2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

Glad to see the 2 HAL in the list.

Even more pleased to see that it has the correct trailing pick-up bogie on the trailer composite (which means there will be a plentiful supply of those bogies as spares). It does look like Hornby have taken heed of some intensive lobbying to get the model to a better standard of accuracy than the 2 BIL. Hornby have even got the front headstock/cab corners right.

Credit where credit due, well done Nick Scott!

Colin Parks

1. i think that was the one with the large Union Jack/Flag emblems and silver livery on the sides......a different version but possibly same loco.

2. I think its a basic Railroad mk2e with the plastic wheels and lo-fi livery then you move to the main range split between a version with lights and without - or at least that how I see it given they have listed 3 price tiers of £22.99, £24.99 and £29.99 (they could have goofed up on one of the prices I guess that shouldnt be there).

1 - That's right.

2 - Also correct and I am waiting for confirmation on the pricing for the Mk1 and Mk2s.

Looking at the model of Terrier "Sutton" it looks like they've got the wrong bunker on it along with a toolbox on the back which I'm pretty sure it never carried and the model of Manston has red backed nameplates which again I'm fairly certain it only carried blue coloured plates (happy to be proved wrong though  :yes:) . Sorry I know it's all "rivet counting" but if Hornby are going to charge high prices for these models they could at least get the details right.  

I hope Hornby do well, I really do. as a D&E modeller I welcome the 2e coaches, but would hope to see them match in profile and quality Bachmann's announced 2f's I know its a big one to quander and with many unkowns. The opportunity is too good to provide a full complimentary range of BR era carriages has been a long time coming.

Could we see a BUO in the future which could compliment the current and prototypical make up of the Scottish sleepers? a niche market perhaps but if done as a train set pack? we would only then need a RLF which is a 2f!

I would have thought the Royal 67 might have been worth a wider release?

A few years ago we were told next year for more D&E releases, lets hope it is 2015 then. I dont mean that in a negative way at all and not bashing or favouring one company over an other, it is so simple to do online that. We need all our manufacturers for the long term.

The connection with the LT Central Line was only at Leyton, the Newbury Park connection with BR being severed and the cutting filled to make allotments (just done the road from me).

I used to hear steam trains in the night .i lived at Barkingside .They had a coal depot .Never saw one as I was too young .

The '700' class intrigues me....Is that boiler and cab cast in mazak? If so, it's a good way of putting weight where its needed instead of inserting a plug in a plastic boiler.

Assuming that the production model develops from this early pre-prod it certainly packs a bit of weight into that whitemetal body, this shot shows just how narrow the footplate is.

700cS.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Assuming that the production model develops from this early pre-prod it certainly packs a bit of weight into that whitemetal body, this shot shows just how narrow the footplate is.

attachicon.gif700cS.jpg

Looks very promising and nice to see it's not just at the CAD stage.

There is one slight problem with the announcement, though. 30345 wasn't a 700 but a K10 4-4-0 withdrawn in 1949 (probably without being renumbered).

30346 was a 700 and a long-term resident of Guildford so I'm guessing it's just a typo.

John

The only AC that currently cuts the mustard is the Bachmann 85, everything else is a waste of materials and manufacturing capacity. That means hundreds of AC electrics and a large untapped market even before they improve the existing pups, despite the two-tier range there must still be some confusion as to what the consumer is buying.

And then there are DMU & EMU's, although there seems to be a mindset that nothing with more than two coaches will sell. If only they could stretch to three, they could cover a lot of the Scottish allocated EMU's...

But AC electrics - even good ones - don't sell - ask Bachmann. Similarly with coach numbers in EMUs - extra coaches push the unit prices beyond what are considered to be 'acceptable' levels.

Guest Belgian

attachicon.gif700cS.jpg

It also shows what an incredibly simple locomotive the 700 was.

I note from the original photographs you posted Andy that the boiler looks 'complete', in other words, the motor appears to be totally contained in the firebox. I do hope this is so* because the 'daylight' below the raised boiler in the 700s was one of the design's most obvious features and contributed to its stark 'beauty' (the type of beauty in the eye of the beholder such as I!).

JE

* I see that Hornby state that it has a three-pole motor with flywheel - that's going to be difficult to get in there!!!!

Guest Belgian

Looks very promising and nice to see it's not just at the CAD stage.

