2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

Interesting set of choices.

They do seem to have sniped a significant cross section of the wishlist for steam there though very Eastern again.

The 2HAL is a nice statement of commitment to a path with 3rd rail. 

The MK2e's were surprising but welcome.  Someone actually did some "clever thinking" there.  Doesn't duplicate their existing 2d's or Bachmann's forthcoming 2f's, but "close enough" for most purposes so that you can choose whether to buy in a red or blue box.  That would make the MK2c the only unrepresented type over all now?

The acid test for Hornby is getting the models produced in the right quantities at the right time to the right quality. The promised models are interesting choices but I hope that the supply issues which have plagued their plans have been largely resolved, otherwise they will continue to lose market share, or more. 

Should have said that in the 2014 Hornby Predictions thread,  not here.  We've heard it enough times now.......

As ever you dig a bit deeper and out pop a few surprises.

The Railroad Mk1s are shown as £19.99 but those SR versions with lights will be £36.50 - I wonder what type of lighting system these will have over the Mk2e's as the price difference for those is only a fiver £24.99 versus £29.99.  On the Mk3s its a £7 difference so whats so special about the Mk1's lights?  No mention that they will be DCC.

Maybe the Mk1 coaches will be dcc fitted and the Mk2s and Mk3s will just be permanently on with no dcc.  

• RMweb Gold

A fascinating programme and in some respects a very chancy one as they are putting a lot of faith in folk having the money to back up what they have been saying for a long while.  And do I detect an implication that there will be a move back towards the higher detail fidelity which at least suggests they are gaining confidence in their new manufacturers, a good point.  

Overall we are seeing a very significant shift in Hornby's marketing emphasis which must present a risk for them as a lot of sales are likely to depend on their getting models out onto the shelves at a sensible rate thus enabling folk, such as the GE section fans, to spread expenditure.  I hope for the future that Hornby can manage that but at the same time I reckon it will sit a lot more readily with production in smaller batches than their past approach to the model railway business and it is perhaps a sign that they are crossing the rubicon, definitely a game changer in that respect.  

However some aspects of their programme worry me to be honest with a further raft of Western 8 coupled tanks coming onto the market very quickly after the initial release - do they seriously believe that a lot of folk didn't buy because of those moulded smokebox door handles; I'm not objecting to this excellent change but it doesn't affect me, I have mine (will they do smokebox doors as a separate part I wonder?).   And a quick rush into further 2BIL variants although again I suspect production in limited numbers which would surely be a sensible way of going about it? While presumably initial 2 HAL production will aim for a relatively large first batch?

Their coaching stock approach is again very interesting and some of it will undoubtedly be very succesful but again it really depends on getting the stock to market.

What will I be buying - the BR version of the CCT and possibly 'Caerphilly Castle', if it is an NRM model

It is as if the Hornby has read the last three years wish lists and plucked the 'regular entries. The J15, K1 and LSWR 70 have been regularly asked for.

I guessed the LNER 'Claud' 4-4-0 right except for the variant....... An opening there for an etcher to supply decorative running plate angle.

A Crosti-boiler Railroad variant is a good idea. Lots of weathering will pick out all that moulded pipework a treat.

The '700' class intrigues me....Is that boiler and cab cast in mazak? If so, it's a good way of putting weight where its needed instead of inserting a plug in a plastic boiler.

Credit where credit is due, that BR EMU Class 402 2-hal has wire drivers handgrabs, separate connecting cables on the driving end and wire conduiting along the roof where 2013's handed down wisdom would have presumed moulded on detail.

Some of the pricing is a bit close together, ie :-   £129.99 and £131.25, when a common £130.50 would cover both and keep things simple.  Talking of simple, the Welsh Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch sheep carrier wagon hasn't gone unnoticed!

The "There's nothing there for me" continues unnabated in some responses, but it looks to me like Hornby is back in the game, at least with its projected models. They are modellers models and neatly dispell the idea that this company was making a run for the toy department with big colourful named engines.

