Southsand-on-Sea (formerly Deal) - Present day East Kent in 00

South-East Rail

15866549389_858b931e90_c.jpg

Interesting bases, you have used for your barrier's........ :O

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

A very promising model there, keep up the good work.

Why change the name? It's YOUR interpretation of Deal. As long as you get the atmosphere of the original, that's a big part of any layout.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the encouragement!

David, rest assured that those barriers are temporary!

I have recently installed rods connected to the points under the baseboard, so that they can be operated from the edge of the board. I've done five, so just two to go!

Here's a photo of a busy scene at Deal:

16009854227_742a965412_c.jpg

395001, 395004, 66062, 60020 and 67001.

All the best,

Ed

• Like 6

Hi all,

Thanks for all the encouragement!

David, rest assured that those barriers are temporary!

I have recently installed rods connected to the points under the baseboard, so that they can be operated from the edge of the board. I've done five, so just two to go!

Here's a photo of a busy scene at Deal:

16009854227_742a965412_c.jpg

395001, 395004, 66062, 60020 and 67001.

All the best,

Ed

Nice to hear, something different.

and 3 x 6. set's.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

It's been a long time since my last update - sorry about that! University has meant that I haven't been able to do any modelling since the Christmas break. As you might have guessed, therefore, there isn't too much to update you about. Over the last couple of days, I've been continuing with my DRS Mk2 project. Yesterday I finished spraying them with Humbrol no. 104 (Oxford blue). I've just applied R3sprays transfers to one side of each coach. The doors are brush-painted with Revel no. 50 (the best match I could find). Here they are in their current state behind 37419:

16792946438_1a0446e9ee_c.jpg

16980653485_4b7a201780_c.jpg

(Both images from my flickr photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/se_rail/).

As has been well documented, not least on this forum, the Hornby Mk2Es are by no means perfect. Not only that, as far as I know DRS only has one unmodified Mk2E on its books, no. 5810. These problems aside, it's proving to be a fun and rewarding project.

I've picked up some good bargains from the Hornby factory sale recently, including (another) Tata silver 60099 and a couple more Mk2Es. I'm hoping to turn these into Colas 60087 and some Network Rail coaches (possibly 977868 and 977974) in the near future. 

That's all for now! All the best,

Ed

Edited by South-East Rail
  • Like 7

Hi all,

Not much to update you about regarding the layout itself. However, I've more-or-less completed the DRS Mk2Es.

16987529356_f690e6d339_c.jpg

17012068542_8f5222aa67_c.jpg

16806105197_4a16b4c238_c.jpg

16825987900_9c6415d41e_c.jpg

I've also started a new Workbench topic (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97879-eds-modern-image-workbench/). Firstly, I'm covering my new project, which is to convert another Mk2E into 977868, a Network Rail test coach.

All the best,

Ed

• Like 5

A nice project there Ed. Will checkout your workbench thread

I like the fact you have chosen to use concrete sleeper point work, not seen any used.

Thoughts on your track plan ?

Edited by David Todd

A nice project there Ed. Will checkout your workbench thread

I like the fact you have chosen to use concrete sleeper point work, not seen any used.

Thoughts on your track plan ?

Thanks very much! The track plan is more or less the same as that shown in the first post on this topic, although the head shunt has been extended to create a small freight terminal.

Regards,

Ed

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I realise it's been a very long time since my last update, so sorry about that!

The layout has been progressing slowly in terms of scenery (even though it's over two years old now), so there isn't much to show on that front. However, I've been building up my rolling stock collection, including renumbering a bargain EWS Class 67 from 67001 to 67008 (I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of this or other new stock).

The big news, though, is that I have recently built new baseboards opposite the original ones, meaning that soon the layout will become a proper 'tail-chaser' replacing my old and rather tiresome system of cassettes at one end and a return loop at the other.

This is what the baseboards look like now:

24254017956_f00f96aae2_c.jpg

The new section is at the top of the image. From left to right, it starts as an 8 ft x 2 1/2 ft board, followed by a section which narrows to 1ft and then a slightly wider piece to allow the track to curve in before crossing to the other side of the room. The 4 ft x 6 ft board on the left hand side was the base for my original tail-chaser!

Below is the proposed track plan for the new side:

23653331043_34a9f1799d_c.jpg

And here is the new bit in detail:

24197615751_c6df74529c_c.jpg

Unlike the original layout, this isn't based on a real location. I intend to make the bottom section a small loco servicing facility, linked to the 'main line' by a non-electrified branch. I'd appreciate any advice on this plan. Ideally, I'd have space to store longer trains but I don't want it looking too cluttered.

Here are a few shots to show the new section as it stands at the moment, including a Hornby Class 395 and Class 60 to give a sense of scale:

23911801429_12945553f7_c.jpg

23911854059_90d7a58d55_c.jpg

24253536046_52c98306c5_c.jpg

The above photo shows the 'link' section - it's as narrow as possible to provide easy access through the trapdoor!

That's all for now. There won't be any layout updates for a couple of months I'm afraid but that gives me time to work out properly what I'll end up doing.

Ed

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi all,

I realise I haven't posted anything for quite a while! Lockdown has allowed me to devote much more time to modelling and I have made good progress with the new yard. Here is a short video of an MoD train on the layout, hopefully to be supplemented in the not too distant future with some Cavalex KFA Warflats from Trains4U.

Ed

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hi all,

This view shows the extension with the new sidings, with the small depot/loco servicing facility at the far end.

Sidings

Today I've been working on the level crossing, using the Wills Modern kit. I started by mounting the road/track panels on a piece of card with PVA, for ease of painting, using some spare track lengths to get the spacing right.

50312967571_53ed409f39_b.jpg

I then primed the panels with Halfords grey primer.

50313144737_53a9c200e7_b.jpg

The next step was to start painting, using a mixture of black, brown and grey acrylics from Humbrol and Vallejo.

50312301563_253bb0903b_b.jpg

When I was happy with the rough colouring, I started on the road markings.

50313145067_79524fded8_b.jpg

Next up I'll tackle the rest of the lines, followed by the anti-trespass boards and the barriers.

Ed 

• Like 6

• South-East Rail changed the title to Southsand-on-Sea (formerly Deal) - Present day East Kent in 00
  • 1 month later...

Some progress on the level crossing/road:

Road works

The base is cork sheet, with DAS clay on top. I used a mixture of black, white and brown acrylics for the asphalt colour, mixed with some talcum powder to achieve the texture.

Road works

Once I'm happy with the surface I will weather it down a bit, add the necessary road markings, and install the pavement (probably using more DAS clay).

Ed

• Like 3

• 2 years later...