2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

What a list from Hornby, fair play to them, the J15 as you can already see from the replies is going to be a popular model, the K1 will go down very well too, but for me the interest is in the Class 700, i can just about get away with running one on my proposed layout, so one of this will be purchased, so not too much worry for the old wallet!

all the best

Matt :)

A K1  YES, YES, YES  :acute: 

For me personally also very nice to see a good range of LNER/BR stock, I think Hornby have come up with a good selection of new models for all regions. Lets keep fingers crossed they can deliver.

Still can't get my head round the Great Gathering why, oh why another limited edition leaving so many customers disappointed at not been able to get them. I'm sure if they'd released them as a normal stock item they would sell thousands. Sorry Hornby another boat missed!

Ian H 

But AC electrics - even good ones - don't sell - ask Bachmann. Similarly with coach numbers in EMUs - extra coaches push the unit prices beyond what are considered to be 'acceptable' levels.

Can there really be less of a market for modern AC locos than some of the other classes that have been made?

Heljan with their Sarah Siddons Met Bo-Bo, Classes 15 and 16? With all the livery combinations for Classes 86, 87 and 90 and decades of use up and down the WCML spine of the country and latter ECML and Anglian electrification projects. With a good model at the right price there has to be a market.

I certainly echo Silverlink's sentiments above about the K1......very welcome indeed.

I wish Hornby good luck, and hope that they can deliver, in quantity, what they are proposing.......seems an extremely ambitious programme to me when combined with the unfinished 2013 programme.

• RMweb Gold

Another tack of course, may be that Southern modellers are going to be told 'you keep asking for SR models, but don't buy them when we offer them to you'. At that price, I'm one who's not going to.

I don't think that's been the case in the past given how quickly BR green Maunsells disappear (contrast the continuing obtainability of almost the full range of Hawksworths).

I haven't noticed too many discontinued Bulleid Pacifics or King Arthurs clogging up the model trade either.

BR Mk1s are problematic whatever livery they are produced in - most established enthusiasts probably have all they need/want already from other sources.

Mine are Bachmann ones and I can tolerate the (earlier) green ones being rather too light a shade and I won't be replacing them. I don't go in for running models in the dark if I can avoid it so lights (other than Pullman table lamps) aren't a selling point for me.

Incidentally, wasn't the coach roundel on SR green Mk1s confined to coaches in the Royal Wessex sets until they were disbanded?

Most of the cash Hornby has had from me over the past two or three years has purchased coaches or NPCS; it'll be nice to buy some locos instead!

John

• RMweb Premium

Can there really be less of a market for modern AC locos than some of the other classes that have been made?

Heljan with their Sarah Siddons Met Bo-Bo, Classes 15 and 16? With all the livery combinations for Classes 86, 87 and 90 and decades of use up and down the WCML spine of the country and latter ECML and Anglian electrification projects. With a good model at the right price there has to be a market.

That might be the point though, maybe there is a market, but a limited one, making 86/87/90 more Heljan territory than mainstream Hornby.    Having said that I wouldn't call a black motor exactly mainstream!

If you look at post 16 of the now locked 2014 Hornby Speculation Thread you will see that I put-:

So that means they could still announce some new 'air cons' even though the 'other manufacturer' has got there first!

I made this comment with a certain amount of jest, never did I realise it was going to turn out to be correct!

Model Rail have now confirmed to me on their Facebook page that Hornby already had their new air-cons under development before Bachmann pipped them at the post.

A quick change from Mk2f to Mk2e though.

• RMweb Gold

After all fuss has now died down, I'm thriiiiled about the 2HAL. I'm trying not to think about all those Kirk 2BIL kits and the 2HAL kits and bits languishing on the shelf...........

There's definitely an eastern orientated temptation...I already have a nice Y6 brass kit to build.

Now as for that magnificent Crosti ..I am lost in joy and trying not to look at the shelf again....!

The 700 is another lovely thing. Am I correct in assuming that they used the same boilers as the T9s so I guess that this could be seen as a logical progression (apologies if this has already been said in this long thread)?

All in all a good day for me, and thanks to Andy for the work in putting up that huge list.

I would take issue with you dear Captain but I wouldn't want to fall out...... :biggrin_mini:  :P

Nice short name on the TLF Coal 60 as well  - great for those who like to rename/renumber. I guess a few lads out there will be having more than one of these?  Delighted to see this livery at last.

Just new 86's, 87's and 90's next year, and all my prayers will be answered!  Wishful thinking I know, but we always live in hope!

Thanks for the good work Andy. 

As I am in the very early planning stages of a potential successor to 'Kinmundy', a freight only branch in County Durham, the Hornby announcement of a K1 literally could not have come at a better time! :imsohappy:  :imsohappy:

To paraphrase Alan Partridge-BACK OF THE NET! :danced:

might even have two........ :derisive: 

Having previously nailed my NER colours to the mast, I will be pleased to receive a K1 with open arms. Unfortunately, I am also developing a liking for all things ex-GER so the J15 and D16/3 will surely follow but I hope they are not all released at the same time as SWMBO may have something to say about it! I also hope there will be no repeat of the B17 delays, fingers crossed.

