2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

OHLE is on the increase again, GWML to be wired as well as many other bits of the country. Loads of new EMUs on the way also over the next 20 years as well as Desiro family types. The call for an easy to use system has to be happening soon....

But that won't change anything for the modellers who want classes 81 to 87.

Once again, most (if not all) stock will be line-specific and it's likely that it will feature new OHLE equipment that differs from what's in place at present.

John

Yes the roundels were confined to the Royal Wessex stock. Some of the green coaches on the Swanage Railway have also got roundels so you can use them on a preserved railway. I wonder if Hornby are charging a premium on the green Mk1 coaches because it thinks that Mk1 green coaches don't sell based on Bachmann's track record of trying to sell coaches in the wrong livery. Another explanation may be that Hornby are likely to have a monopoly of BR SR Mk1 green coaches in the correct livery so they can charge what they like. The maroon and chocolate and cream coaches are competing with good models made by Bachmann so the price needs to be lower.

In Tri-ang days the Mk1 green coaches were cheaper than the crimson and cream and chocolate and cream coaches because they were easier to paint. I don't think Tri-ang sold as many green Mk1 coaches as in other liveries because of the green coaches limited geographical location.  

Don't forget that Bachmann have various N gauge ACs in their range and not just the 85.

Andi

Yes, but they are pretty old toolings and could themselves do with updating, so it wouldn't be worth scaling them up to OO. The Farish 90 doesn't look great; the 87 is a bit better (and mine is a good runner), but it's still a fairly old, basic model and doesn't compare well with newer toolings from Farish and Dapol.

• RMweb Premium

I am not a Hornby basher but…  The WWI troop train pack has GWR coaches in chocolate and cream.  GWR coaches went all-over brown from 1908, and then crimson lake from 1912-22 when the original livery was restored.  Until war broke out the railway was very quick at repainting and maintaining its corporate image, and so please don't issue the coaches in that livery!

Or you can add the lining yourself to make the Star 1922 and after? If you did that, then the coaches would be appropriate.

Hornby has to be applauded. 

A very nice range of new items. It also seems they are listening to feedback in regards to their new manufacturing processes. And also they are wanting to us to have more play value for our money. We have never had it so good!

Being a WCML enthusiast I have indeed noticed the nice N gauge AC locos on offer, and would have probably changed scales by now - it's just those massive couplings always put me right off!

Still no modern-standard 87 or 90 (Dapol have only done the 86).

Less obtrusive couplings are available - most Dapol locos also come with two different lengths of buckeye-type couplings.

Another thought - we must applaud both Hornby and Bachmann for introducing Mk2e and Mk2f coaches - long awaited.

Just checked my Platform 5 Coaching Stock Pocket Book from 1991 and most of these coaches were allocated to Intercity WCML, X Country, and Anglia.

So I think we really do need some nice new AC Locos to haul these new coaches as most of their mileage was done "under the wires" !!!!

Did anyone else notice that the pic on the front of the Gloucester train pack is a Britannia numbered 71000 with red Duke of Gloucester nameplates? Not reading anything into that....it's just a bit odd!

I'm certainly interested in the 1960 DoG - which will save me the job of backdating the present day one, which I've already ordered and will have to sell! And it will save me from failing to match the paint job on the BR1J tender that I would have to build. The Crosti 9F body looks really good from the pictures - cab and front spectacles are a giveaway that it's an all new body, and ripe for further detailing. The valve gear and motion bracket look a lot better than on the standard Hornby 9F too, though the lack of chassis detail does lose ground. Having just accumulated the necessary bits to do a rebuilt Crosti on a Bachmann donor to replace my GA one, I guess it was predictable that one of B or H would announce one. I don't need one.... I just like them. Not sure about the late crest version though - not many of the originals got the new crest before being rebuilt. The new maroon 46236 may find its way onto 1B as well.

Aside from that, it looks as if there is a good deal to interest a lot of people, but clearly not everyone will be ecstatic.

Iain

A really brave and ambitious move from Hornby. After last year's relatively conservative programme, this really turns the tables. J15, Claud and CCT might even tempt me back to the Far East but the AC stock is the most welcome news. After the dismal performance in getting this year's modest plans into the shops as finished goods, I just hope Hornby can deliver all this on the back of the outstanding items from 2013.

But that won't change anything for the modellers who want classes 81 to 87.

Once again, most (if not all) stock will be line-specific and it's likely that it will feature new OHLE equipment that differs from what's in place at present.

John

A general improvement along the size of anything would be good as 86s and 90s are still in daily service. 87s are not but will sit along side 86s and 90s. The 85 as said a few times was an odd but certainly welcome choice for me personally but has not helped the AC RTR scene really other than give us something for those modelling up to 1991 or collectors. There are only 2 liveries really for an 85 whilst an 87 could have 10 different variations. I have read somewhere that the amount of liveries a type of loco has can contribute to its viability as a model. With 86s and 90s I dont dare count how many livieries there are but it must top 15 variants for each class.

I understand Hornbys core business and how it must serve it but even those wanting more basic train set type stuff will be expecting standards to be raised what with DCC lights and sound etc.

Not wishing to labour the point but certainly a few people on here seem to be of a similar opinion so lets hope Hornby and Bachmann for that matter are reading and also perhaps Heljan and Dapol whilst namedropping.

I do welcome the Mk 2 stock so dont wish to sound negative as I am happy to wield my Drills/Knives and detailing parts until then....!

Some very good things on their way. Will they be ready for Christmas 2016 ? :mosking:

Given the amount of stuff outstanding from 2013, 2012, 201..... then probably not. Puzzled over the fourth version of BR(SR) push pulls when the second and third versions have yet to appear, so if they all turn it no doubt many will end up being flogged off cheap due to surplus stocks of them. In fact does anyone have a list of what has not been produced and is still to be produced as oppossed to being cancelled. Last years list of postponements to 2014 was inaccurate as a number did turn up!

So the tooling for ACs does pay off.

Interested to know how the manufacturers can predict ACs will sell badly when Bachmann have only one super detailed example of a loco not in service any longer and nothing else.

Bachmann Farish are on record as saying ACs sell badly (and yet there's new liveries produced each and every year, so perhaps more a case of doesn't sell as well as the better selling items...).

Bachmann then produced the 85 in 00...

Which appears to have sold not so badly after all (one livery going to an A reissue in the second year joined by a more representative livery variant than the one marked poor seller).

So, hmm. I suspect Hornby are sitting on making money from the old rope rather than taking a risk.

Guest Belgian

The 700 is another lovely thing. Am I correct in assuming that they used the same boilers as the T9s so I guess that this could be seen as a logical progression (apologies if this has already been said in this long thread)?

Not quite. Drummond used a one foot-longer firebox for the T9s. But strictly speaking you are right: the boiler was the same length and diameter (internally it was different though . . .)

JE

Archived