2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

Lets hope not 47708! Limas air cons were 2f's and a few mill to short they kept the same length from their 2b's air con mark two from d's onwards were longer!

Mk 2E are exciting.  Could they be flush glazed versions of the old Lima air cons?  Not sure which version of Intercity they will be. I think Intercity in italics came along in 87 when the HST s began to appear in Intercity Swallow. It s called Intercity post 1986 on the web.

!

Well done Hornby.

Well done Hornby for resisting the siren calls for more pacifics so we are spared, at least for the present, A2/3s and original Merchant Navies. Instead we have the charms of pre-grouping 0-6-0s and a 4-4-0 - much more appropriate for most of our layouts, as opposed to our display cases! Bachmann hardly need the stimulus of a bit of direct completion but it looks like Hornby are going to provide some in 2014. The 2015 Model of the year awards could be a lot more closely fought than in recent years!

Hornby have resisted doing the preserved versions of the K1 and the J15 which is a shame. It would also appear from the Hornby Website that they are producing Rood Ashton Hall in BR Livery with a 4,000 gall tender rather that GWR Livery with a 3,5000 Gallon Tender as preserved at Tyseley, another missed opportunity I feel.

However it really is about time that Hornby revamped the Terrier. They keep on churning them out, so they must sell. However many of them are incorrect with sandboxes in the wrong place and the wrong bunkers.

The LMS famine continues - the last completely new LMS Locos from Hornby were the rebuilt Scot/ Patriot and the Stanier 2-6-4T in 2007! Thanks goodness Bachmann have not abandoned us yet! However the Skaledale models of Butterley Station are very welcome. I trust a cheque will be winging its way to The Midland Railway Centre in due course. It might help to restore some of those rotting wooden coaches that provide the subject for one of the models!

I am surprised that the 2P and the 4F have not made it into the Railroad Range.

So hopefully a great year for Hornby in prospect even if there is not much there for me. A NRM Caerphilly Castle to go with Lode Star perhaps, hoping that it has no molded handrails and the right number of spokes for the bogie wheels, and of course the models I am still waiting for from 2013.

Many thanks for all your efforts Andy, much easier to access than Hornby's presentation!

• RMweb Premium

R3272 - DB Schenker Class 67, “Diamond Jubilee”
One of two in Royal Claret rostered when needed to pull the Royal Train.
DCC Ready. 5 pole skew wound , twin motor drive. Operating lights. Day and night lighting. Etched metal parts. Engine detail. Cab detail. Scale speed. Pick ups on all wheels.
RRP £139.99 (Estimate. TBC)

Some confusion here methinks.....

"Diamond Jubilee" is the silver 67026 with Union Flag. (This was the Ltd Ed that has been fetching silly prices on Ebay) The Royal claret 67's are 67006 "Royal Sovereign" and 67005 "Queens' Messenger".

Edit: I think it's 67006 that Hornby are doing.

No-one has yet mentioned the yellow 08417 - I knew that purchasing the transfers (and Serco liveried 08417) last month was a bad omen..................

At least I didn't set to on an Arriva Wales Mk3 set................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I could not find these listed, which crests are on each one?

It doesn't say. Information from Pat Hammond on MREmag  R3294 and R3295 if that helps. It might be on main Hornby website. It does say through concessions only, so I assume thats Hawkins Bazaar abd  the Modelzones popping up in WH smith

Looking at the model of Terrier "Sutton" it looks like they've got the wrong bunker on it along with a toolbox on the back which I'm pretty sure it never carried and the model of Manston has red backed nameplates which again I'm fairly certain it only carried blue coloured plates (happy to be proved wrong though  :yes:) . Sorry I know it's all "rivet counting" but if Hornby are going to charge high prices for these models they could at least get the details right.

