• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

But we know that RCH adopted best practice so the wagon could pre-date the 1907 specification date.

On which note, and not about tank wagons but generally, I went through some PO books to see if I could identify 7 plank coal wagons which were close to the 1907 specification, and I think the earliest I found that was similar in size and major details was about 1896.

• Informative/Useful 1

Interesting and thanks for the suggestions.  I do agree that the wagon looks too modern for 1891 or earlier.

Looks as if the leading contenders as British Petroleum wagons built in 1901 and 1905, as per Kevin's post. 

The picture is certainly older than 13 August 1906, however, when this postcard was sent:

20220201_113642.jpg.4c805e345a48a1311eb0d69402eccb14.jpg

20220201_113709.jpg.d93b905122d9ae29b689dff93ce3695c.jpg

Any suitable kits/models for this sort of wagon in 4mm?

• Like 2

I wish I had the image enlargement system they have in spy moovies. You know when in the spy headquarters they keep on enlarging the photo through the office window of the guy sitting in a chair reading a secret document. Zoom in and keep on zooming in. Press the special button and the fuzzy picture resolves into a perfect image and they can read the words on the document.

I pressed my button on the Richmond picture and got this.

The tank looks to be wider than the chassis and there is some sort of structure supporting it at the ends?

tankerRichmondblowup.jpg.640fd2b2203b5bec3b3c0b4960884efe.jpg   and with smoothing button.......tankerRichmondblowup-.jpg.5c88be13954e654415c403d8a49938f9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2022 at 14:28, Nearholmer said:

You might be interested in this wagon, from the right date and NER registered http://rvrailway.blogspot.com/2016/01/15q4-phoenix-rvrs-tank-wagon-appeal.html?m=1

I have an affection for it, because I used to see it, and even photographed it, in its ‘static tank’ days at Tunbridge Wells. 

I tend to agree on the wagon itself, but (obviously) the markings in the linked photo are post-1954.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Indeed.

Tank wagon liveries, dates thereof etc seem to be a minefield of complexity, and without Tourret one is lost in it.

When did the “buff and red stripe” livery come into use for Class A wagons? About 1910, or was it earlier?

And, what would a wagon load of petroleum product be needed for in Richmond, North Yorks before WW1? I’m guessing that it’s paraffin-like stuff either as fuel for oil engines in farms and factories, or as heating and lighting oil, but does anyone have other thoughts?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 24/02/2022 at 14:28, Nearholmer said:

You might be interested in this wagon, from the right date and NER registered http://rvrailway.blogspot.com/2016/01/15q4-phoenix-rvrs-tank-wagon-appeal.html?m=1

I have an affection for it, because I used to see it, and even photographed it, in its ‘static tank’ days at Tunbridge Wells. 

Fascinating, thank you.

If that is not the wagon in the picture, it is very like and would make a good representation of it.

Following your link to the RVR site, I read that the wagon was registered in 1898 with the NER as No. 4012.  The site does not say who the original owner was in pre-BP days ("It’s likely to be have been commissioned by a smaller company that was later acquired by BP"), though would not the owner/operator have been recorded in the NER register?

It is said to be a Class B wagon designed to carry black oil, defined as a product of refining petroleum which was used as a lubricant for slow moving machinery. It has a wooden underframe and riveted tank in 4 sections with a capacity of ten tons.  The manufacturer is yet to be established.

627409009_tank160(1).jpg.857de3671659b700204a75acdd8131ee.jpg

EDIT: I'd love to know the wheelbase, but that can be discovered as the vehicle is extant.

Visually there seems to be no reason why something like the Cambrian Kits Gloucester under frames I use for WNR wagons could not be used. I daresay the rest could be scratch-built.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

It’s a cracking wagon, and it had two (IIRC) companions at Tunbridge Wells, similar, but possibly slightly less geriatric, and of slightly different sizes.

Back in the 1970s, when Mainline models first came out, I made a representation (not a very good one!) of it, using their Royal Daylight wagon. I stripped the ladders etc off, then converted the steel frame and stanchions to look like wooden ones using infills of plastic cut from some file dividers that my father gave me, which were effectively pale blue 60 thou plasticard. Lots of filing was involved, that I do recall.

(This is an anecdote, not a suggestion!)

• Like 3

IMGP0115a.JPG.05faf1073e4011ed8947f259ce5f7fde.JPG

My model slowly coming together is now on it's wheels. Now does the profile look old enough?

IMGP0114a.JPG.a2d0844ff513d80a55ae684e270db855.JPG

I've used short lengths od K & Sbrass tube to hold the end of the axles in. these are some old wheels from early pinpoint days and have longer axles than the current type which easily fit in the old Hornby chassis. I've glued theh brass in with Kids glue PVA from Wilkinsons so ther is hope

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For anyone interested in getting hold of the excellent reference book "Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain" by Tourrett, brand new copies are currently being offered by PostScript Books at £14.99 (RRP £33.00); see: https://www.psbooks.co.uk/petroleum-rail-tank-wagons

(No connection other than as a long term satisfied customer!).

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1