2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

...Only 3 hours after the announcements and there are 150 posts and over 200 users browsing this topic!...

It's also caused the new highest online figure (previously 765 in November last year), now at 800 as of 10.15 this morning.

• RMweb Gold

They are doing the power cars.

Indeed

Midland Mainline Class 43 HST

DCC Ready. 5 pole skew wound , twin motor drive. Operating lights. Day and night lighting. Etched metal parts. Engine detail. Cab detail. Scale speed. Pick ups on all wheels. Mid 90s livery.

Code: R3270

• RMweb Gold

It must be a Hornby error rather than Andy's as Pat Hammond also quotes the late crest one as 30345.

JE

Yes I can confirm that the original information released by Hornby stated 30345. It is on the list of clarifications to seek from them once the dust has settled a little.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a puzzler though. As far as I can see R4620 and R4628 are listed as Mk1 coaches Carmine & Cream. Both are SO, but these are the only ones listed as Carmine & Cream . Is this correct  or is there a brake and a composite lurking somewhere?

But is it definately a TRSB? (RFM tooling?)

Or have they used the wrong artwork when really they should have shown a three window TRUB? Same mistake(?) last year as well.

As presumably if you are having a TRSB for an ER HST set then one will also need a TRUK.

i was wondering the same thing - were these ever in the blue/grey livery for 125s?  i thought the 4 window buffets/rests appeared from executive or even swallow livery onwards but in the 1970s and 1980s im sure only the 3 window buffet was around.

?? maybe a resident coachaphile can shed some light.

This year's announcements were quite a shocker. As a modeler in the fields of Eastern and Southern territory, I'm quite satisfied with the announcement of all four engines. The K1 was an engine I imagined Hornby doing for a few years now, but now its finally coming out. We now have some East Anglian stars, and I couldn't ask for any better. The Blackmotor is an incredible surprise too. Well done Hornby. May this year's choices bring the company great success.

Not currently, but the Lima ones were MK2b's I thought.

Having just looked at the number of variants for each MK2 type, I think I can predict what we're going to see next - MK2b's as there are only three types; BFK, FK and TSO (the 2e's are BSO, FO and TSO, the 2f's are BSO, FO, TSO (plus DBSO)).

were the corridor versions only in mk2d then?

Just bought enough flush glazing to do my Lima Intercity livery Mk 3s.  Never mind really pleased to see this version of Intercity is being done. Intercity 1986 as Hornby are calling it has been missing for some time.

Mk 2E are exciting.  Could they be flush glazed versions of the old Lima air cons?  Not sure which version of Intercity they will be. I think Intercity in italics came along in 87 when the HST s began to appear in Intercity Swallow. It s called Intercity post 1986 on the web.

Could my detailed fleet of 20 plus Lima 47s be about to go DVD sound?

Will they cheap as chips sound chips be a) removable, b ) available without buying a loco, and c) dare I ask recordable. I am assuming the sound will be realistic.

Someone asked about Mk 2 bs, Lima did the bs or cs wonder if I buy flush glazing kits and then someone may reissue them already flush glazed!

Well done Hornby.

Indeed

Midland Mainline Class 43 HST

DCC Ready. 5 pole skew wound , twin motor drive. Operating lights. Day and night lighting. Etched metal parts. Engine detail. Cab detail. Scale speed. Pick ups on all wheels. Mid 90s livery.

Code: R3270

Where are they, then? I've been through the diesel locos section twice and can't see them!

p.s. doing a search on 'Midland Mainline' only brings up the coaches

RE: But is it definately a TRSB? (RFM tooling?)

i was wondering the same thing - were these ever in the blue/grey livery for 125s?  i thought the 4 window buffets/rests appeared from executive or even swallow livery onwards but in the 1970s and 1980s im sure only the 3 window buffet was around.

?? maybe a resident coachaphile can shed some light.

The four window TRUK and TRSB were the original HST catering vehicle designs from the time when HST's were going to have two vehicles in each set.