You are right, David. Terriers (in SR days onwards) mainly fall into three groups: 1. Terriers rebuilt to A1X By the LB&SCR. They lost their sandboxes combined with the splasher but retained short bunker with toolbox; 2. A1X transferred to the Isle of Wight by SR - as 1. but bunker lengthened; 3. Terriers sold out of service by the LB&SCR & ending up on the IoW. Rebuilt subsequently to A1X. Long bunker but retaining sandbox combined with splasher. Unfortunately Hornby's (ex Dapol) Terrier does not fit any of these configurations having sandbox combined with the splasher and short bunker! The only loco close to this arrangement is K&ESR No. 3 / 32670, the only loco that doesn't fit into the foregoing three patterns. This does have splasher/sandboxes and a short bunker. But in this case the bunker was heightened so it still doesn't quite match Hornby's model! Personally I'd love to see an upgraded Terrier.

Chris45lsw

Right I've decided ill have both 56's both 60's a DCR 31 proberly a midland mainline hst set and the dutchess of Sutherland please oh oh oh and the yellow 08

Edit you beat me to it mick about the yellow 08 must've been typing at the same time

Yes, but ignoring the custom etches that Jim does, you still need a Lima 87, Hornby 90 bogies, and a Bachmann Warship chassis which are available secondhand (plus detailing bits, paint and transfers). That really isn't the way the hobby works anymore and harks back to the late 1990's when Hornby produced no new locos for 3 years, you can do a lot with £20 locos from swapmeets but the final cost is more than the better locos that have come since and which have been well supported.

Hmm.  Is this a Michael and LaToyah Jackson type set up - its like 298 is Jim-S-W and Jim-S-W is 298 !   :)

Anyways.....be thankful no more ACs have been "dragged thru edge back ards" this year (remember the ill fated 87019 ACORPs lined black from last year?).  I'd rather have a time out with AC locos and see something all new in the coming years.

In fact I dont think Hornby list any ACs at all on their website.  Not that I saw from a brief visit.

• RMweb Gold

I need a de-Crosti 9F 

Best bet for that would be to pick up a cooking RR 9F and then a Golden Arrow resin body, it has all the blower tunnel etc ready fitted and would help Chris with some welcome income stream now that Hornby have taken another of his range ;) Remember the new Hornby Crosti will have different valve gear arrangements to the later rebuilt versions.

Firstly, congratulations to Hornby for some brave choices, in particular their releases are encouraging people to move towards LNER modelling as there becomes a relative abundance of prototypes availible. However, I think the most interesting release is the Midland Mainline HST, the late 1990s are finally getting a look in and if Hornby back this up with a Great Western HST next year they'll have my money!

There are few releases in this batch that I genuinely want as  BR(WR) modeller but I am sorely tempted by a Crosti, I've always loved their bizarre "look". I wish them all the best and hopefully this year Hornby will be able to sort out all of its problems and return to profit... they've made a good start.

p.s. thanks Andy for all your hard work, at least you don't have to do it on Christmas eve now ;)

Looks very promising and nice to see it's not just at the CAD stage.

There is one slight problem with the announcement, though. 30345 wasn't a 700 but a K10 4-4-0 withdrawn in 1949 (probably without being renumbered).

30346 was a 700 and a long-term resident of Guildford so I'm guessing it's just a typo.

John

Yes presumably a typo on Hornby's part & 30346 is intended? (Yes K10 30345 was never renumbered). If one is fussy note that the 700s were built with 13ft wheel base tenders but many received 14ft wb in tender swaps from 1925. Hornby's existing tender is 13ft wb and 30346 and 30694 correctly had such tenders. SR 325, however, lost its 13ft for a 14ft in 1925/26. 326 would be a better choice as it retained the 13ft version.