Well done in my book.... :imsohappy:

Yes... the Late crest duchess is back at last, no more stupid ebay prices for City of Lancaster (would have been nice to have a green one too.) The BR Duke with the more appealing tender is great news too and, at last, a K1. Things for us ScR modellers once again.

Interesting stuff!

DougN and I were idly chatting yesterday evening (Sunday) and actually came up with quite a few of those as suggestions. I said that the 2 HAL would be quite logical as it could share the underpinnings of the 2 BIL. I hope Hornby are going to produce it as shown in the pictures with the extra separate details on the roofs.

The cheaper sound is an interesting development too, particularly as Bachmann are also trying the same idea.

There are quite a few models I'll be buying, provided I haven't gone bankrupt first!! :D

One suggestion for Hornby: could you incorporate smoke units in the Crostis' cabs?? Apparently, they had quite a reputation for filling up with smoke, even after fitting the smoke deflectors!!  :lol:

• RMweb Gold

A brace of Black Motors for me (maybe a third to be fitted with a snow plough.....), another Maunsell SO and the Gresley CCT.

I'd go for Manston, too. I have the Collector's Club one in the later condition - is this one a Collector's Club edition, too? If so, I might have to join up.

Another 3 CDA's for my small 1980s fleet will probably find their way to me, too.

It doesn't sound much but it'll be more than I've spent with Hornby over the last couple of years and there's still 'Okehampton' to come anyway.

I'm not greedy - just so long as I get one all-new BR(S) loco and the odd re-run every year! The S.15 next please?

All the GE section locos are going to cost my mate a fortune and I'll get to drive them!!!!

Nice to see a scale length Mk1 BG at last, though I've already got all I need from Replica and Bachmann.

John

To be fair, are there many big ticket 'D' releases left? I'm assuming you're meaning new, updated models rather than re-liveries?

I'm a D&E modeller and I'm pretty pleased with whats there to be honest. I didn't really expect that much to be announced. New Mark 2E coaches as an alternative to the Bachmann 2F's, Intercity Executive HST's and matching coaches, 50046, Coal Sector 60's ... between that and the existing Bachmann/Heljan/Dapol announcements my wallet wouldn't be able to take much more!!

Would've been nice to see a BFK or a new 1st Generation AC loco or unit but cant have everything at once!

The only AC that currently cuts the mustard is the Bachmann 85, everything else is a waste of materials and manufacturing capacity. That means hundreds of AC electrics and a large untapped market even before they improve the existing pups, despite the two-tier range there must still be some confusion as to what the consumer is buying.

And then there are DMU & EMU's, although there seems to be a mindset that nothing with more than two coaches will sell. If only they could stretch to three, they could cover a lot of the Scottish allocated EMU's...

Interesting choice of numbers for the J15s.

Could be some scope for a spot of bashing to create the correct details for time and place.

For those who are not aware they did get about a bit.

Watlington branch any one?

Forget the rest. This little gem will keep me busy for a couple of winters.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Whats lovely is that it does start to round off the Anglian area, Hornbys releases already give you the Brit, B1, O1, B17, L1, and now with the J15 and D16/3 as well as stock for that purpose. Thats quite a fleet and area captured by Hornby as virtually the entire regions fleet coming in a red box.

Or one could be really greedy and say it only makes the lack of an N7 even more noticeable.

Seriously, I do a feel a bit sorry for the North-eastern and Scottish boys, and hope their Q6, J27, Caley 0-4-4T etc turn up soon.

But for the moment, I'm still reeling - four locos I have to have!    :danced:

• RMweb Premium

Well done Hornby. Certainly lots of interest in there. I was proved wrong on their "big engine" policy and honestly didn't see a J15 coming from them. A bit puzzled at another SR EMU so soon after the BIL, but it seems to be meeting with rapturous applause , so again could be wrong there. For me the D16, J15 are possibles even though I don't model the Great Eastern. The K1 looks good . The Black Motor doesn't appeal at all , but I know it will be popular to modellers South of the Thames. I lament for NER and Scottish modellers (with the exception of the K1!)

