built my by grandad.  Living 10 miles from the Peco factory I guess it was no surprise.

firstlayoutsmall.jpg

Quite how the car transporter was meant to get over that humpbacked bridge I never did work out but hey, I was a kid :)  The station building was made out of half inch chipboard!

Fabulous stuff.  I still remember The Small Controller's face when he was told that he couldn't just look at my railway, he could drive the trains too!

• Like 1

Hope no-one minds but in context I'd like to post a few pics of my Dad's current 'train set layout' which he is building in their garage; it's a work in progress, and he loves it as it gives him something creative and fun to do with his time.  (snipped)

David

That's lovely!  Because of likely space and because I like to watch the trains go by I think my next layout may be similar.  I'm a big fan of water on layouts too :)

If the 'best layout' means the one I wish to have...

In the book "Model Railways A complete guide to the hobby" by Dave Lowery 1982

He describes this 8ft x 4ft 00 guage layout which if I had the space I would love to build

Dave-Lowery2.jpg

Trainset layout ? perhaps but looks like a lot of fun too

I keep looking at this photo - there is actually quite a lot to that layout and plenty of things to 'do' on it

Was there a track plan to go with the article ?

I keep looking at this photo - there is actually quite a lot to that layout and plenty of things to 'do' on it

Was there a track plan to go with the article ?

I believe it was the final plan in "Track Plans" by Cyril Freezer.

How do I know? 'Cos I wanted one like that too!

Last years Warley show, the Tri ang (I think) layout. OK, was a 'big' trainset, but still a trainset in its nature, and it kept me entertained for hours. My girlfriend couldn't understand it when there were so many layouts on offer with beautiful scenery, but this thing had me hooked

• RMweb Premium

Those Gamages layouts certainly stick in my memory - heaven for this 6/7 year old! Lionel 0 Gauge with big noisy trains and lots of exciting action, they certainly had the edge over my Triang Princess and shorty coaches - then the last time I went there (early '60s?) they had built a big European HO layout using (IIRC) Marklin. I remember never having long enough in front of the layouts - there was always a chap asking everyone to "move along" at regular intervals!

Another I'll always remember is the various coin-operated 00 layouts that used to be in the window of an excellent shop called Pages in Barkingside which disappeared around 1980 - an old penny brought the trains (2 if you were lucky!) to life for a minute or so. The last Pages layout I remember was a very nicely made scenic affair, probably no bigger that 6x4, with kit-built Airfix, Superquick and possibly Bilteezi buildings.