2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

Yes, if your world ended in 1970. Where's the all new, big ticket D or E release...? (at least they've given up flogging the life out of their AC loco range...).

Which big ticket locomotive would you suggest they do, given that most/all loco's have already been done, and hence the market for a duplication (even if to a higher standard) would be much smaller than for an all-new loco.

Absolutely anything. There are plenty of locos still available that would lend themselves to their manufacturing methods, providing they aren't built down to a price like the Mk2e's are with their limited printing and plastic wheels.

Sticking budget sound in in a 37 or 47 has smacks of desperation about it, I can see a lot of them ending up on eBay after having their innards removed.

Well, a K1, and no 'celebrity' 62005? That leaves the door wide open for an NEPLG edition! There's three versions to go it in preserved form as well; the anachronistic LNER green, and named/unnamed black!

That's certainly the marquee model for me this year, and one which will be on my list, along with the NRM edition castle and WWI train-pack!

Looking forward to seeing EPs of the new items in due course too!

Cheers

J

Well Hornby have pulled all the stops out on this one,I was wrong about Bachmann where going to have a go at doing the Black moto

"God dam it",  i have a PDK kit sitting next to me, Ho well still going to build it.

just hope Hornby sort out the lead times on these models.

Well done Hornby

do people really jsut buy stuff cos they can? or is there and reasoning behind it?

There is a reason last year I brought nil from Hornby and only preordered 2 locos from Bachmann which I'm still waiting for this year there is a selection of locos for my layout that fits in with others I have brought

Good news indeed for LNER modeller.  

I picked the J15 as its similar to the Bachmann c class that sold like hotcakes, so this is certainly a winner.  I will have to be quick.

The D16 and K1 are a added bonus.  The CCTvan is a good addition, I already have 2 Parkside kits, 1 made and 1 unmade, so another wont hurt.   So that will be me for the year.  I might consider A3 Book Law depending on when it comes and the budget.

The 700, 9f crosti and 2-Hal are certainly good choices.

Well done Hornby.

Mark in OZ

Hi Tony,

On MREMAG, it mentions that the K1 was designed by Peppercorn.

Can I ask you, do you have instructions for a Nu-cast V1/V3?  I picked up a kit for around GBP 21/Aust$40.

I'm going to need a bigger loft or kick the kids out to build a new layout...

So much stuff....

Interesting to see the Bambi HST set has resurfaced, hopefully a new set of power cars to go with my Lima coaches..

More NMT coaches, some nice sleepers to go with the Bachy 57's...

I'd better stop spending and start saving !!!  :no:  :no:  :no:

The acid test for Hornby is getting the models produced in the right quantities at the right time to the right quality. The promised models are interesting choices but I hope that the supply issues which have plagued their plans have been largely resolved, otherwise they will continue to lose market share, or more. 

Quote :

"Hornby are to release the teak Gresleys in post nationalisation form via their concessions."

unqote

.....  from "their concessions"   -  what are these nowadays since Modelzone disappeared ?    Is this W H Smiths and the one s at "STEAM" and "Hanleys" ?

??????

According to the PDFs that were linked to by Andy: Modelzone (WHSmiths), Hawkin's Bazaar, Hornby.com and Seven Valley Railway

Excellent, lots of new stuff for 'my' area to complain about, I can join in on the grousing which I haven't really been able to this year.

Wonder if they have thought ahead on the K1, with a view to making the tooling with slides to enable the K4  - which was what the K1 was rebuilt from - to be a possibility? Only a small class, but there is a preserved example, and they carried both LNER green and romantic names.

Yes, if your world ended in 1970. Where's the all new, big ticket D or E release...? (at least they've given up flogging the life out of their AC loco range...).

To be fair, are there many big ticket 'D' releases left? I'm assuming you're meaning new, updated models rather than re-liveries?

I'm a D&E modeller and I'm pretty pleased with whats there to be honest. I didn't really expect that much to be announced. New Mark 2E coaches as an alternative to the Bachmann 2F's, Intercity Executive HST's and matching coaches, 50046, Coal Sector 60's ... between that and the existing Bachmann/Heljan/Dapol announcements my wallet wouldn't be able to take much more!!

Would've been nice to see a BFK or a new 1st Generation AC loco or unit but cant have everything at once!

Hi All,

Great programme. Good to see the Great Eastern steamers and the Crosti. Obviously I am pleased to see the 2Hal. It looks like they have tooled up the correct power collector bogie under the DTC. Hopefully they will fit it under the new 2Bil releases. The Mk2E is a welcome choice and good to see the Mk1 as part of the main range. Looking forward to next year.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Some very interesting results there from Hornby and some choices that really bring out good ideas.