So they would have been in blue/grey.

However the Hornby (adapted Lima) four window model is a locomotive hauled RFM so strictly speaking innacurate for HST use.

Even though some of these were converted from redundant HST TRUK's.

However an Eastern Region HST with only one catering vehicle would require the three window TRUB (applying to all standard formation sets from around the mid eighties hence why the TRUK's became redundant and some were converted in-to loco hauled RFM's).

Great news about the K1, long overdue in my opinion, especially as the real one has been active on both main line and preserved lines for so long.

The Claud is also an attractive engine but doesn't fit in with my Scottish and S&DJR interests. (Quickly, would somebody whisper "It doesn't really matter")

Jim

• RMweb Gold

That’s a nice big load of (pleasant) surprises!

But for me the real interesting addition to the range is the proposed :-
Railmaster Loco Detection System”.

This could open up the whole “Layout Automation” thing to the masses!
Let’s hope!

But I really would like more details first.
Depending on what their system uses (reflective strips/magnets/Active IR/???) you could even use bits of their system and incorporate it into your own “home brewed” system.

:) :)
Kev.

were the corridor versions only in mk2d then?

What I have from my (brief) investigation at therailwaycentre.com (bracketed values indicate variants)

MK2

BFK, BSO, FK, SO, TSO

MK2a

BFK, BSO, FK, TSO

MK2b

BFK, FK, TSO

MK2c

BFK, BSO, FK, FO (SO), TSO(T)

MK2d

BFK, BSO, FO, FK, TSO(T)

MK2e

BSO, FO, TSO

MK2f

(D)BSO, FO (SO), TSO

So, yup :)

That's somewhat over the top describing them as a " waste of materials and manufacturing capacity" & "existing pups"

People like Jim S-W have made some really nice models using the Lima 87 & Hornby 86 as a base.

Yes, but ignoring the custom etches that Jim does, you still need a Lima 87, Hornby 90 bogies, and a Bachmann Warship chassis which are available secondhand (plus detailing bits, paint and transfers). That really isn't the way the hobby works anymore and harks back to the late 1990's when Hornby produced no new locos for 3 years, you can do a lot with £20 locos from swapmeets but the final cost is more than the better locos that have come since and which have been well supported.

As a modeller of the Swanage Railway I am pleased to see the introduction of the 700 as this fills the last remaining gap in ready to run motive power. The 700 class was used on the daily goods from Hamworthy, the clay train and for shunting passenger coaches. It can be produced in a variety of liveries from LSWR to BR. As it is a simple locomotive to build I wonder if Hornby could consider making it in England to save the long waits for Chinese models. Several years ago I bought a ready to run 00 Works model made in England. It cost a bit more but it was money well spent. You can also buy an excellent n gauge one made in the Isle of Mann for about £70.

I am pleased Hornby are producing some high specification BR SR Mk1s. They will probably be in the correct livery and will give Bachmann a run for their money. Manston will be useful for anyone modelling the preserved Swanage Railway.

Surprisingly I will be buying the Railroad Golden Shuttle. There was picture of this on page 1041 of Arthur Mees' encyclopaedia which I have had for the last 50 years. Virtually every other A4 has been made including Golden Shuttle in LNER black but I am delighted to see that I don't have to wait much longer for this model. I will be interested to see how it compares with my Wrenn Sir Nigel Gresley that I bought for about the same price.

I will also be buying the 2HAL. I don't think I will get away with running it on my model of the Swanage Railway so perhaps I will have to build a new layout to run it with my Wrenn Brighton Belle, my Tri-ang 4 Sub and my Hornby 2 BIL.

I am pleased that Hornby will be making another Maunsell Pull-Push set. If it ever arrives it will be like waiting for a bus. One full one goes past after six months and then three will arrive hopefully two years after the first was announced. It is like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey. I am glad I made a BSL kit.

Best wishes

Robin Brasher

Archived