2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

This is certainly great news for the 'Great Eastern' modeller. 3 Classes of loco which all worked in East Anglia!

Possibly good news for us that model in the North East,  as Hornby may move towards doing other pockets of the LNER network at some point.

Oh, and I see Apple Green A3 Book Law is back in the catalogue too!

2HAL!  That was unexpected but very welcome!  And the Black Motor will find a home on the Withered Arm roundy-roundy.

The J15, D16/3 and K1 will hopefully please those on the dry side!

Thanks for all your work here Andy.

Yes, if your world ended in 1970. Where's the all new, big ticket D or E release...? (at least they've given up flogging the life out of their AC loco range...).

Unless Bachmann does something this year the first proper modern AC will come from Dapol (ED88) as they will already have the tooling for 68 and 88 has the exact same body save for the roof. Of cource it's up to DRS who will do it in the end.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, if your world ended in 1970. Where's the all new, big ticket D or E release...? (at least they've given up flogging the life out of their AC loco range...).

Which big ticket locomotive would you suggest they do, given that most/all loco's have already been done, and hence the market for a duplication (even if to a higher standard) would be much smaller than for an all-new loco.

well i was right about 2 predictions - those interior lights on the mk1's but theyve gone and done it on all Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3s as an option - bonus :) and executive livery for the HST power cars.

i do think this program seems to have much better joined up thinking with a good batch of products for both the steam and the D&E fans.

the executive livery HST power cars will be very welcome on many a layout as will the ER ones with the later modified exhaust baffles.

Very surprised to see Mk2e's on the menu as I didnt think they were that different enough from Bachmanns forthcoming mk2f's to warrant a whole new family - be interesting to see ep's when they are ready.  New tooling using the same techniques as the recent Mk1s so they should look pretty good.  hopefully they liveries will be a good match to the Bachmann products and they fit NEM close coupler pockets to allow mixed sets from the blue and red box firms.

i am also glad about what I havent seen - ie new liveries of the 86, 87 and 90. that wouldnt have gone down very well with those wanting new versions.  Maybe next year eh lad?

I think Hornby have done alright with this little lot.  maybe they are on track to finding their mojo again now?

• RMweb Premium

Anybody else notice that Bagnall Brush diesel shunter in the railroad section for a very cheap £29 odd? Is this a new body on the 06 chassis perchance, or am I missing something?

This has appeared before as a diesel in the Thomas range.  Just reusing the tooling and presumably losing the face in the process.

Cheap little locos like this always sell well to the youngsters (and some not so young!)

Now, why oh why is the West Country Hornby Concessions only (speaking of which I can predict a few grumbles about the Royal 67 being limited as well!) and why the NRM version of the BR blue 2-Bil as well, that doesn't make any sense...

Nice to see a lot of old outdated rubbish has been binned except the Limby Warship which is regrettably back like the ghost of Christmas past...

Put me down for a couple of Black Motor's and a 2-HAL though...

May even consider something from the 'Great Left Months Ago' set!!

• RMweb Premium

Those Mk2Es, if they're the same process as per the new MK1s, I'm presuming that means they won't be to the kind of super detail standard of the likes of the Thompson Suburbans / Maunsells / etc, ?

Quote :

"Hornby are to release the teak Gresleys in post nationalisation form via their concessions."

unqote

.....  from "their concessions"   -  what are these nowadays since Modelzone disappeared ?    Is this W H Smiths and the one s at "STEAM" and "Hanleys" ?

??????

This has appeared before as a diesel in the Thomas range.  Just reusing the tooling and presumably losing the face in the process.

Cheap little locos like this always sell well to the youngsters (and some not so young!)

Thanks John. Managed to find a piccy of it now.

Guest Belgian

I've always wanted a 'proper' Black Motor - so WOW! However, I'm surprised there's no Original MN.

Glad there is no Original Merchant Navy.

I'd rather wait for a proper non-design-clever one from Bachmann now.

I have to agree - it's the last of the 'big' engines that could legitimately appear in BR Blue (as well as Bulleid Malachite, Wartime Black, BR Experimental Blue and BR Brunswick) so surely Bachmann will now jump in and take the lead here!

The 2 HAL is interesting (I've always thought that Half A Lavatory was a particulaly useless thing), they were very similar to the 2 BIL, which they replaced in the Southern's building programme, but the provision of the 3rd class brake driving motor car which was also used in the 4 LAVs (albeit with round-cornered windows in the 2 HAL) may indicate that one of the latter may be the next step for Hornby: but perhaps it's a bit early to start a wishlist prediction thread for the year after next!

The Great Eastern's looking good . . .

JE

Must admit not a lot for myself there, but glad to see the logical continuation of the sr emu. The mk2e I will welcome, but the cheap sound loco, that will require further investigation. Will they be fully DCC compliant and/or able to be reblown? The 9f , that was one I didn't expect from any of the major manufacturers, and glad to see some more of the humble 0-6-0 being made. Finally Hornby are producing mk3 coaches to go with their HST, but will there be enough this time? The limited selection of models only available from Hornby concestions, will this go further as in a testing the water as to what the market will support? Glad to see Hornby following in bachmanns footsteps with the preserved lines buildings, they would make excellent layouts, and I am surprised that more are not modelled as they allow you to run anything you feel like.

Which big ticket locomotive would you suggest they do, given that most/all loco's have already been done, and hence the market for a duplication (even if to a higher standard) would be much smaller than for an all-new loco.

Every single electric except 85? Or EMUs? Retool MK4?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy - and with a mention in despatches for your time and trouble dealing with the Image Problem

The 2Hal is a logical follow-on from the 2Bil which I welcome and am curious to learn how they have managed to get this relatively advanced fairly quickly (and without blowing cover) without a preserved unit to scan.  The blue 2Bil was almost a sure-fire after the green ones came out and a green SYP is a welcome addition also though still with the curious Hornby "faded" green if the finished item is anything like the artwork.

I'll probably end up with one each green SYP and blue 2Bil units and a single 2Hal.

What else?  

Another large logo 50 perhaps though the black roof might require some skilled weathering to create lighter streaks - I'm more accustomed to doing it the other way around.  FGW "beds" are tempting but too recent for me; I stop at fag packet and can't justify wholesale expense on matching current liveries to run alongside them.  There are also no Mk3b brakes or 3a lounge cars meaning a "Night Riviera" would require significant work.

Black Motor?  Maybe.  Just maybe.  It's a nice addition to the range and not one I had really expected to see.  Are we allowed to foam over the possibility of Z-class tanks for 2015???   ;)

Archived