I think main range and railroad are now even further confused

As I understand it the new Mk2Es will be in main range (plus lights ) £29.99, Main range (no lights) £24.99  and Railroad (£22.99). Mk1s will appear in main range and still as Railroad. The new Crosti 9F is marked as Railroad but retails at £119.99 (Evening Star is £84.99). So again a wee bit puzzled as to what you get and why its in Railroad range - possibly lots of moulded detail ? Hopefully the catalogue will be revamped to give mich more detail, but from what I'm seeing so far still looks confused.

It does look like someones been listening though, with separate smokebox darts on the big tanks and finally an Executive 125 appearing. Should go down well.  Also it looks like coaches will be available at the same time as power cars

Over on MREmag Pat Hammond states " If you have trouble with supplies, move on, find new suppliers and give them new models to make.  This happened in 2013 and now several companies in China are working for Hornby."  Well lets hope Hornby get the goods moving again and supply whats outstanding in 2013 and the 2014 ranges. If they pull that off then they will have a richly deserved outstanding year. But with several new suppliers I haope they keep their eye on quality and they also have to adopt some common standards or will it depend what company makes the model as to what the final spec will be (I'm thinking Star moulded handrails here or 4 VEP running qualities)

Interesting choice of numbers for the J15s.

Could be some scope for a spot of bashing to create the correct details for time and place.

For those who are not aware they did get about a bit.

Watlington branch any one?

Forget the rest. This little gem will keep me busy for a couple of winters.

Bernard

They even got onto the LT system via the Fairlop loop .

Well, a K1, and no 'celebrity' 62005? That leaves the door wide open for an NEPLG edition! There's three versions to go it in preserved form as well; the anachronistic LNER green, and named/unnamed black!

Yep, I'm holding out for 2005 or 62005. As long as it isn't consigned to a C*llectors club edition. Still at least an excuse for me to aviod the dreaded 'first release' of a new model (e.g. class 67 etc). By the time they release the preserved loco, the bugs will have been ironed out.

BUT - do we know the quality of the new models - are they going to  be B17/B1/O1/L1 (detail, bearings) quality or Star 'quality' - i.e. moulded detail no bearings. There is no indiciation of this... HELP

Also Mk2s great, but presumably no close couplings, especially given the Bachmann ones will have. A retrograde step for 'main range' models... and a lot of expense/faff to fit such cam mechanisms one's self. Still I suspect the 'majority' will be happy.

All in all a nice year. Great to see the MML HST. One of privitisations more colourful liveries. Always reminds me of humous and carrot (a decicious sandwhich MML supplied me with once - echos the orange in the livery).

IF productions and design standards are on the up, a very exciting a promising period (note I didn't say year!)

Mark 2Es – Confusion reigns...

The info at the top of the announcement states that they will be like the Mk1’s – design clever – but released in the main Hornby range. So some confusion there about whether design clever means railroad or main range?

As I understood it, design clever was an effort to reduce costs by removing the super-detail found on coaches costing £35+.

Further down in the “New liveries/numbers - Coaches & Wagons” section, the info states “NEW TOOLING: The Hornby RailRoad Mk2 E coaches are designed using the same techniques as the new Hornby Mk1 coaches. With their economy of livery and plastic wheels these will be part of the RailRoad range.

So are we getting 2E’s in the main range AND the Railroad range ?

Then this “2013 saw the introduction of Railroad Mark 1 coaches, in 2014 these will also be available as main range products with additional decoration and steel wheels.”

So with these announcements and the recently released Mik1’s we have potentially two new types of coach (Mk1 & Mk 2E), in two different ranges (Main and Railroad) and some with the option of lighting.

That’s a muddled message as far as I’m concerned.

Archived