2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

However some aspects of their programme worry me to be honest with a further raft of Western 8 coupled tanks coming onto the market very quickly after the initial release - do they seriously believe that a lot of folk didn't buy because of those moulded smokebox door handles; I'm not objecting to this excellent change but it doesn't affect me, I have mine (will they do smokebox doors as a separate part I wonder?).

I didn't buy a second 42xx, or 72xx, because I felt Hornby had given us the 'railroad' version first. It seems that Hornby have taken on board some of the criticisms that came with the initial batch, and have (apparently) upgraded the model. It remains to be seen whether they have made other detail upgrades to the model, and have just mentioned the dart for starters....

Ian

• RMweb Premium

For my own purposes I'm pleased about the Black Motor and for the revival of the black/Sunshine T9 that was dropped previously. The response to that decision may have indicated to Hornby that potential sales can't be predicted solely on the basis of pre-orders. The J15 and D16 are a boon for GE section modellers who have so far been blessed only with larger locos. The Crosti 9F is interesting and cries out to be weathered; I remember them as absolutely filthy.

I'm disappointed in the offerings for pre-BR wagons though. The 10ft wheelbase PO minerals and the Airfix clone 5 plank opens in inappropriate PO liveries are still with us along with the wood underframe with LMS clasp AVB and some survivals of positively antediluvian body/underframe combinations. The short wooden underframe appears mainly under yet another assortment of quarry company wagons, which presumably are partly aimed at the collector market.

The Star train pack is tempting.

Hopefully these releases have been planned in the context of the new production arrangements and won't be delayed into 2015.

Pete

Thanks Andy, food for thought. The sound chip sounds interesting. Wonder if it will be separately available for retro fitting. They need to get the number right on Duchess of Gloucester; 46223 was Princess Alice I seem to remember. How long will we have to wait for these new items? I'm still waiting for the Duke of Gloucester!

• RMweb Gold

Excellent and ambitious! I'm particularly interested to see a few of the GWR tanks' issues being ironed out.

A J15 is incredibly good news, but at over £100 for an 0-6-0? I think that will count me out for now at least.Same goes for the 700 class.

It's no worse than the similar-sized Bachmann Dukedog and a lot less than a second-hand SECR-liveried  'C'!

So long as they make something I want, to the standard I want, and my total spend for the year is affordable, I don't buy locos by the foot any more. :scratchhead:

John

Good to see Midland Mainline returning after 16/17 years. I am in a way surprised about this 2014 range and in a good way at that.

Talking about those MML Mk3 coaches, I hope that Hornby announce a MML HST Pack to go with them, then a lot of saving up is in need.

Thankyou Hornby :sungum:

LNER long CCT - Margate really hammering through Parkside's home turf now...

Good to see the definitive sixties Trout back.

Crosti, very exciting. 

Nice to see another bread and butter B1, but did I miss the Black Fives and Brits?

The pricing is interesting to me.  The RRPs on the Mk1s and Mk2Es are very competitive, making full length rakes really quite affordable.  I'm curious as to how the new steam locos and EMUs are produced at a lower RRP than the 50s, 56s and 60s- is this the impact of the design clever policy?  On initial appearance they look like well detailed models with separate handrails, pipes etc.

• RMweb Premium

Mark 2Es – Confusion reigns...

The info at the top of the announcement states that they will be like the Mk1’s – design clever – but released in the main Hornby range. So some confusion there about whether design clever means railroad or main range?

As I understood it, design clever was an effort to reduce costs by removing the super-detail found on coaches costing £35+.

Further down in the “New liveries/numbers - Coaches & Wagons” section, the info states “NEW TOOLING: The Hornby RailRoad Mk2 E coaches are designed using the same techniques as the new Hornby Mk1 coaches. With their economy of livery and plastic wheels these will be part of the RailRoad range.

So are we getting 2E’s in the main range AND the Railroad range ?

Then this “2013 saw the introduction of Railroad Mark 1 coaches, in 2014 these will also be available as main range products with additional decoration and steel wheels.”

So with these announcements and the recently released Mik1’s we have potentially two new types of coach (Mk1 & Mk 2E), in two different ranges (Main and Railroad) and some with the option of lighting.

That’s a muddled message as far as I’m concerned.

Yes I think you read this correctly with versions of both "design Clever" coaches in both main and Railroad Range   with further option of lights . Someone has mentioned £34 for a Mk1 with lights but I haven't seen official price yet- the Mk2s would appear to be £29.  I do like the justification for the BR teak Gresleys non corridor coaches - 100 print processes , brings them in at eye watering £61

Really pleased about the Black Motor but just hope it isn't a "design clever" model and at least one of the BR versions comes out weathered. I would hazard a guess this might be Hornby's answer to Bachmann's success with the C classes. Love the idea of releasing a Crosti 9F but why oh why does it have to be in the railroad range :angry:  and it needs to be weathered as well.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't buy a second 42xx, or 72xx, because I felt Hornby had given us the 'railroad' version first. It seems that Hornby have taken on board some of the criticisms that came with the initial batch, and have (apparently) upgraded the model. It remains to be seen whether they have made other detail upgrades to the model, and have just mentioned the dart for starters....