Firstly, thinking of others....

The J15, D16/3 and 'Black Motor' are nice choices as it sees Hornby finally ploughing straight into the area of pregrouping designs. Its also no real surprise given I was banking on the S15, on the idea that Hornby wouldnt. Im glad to be proved wrong on this as it does give hope for further possibilities, particularly if they follow with the releases of the O1, B1 and K1 and give us lot up north proper in the domain of the 50, 51 and 52 area shedplate something next year. Whats lovely is that it does start to round off the Anglian area, Hornbys releases already give you the Brit, B1, O1, B17, L1, and now with the J15 and D16/3 as well as stock for that purpose. Thats quite a fleet and area captured by Hornby as virtually the entire regions fleet coming in a red box. I was aghast when the first B17 was announced knowing that this would likely happen, still its nice to see others benefit and get their wildest dreams come true.

And for me...

Thankfully, Hornby have also announced the K1 - my favourite engine is 62005 - so no prizes for guessing what mine will soon become. The class finally gives us up north something rightly to call our own. The class was quite common up here more so than other areas of the network and previous releases from both sides have always been seen in the light of having been made as they could be bought for working up here, but the main reason was they worked somewhere else - the O1 being mainly aimed for former GC/GE areas being a good example. It means that the only thing left for the North East Region is the former NER machines themselves, everything else is available, so Bachmann (for Gods sake) take note for July please!!

Now at long last, theres real hope for something North Eastern, aside from the ECML passing through it. Whether it be a nettle of a straw I'm clutching right now... Im grabbing it in hope harder than ever before!

Another one is the matching B1, 61267 which ended its days at Hartlepool. Im going to get this... although I think it does have the North Eastern smokebox door fitted to this, typical having altered by B1, to 61264 earlier this year!

The Royal class 67 is another to go with my choice for the current scene. So I expect that paying over the odds for it might have to be a hit to the wallet but one worthy of taking.

As for the rest:

Andys comments about the cheap DCC Sound being a game changer might just be where the market will go. No doubt Hornby have seen that 250+ kwid models dont shift. Getting it all back down to 150 would be great given the differences dont seem to be that great.

The EMU will please many as its what they need for modelling daun souff...

The reliveries match what was largely expected. Finally some decent class 60s in Trainload and Transrail, as they have been lacking for years. I expect thats another purchase from me.

No 156 that I predicted but it seems to have been dropped from the range. That seems ominous that Hornby often do that before a retool. Will it be back next year?

Colas class 56s might be the next trainload coal ones... will that be all they do from now on? DCR get a class 31 but choosing 31452 means you can only model one of them! Again the marker light is in the wrong place for 601, although if '454 makes a return to the mainline and gets a repaint the company might save Hornby and offer the chance of modelling a pair after all!

Perhaps one of the best moves is to offer Duchess of Sutherland with a support coach as a trainpack. Selling this in the livery it was requested and with the support coach will surely be a hit for Hornby and if so, It would be great to see further engines released as packs with support coaches - even if my modern fleet is largely complete anyway!

Personal Overall Rating:

J15              =  :friends:

D16/3          =     :no2:

K1               =  :yahoo:

Black Motor =   :bad:

Hornby 2014 = :yes:

Good news indeed for LNER modeller.  

I picked the J15 as its similar to the Bachmann c class that sold like hotcakes, so this is certainly a winner.  I will have to be quick.

The D16 and K1 are a added bonus.  The CCTvan is a good addition, I already have 2 Parkside kits, 1 made and 1 unmade, so another wont hurt.   So that will be me for the year.  I might consider A3 Book Law depending on when it comes and the budget.

The 700, 9f crosti and 2-Hal are certainly good choices.

Well done Hornby.

Mark in OZ

Hi Tony,

On MREMAG, it mentions that the K1 was designed by Peppercorn.

Can I ask you, do you have instructions for a Nu-cast V1/V3?  I picked up a kit for around GBP 21/Aust$40.

Good morning Mark.

Peppercorn, yes. Not Peppersorn as printed!

Sorry, though I've built several Nu-Cast V1/3s, I don't still have the instructions. 

Guest Belgian

The Class 700 Black Motor is to have a diecast body to provide the weight which I find interesting...

Possibly because it follows on from the T9 which also has a metal boiler, although in model form the T9 one is 4mm longer at the firebox end. Possibly the EP uses a cut-down T9 boiler and the production version will have a plastic one . . . but hopefully not, and probably not, as the cab appears to be an integral part of the boiler this time.*

*edited after I looked at it more carefully!

JE

Archived