Chris45lsw

You are right, David. Terriers (in SR days onwards) mainly fall into three groups: 1. Terriers rebuilt to A1X By the LB&SCR. They lost their sandboxes combined with the splasher but retained short bunker with toolbox; 2. A1X transferred to the Isle of Wight by SR - as 1. but bunker lengthened; 3. Terriers sold out of service by the LB&SCR & ending up on the IoW. Rebuilt subsequently to A1X. Long bunker but retaining sandbox combined with splasher. Unfortunately Hornby's (ex Dapol) Terrier does not fit any of these configurations having sandbox combined with the splasher and short bunker! The only loco close to this arrangement is K&ESR No. 3 / 32670, the only loco that doesn't fit into the foregoing three patterns. This does have splasher/sandboxes and a short bunker. But in this case the bunker was heightened so it still doesn't quite match Hornby's model! Personally I'd love to see an upgraded Terrier.

Chris45lsw

Yes completely agree, we're all aware of Hornby's financial problems but they do really need to get a new tooling done of the Terrier class. Below is a video review I did a while back on the Hornby Terrier 32670 which shows how badly the details are wrong on this particular model. If Hornby are going to keep re-releasing them then fine but they need to sort out a new tooling for the Terrier.

The 2Hal is an answer to many prayers, what shall I do with my Branchlines / Kirk unbuilt ones now!? The 2Hal is probably the only new thing I actually need, but the Black Motor is nice, I now have to figure out how to get one to work on to the Eastern Section, same with the Crosti 2-10-0, where both were officially banned.

I now need to see if the new green and crimson/cream Mark 1s are worth getting to replace my old Lima and Triang/Hornby ones.

Although they don't interest me the K1, J15 and B16/3 must be pleasing quite a lot of people. Nice to see Hornby taking a leaf out of Bachmann's book and targeting a group or region with multiple new models.

It is also good to see that full sets of trailers in appropriate livery are being made concurrently with the HST power cars.

A good one, well done Hornby.

Hmm.  Is this a Michael and LaToyah Jackson type set up - its like 298 is Jim-S-W and Jim-S-W is 298 !   :)

LOL...! I'll tell him that. (although I only ever finished one proper 87, and it is still OO gauge and fitted with a pair of ringfield bogies. The Bachmann 85 was the final nail in the coffin of my AC fleet, and I disposed of a lot of unfinished projects earlier this year).

Anyways.....be thankful no more ACs have been "dragged thru edge back ards" this year (remember the ill fated 87019 ACORPs lined black from last year?).  I'd rather have a time out with AC locos and see something all new in the coming years.

In fact I dont think Hornby list any ACs at all on their website.  Not that I saw from a brief visit.

AC's can sell, as long as they are quality models- don't confuse the bargain prices a desperate retailer was asking for about 12 months ago as a sign that they aren't selling well.

I must admit the only thing that would resurrect my interest would be the 87's in a multitude of Bulgarian liveries- unfortunately they'd have to be 1:87 or 1:160 tho...

Really pleased about the Black Motor but just hope it isn't a "design clever" model and at least one of the BR versions comes out weathered. I would hazard a guess this might be Hornby's answer to Bachmann's success with the C classes. Love the idea of releasing a Crosti 9F but why oh why does it have to be in the railroad range :angry:  and it needs to be weathered as well.

Probably production considerations .The RR 9f is a good model and making it top notch would take time and money thats reserved for other models this year.They can always update and improve as they have the basic model  out there earning money .Thats my take .

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to Hornby on an ambitious and varied programme, I hope SK has a smile on his face today. Some superb models in prospect, I always think when people write 'Nothing for me', Why? I model GWR/BR but I would not let that get in the way of me buying a Crosti 9F, a 700, some of the wagons and a J15 and run them all as visitors.

Hopefully Hornby can begin to put some of their problems behind them now, having them back in strength will be great, and good to see they are placing etched darts on the heavy tanks and being innovative with their sound and detection systems, and loksound sound decoders in some sound fitted locos, and I have seen 'scale speed' mentioned on a couple of locos, it will be interesting to see what that is..gearing?

Certainly a lot to ruminate on there, and having read all the posting they appear to be 99% positive and relieved that Hornby will soon ( hopefully) be right up at the top again.

Archived