Ian

A good point Ian - when I corresponded with SK about these engines some time back the replies were, basically -

1. That they would look at dealing with the smokebox door handle but it shouldn't be difficult (which they now appear to have done), but

2, They could do nothing about the back (bunker side) of the cab backplate as to do so would create mould release problems, and

3. They would look at the question of the rear end of the frames lacking detail.

So there might possibly be another change when the locos arrive.

A J15 AND a Claud Hamilton - brilliant news.

A 2HAL too - excellent! Is it me, or does that look to have a lot more detail than the 2BIL?

I agree, but subject to them not being blighted by Design Clever. They need to match Bachmann's recent achievements, but the 2HAL does look like they may have had a re-think, and its photos do look like tooling from the frozen design is well advanced.

The Nim.

Well someone has to say it so I will ...

Nothing in there for me !!

But then I'm a BR 60's Somerset & Dorset modeller, and apart from tender variations, just about every loco type that ran on the S&D in the 60s is already available. So no surprise really.

So I will say ... WELL DONE Hornby ... lets hope you've shut up the 'Big Bad Hornby' critics. 

Guest Belgian

Black is good.... Black and North Eastern is better! :victory:

Wrong. There is nothing better than a Black Motor. If Black and North Eastern is 'better', Black and South Western is best . . . !!!! :stinker:

JE

So we finally finish 4 Mk2E coaches for Kirkhill and then Hornby decide to make them (not actually a problem because I would like some more).

I assume next year that Hornby will finally release a rebodied 21T Hopper because I have eleven Parkside kits to build over the next year.

Finally, a TRSB. No more cutting and shutting.

• RMweb Premium

LNER long CCT - Margate really hammering through Parkside's home turf now...

Good to see the definitive sixties Trout back.

Crosti, very exciting. 

Nice to see another bread and butter B1, but did I miss the Black Fives and Brits?

There are a couple of Brits listed as through Concessions 70043 Lord Kitchener and 70044 Earl Haig. No sign of Black 5s , 4MTs , Rebuilt MN or WC, L1 or B17s though

Did I read this right:-

R3272 - DB Schenker Class 67, “Diamond Jubilee

This is this years Limited Edition re-released ??

i think that was the one with the large Union Jack/Flag emblems and silver livery on the sides......a different version but possibly same loco.

Also Mk2s great, but presumably no close couplings,

The type of couplings havent been mentioned anywhere have they?  New tooled coaches surely will have close couplings - its no good to man nor beast to try and couple a new Mk2e with huge D shaped coupling up to a Bachmann Mk2f with its small close coupler or indeed if you want to connect the two using something like Bachmanns dummy brake pipe.

Mark 2Es – Confusion reigns...

The info at the top of the announcement states that they will be like the Mk1’s – design clever – but released in the main Hornby range. So some confusion there about whether design clever means railroad or main range?

As I understood it, design clever was an effort to reduce costs by removing the super-detail found on coaches costing £35+.

Further down in the “New liveries/numbers - Coaches & Wagons” section, the info states “NEW TOOLING: The Hornby RailRoad Mk2 E coaches are designed using the same techniques as the new Hornby Mk1 coaches. With their economy of livery and plastic wheels these will be part of the RailRoad range.

So are we getting 2E’s in the main range AND the Railroad range ?

Then this “2013 saw the introduction of Railroad Mark 1 coaches, in 2014 these will also be available as main range products with additional decoration and steel wheels.”

So with these announcements and the recently released Mik1’s we have potentially two new types of coach (Mk1 & Mk 2E), in two different ranges (Main and Railroad) and some with the option of lighting.

That’s a muddled message as far as I’m concerned.

I think its a basic Railroad mk2e with the plastic wheels and lo-fi livery then you move to the main range split between a version with lights and without - or at least that how I see it given they have listed 3 price tiers of £22.99, £24.99 and £29.99 (they could have goofed up on one of the prices I guess that shouldnt be there).

What I see less so is the split between the mk1 pricing tiers.........£19.99 vs £36.50  :O

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of Brits listed as through Concessions 70043 Lord Kitchener and 70044 Earl Haig. No sign of Black 5s , 4MTs , Rebuilt MN or WC, L1 or B17s though

I think we're still waiting for last year's L1s and B17s, along with the M7s and N2s.

Very surprised to see Mk2e's on the menu as I didnt think they were that different enough from Bachmanns forthcoming mk2f's to warrant a whole new family - be interesting to see ep's when they are ready.  New tooling using the same techniques as the recent Mk1s so they should look pretty good.  hopefully they liveries will be a good match to the Bachmann products and they fit NEM close coupler pockets to allow mixed sets from the blue and red box firms.

I wondered how they are going to get the mould out of the body, with such a pronounced tumblehome curve. Not my period though, so no need for me to fret over it.

The Nim.

Someone has mentioned £34 for a Mk1 with lights but I haven't seen official price yet-

No, no £34. Its £36.50 (est) shown on the site.  Purely guessing but for that level of premium (75%  !!) over the basic £19.99 version I would say it must be a dcc fitted coach.   Who knows but thats one hell of jump..........yet on the Mk2s and Mk2 you can have lights for between £5 and £7 extra......of course these are all RRPs so grab your salt cellar.

Well I've just finished the baseboards for my version of Benwick goods and I had resigned myself to running it with Bachmann 03s, so the J15 is a huge bonus and opens up all sorts of possibilities. I really thought that it would be Bachmann who would do it sooner or later. Hope it is not design clever...

Archived