I note one reporter wanting a bigger loft. My solution is to move the "prototype" location of my layout a bit further south so making it more plausible for ex-NER and Ex-GER types to be seen together, along with ex-GNR types like the J50 and N2, but this will be a difficult exercise I know. Another idea I have been kicking around is to have two sets of infrastructure (signal boxes and other "signature" structures) and having separate running sessions once such infrastructure has been swapped over.

Regards,

Ok, I have tried to be positive, but the total lack of anything substantive for either LMS or GWR is somewhat surprising. However I am cheered by the apparent move away from big pacifics and towards workhorses, perhaps the LMS modellers and my fellow fans of Swindon, can look forward to more interesting prototypes in future.

I do wonder if we are ever going to get any new non-corrifor stock. The Gresley stock raised expectations that this was something Hornby was going to follow up for the other regions. Only mildly dashed when we got the Thompsons and now another year with no new non-corridor stick for the GWR (or LMS). I'd better dig out all those phoenix kits I've bought off Ebay ad start building.

Oh well there's always next year.

My comment about AC electrics not selling and 4-car units being considered too expensive was not personal opinion. It is what I have been told time and again by both Bachmann and Hornby. Manufacturers work on precedent - if A sold well, then so will B, if Y didn't sell, then neither will Z. Occasionally, as with the Blue Pullman, their caution proves unfounded although I venture that the BP has now had its day. The people who have to say yes or no to a particular choice may know very little about specific prototypes and will base their decision on these precedents. If you are investing a six-figure sum in tooling a new model, do you choose something that's pretty much a dead cert, or do you choose the rank outsider? My understanding of the current AC loco fleet is that sales of none of the available models have set the world alight and judging from the discounting on the 4CEP unit at present, the sales peak for that 4-car unit seems to have passed, while 2-car units from both manufacturers are evidently seen to offer lots of potential.

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm still of the opinion that if there was a decent "easy to assemble / ready to use" British overhead catenary readily available, then AC locos and EMU's would sell.  Still hoping Dapol will continue with their plans for this.

If Classes 86 and 90 are not popular, how come Hornby have been releasing their old moulding locos with different liveries over all the years? Market research must have told them there was demand otherwise they would have abandoned theses locos years ago. After all, 86's and 90's were seen over a much wider geographical area than the SR EMU's. 

...........................   and judging from the discounting on the 4CEP unit at present, the sales peak for that 4-car unit seems to have passed   ..............

But the 4-VEP was awful  -  so why would a manufacturer think that an awful model should sell well ?

The real test will be when ( if ? ) the revised 4-VEP is released.

I am not a Hornby basher but…  The WWI troop train pack has GWR coaches in chocolate and cream.  GWR coaches went all-over brown from 1908, and then crimson lake from 1912-22 when the original livery was restored.  Until war broke out the railway was very quick at repainting and maintaining its corporate image, and so please don't issue the coaches in that livery!

I am very far from being a Hornby Basher having been originally a Triang child then a Triang/Hornby youth and a Hornby adult modeller and I would love to buy this set if as has been pointed out by exet1095 the coaches otherwise excellent representations were in a likely livery.

Most I suspect would have been in Crimson Lake by the War although a few may have still been all over Brown,but Chocolate and Cream,errr come on Hornby you are better than this much,much better !

My comment about AC electrics not selling and 4-car units being considered too expensive was not personal opinion. It is what I have been told time and again by both Bachmann and Hornby. Manufacturers work on precedent - if A sold well, then so will B, if Y didn't sell, then neither will Z. Occasionally, as with the Blue Pullman, their caution proves unfounded although I venture that the BP has now had its day. The people who have to say yes or no to a particular choice may know very little about specific prototypes and will base their decision on these precedents. If you are investing a six-figure sum in tooling a new model, do you choose something that's pretty much a dead cert, or do you choose the rank outsider? My understanding of the current AC loco fleet is that sales of none of the available models have set the world alight and judging from the discounting on the 4CEP unit at present, the sales peak for that 4-car unit seems to have passed, while 2-car units from both manufacturers are evidently seen to offer lots of potential.

CHRIS LEIGH

I don't doubt your sources, Chris, but I can't help but agree with GordonC. I find it staggering and inexplicable that the Sarah Siddons Met Bo-Bo (for example) is considered likely to be a better seller than a new 87 or 90, especially taking into account all the possible livery variations as Gordon says. I have already bought a couple of Heljan 86s, a Bachmann 85 and a couple of Hornby InterCity Mk 3 DVTs even though I have no intention of putting up catenary. I intend to run them just for fun, like many modellers I suspect. Are there really not enough modellers out there without catenary who would do the same? Are people happier to ignore the lack of a third rail than the absence of catenary?

Personal preferences aside for a moment my observation is that I feel Hornby have realised that Bachmann have stolen the lead on them by producing the work horses and are now fighting back.

But what a set of releases for ER modellers. I'm not sure I can recall a year before where one region was so strongly favoured over all the others.

I hope in time we see some of these models back-dated and in their pre-grouping form.

Now personal preferences to the fore:

I agree that the Terrier desperately needs updating. 

Archived