There is one slight problem with the announcement, though. 30345 wasn't a 700 but a K10 4-4-0 withdrawn in 1949 (probably without being renumbered).

30346 was a 700 and a long-term resident of Guildford so I'm guessing it's just a typo.

John

It must be a Hornby error rather than Andy's as Pat Hammond also quotes the late crest one as 30345.

JE

Finally, a TRSB. No more cutting and shutting.

But is it definately a TRSB? (RFM tooling?)

Or have they used the wrong artwork when really they should have shown a three window TRUB? Same mistake(?) last year as well.

As presumably if you are having a TRSB for an ER HST set then one will also need a TRUK.

On the subject of the Mk2e's can Hornby please stop calling the FO a 'composite'!!!!!!!!! (These only existed on the Irish Air Cons.)

I am not a Hornby basher but…  The WWI troop train pack has GWR coaches in chocolate and cream.  GWR coaches went all-over brown from 1908, and then crimson lake from 1912-22 when the original livery was restored.  Until war broke out the railway was very quick at repainting and maintaining its corporate image, and so please don't issue the coaches in that livery!

The connection with the LT Central Line was only at Leyton, the Newbury Park connection with BR being severed and the cutting filled to make allotments (just done the road from me).

Yes, and though the memory is long lost, probably the first steam locomotive I ever saw was a J15 on the pick-up goods that used to work through to Loughton.

Interesting that Hornby have announced two 0-6-0 types that were loaned to the ROD during WW1 for the centenary year of the start of the conflict.  Just a coincidence?

• RMweb Premium

It's a bonanza for those interested in modelling the East Anglia and southern England areas!

I predicted a Claud, B12, classes 25, 26 and 47, 4-SUB EMU, and a three-car East Sussex DMU, also cheaper DCC sound fitted locos.

Not been disappointed with a J15 and a Claud, and a bet a lot asked for a K1 who've now got their wishes granted. If I can trace the allocation history of preserved 65462 back to the 1920s/30s if then allocated to Ipswich when my late gran lived I might add one to my fleet.

The 2HAL I thought was a logical step on from a 2BIL, but not for 2014, however I only remember them as the converted departmental stores unit 023 formed from two driving motors.

The LNER CCTs could be seen nationwide, I believe one of them was in departmental service at Fratton.

If these cheaper sound units are available separately and of good enough sound quality they'll make quite a stir in the market - for that price I can't see them being reprogrammable or reblown compared with ESU but would allow more modellers to install sound.

There are no Mk2b coaches either, I think?

Not currently, but the Lima ones were MK2b's I thought.

Having just looked at the number of variants for each MK2 type, I think I can predict what we're going to see next - MK2b's as there are only three types; BFK, FK and TSO (the 2e's are BSO, FO and TSO, the 2f's are BSO, FO, TSO (plus DBSO)).

Not a lot for the GW or WR modeller (I was hoping for some toplights and/or a decent B set, even at 40 quid a throw!) BUT some inspired choices from Hornby. The J15 and D16 make modelling East Anglian lines very easy and are a good fit with the Gresley and Thompson coaches plus the Britannia, B1, B17, L1 etc. The only thing missing is a suitable tank loco for all those glorious ex GE branch lines and byways, such as an N7, Buck or F4 or F5, although you could run only J15s as photos of the Aldeburgh and other branches show. (Indeed, the Mid Suffolk was, I think, operated wholly by them post WW2!) I'm very tempted .....

The 700 is also an excellent choice and again fits in well with the M7, T9 and Maunsell coaches. There is now almost everything modellers need to reproduce ex LSWR branch lines and only an S15 is needed for main lines layouts.....

Only 3 hours after the announcements and there are 150 posts and over 200 users browsing this topic!

David C

Legend, on 16 Dec 2013 - 11:33, said:

The new Crosti 9F is marked as Railroad but retails at £119.99 (Evening Star is £84.99). So again a wee bit puzzled as to what you get and why its in Railroad range - possibly lots of moulded detail ?

It looks like a complete new body with a lot of extra parts attached, but sitting on the previous chassis which is somewhat lacking in detail compared to the Bachmann one which you'd feel "disgruntled at" if it was a new main range tooling - so a case of Hornby being quite honest in this instance.

Archived