2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

Since the coaches have been marketed with coach crests and are likely to appear in the 2014 catalogue with coach crests people who have pre-ordered the coaches will be disappointed if they find the coaches do not have any crests.

Poor sods. I think we need RMweb for railway modellers and an BOweb for box openers.... :sarcastic:

• RMweb Premium

Well I bought some Chocolate and Cream Railroad Mk1s before Christmas as a trial to see how they ran. I have to say I'm really impressed at £15.50 these are a steal. I like the fine windows on them which in my view are superior to the Bachmann ones . I've now started adding maroon Mk1s to supplement my Bachmann ones. They are great and run together fine with Bachmann. I find they are less likely to derail and uncouple accidentally. Although considerably lighter it does not appear to affect running. I was going to put some coaching roundels on them, but actually I rather like them as they are.

So unusually for me, to Hornby its a resounding well done!  More like this please. I note that the BSKs are getting hard to come by so it looks like others are similarly impressed. Only sour note is that my local model shop advised buying now as his next batch he will need to put price up by £2. Tempted to get some more Cks and SKs to replace some of my heavier Bachmann coaches.

The forthcoming green ones will hold their own with Bachmann for sure, although I'm puzzled that Hornby see the need to add lighting.  Some Blue and Grey to Railroad spec would be very nice for 2015

Now if they could only make some Staniers to same spec...............

Hornby's BR SR coach green seems to the right colour as is shown by a picture of their brake van C against the Swanage Railway Birds Nest Buffet Car. If Hornby uses the same shade for the new BR SR Mk1 coaches they should sell well.

Master of the bold statement and wish-fulfilment. :no:

Well I bought some Chocolate and Cream Railroad Mk1s before Christmas as a trial to see how they ran. I have to say I'm really impressed at £15.50 these are a steal. I like the fine windows on them which in my view are superior to the Bachmann ones . I've now started adding maroon Mk1s to supplement my Bachmann ones. They are great and run together fine with Bachmann. I find they are less likely to derail and uncouple accidentally. Although considerably lighter it does not appear to affect running. I was going to put some coaching roundels on them, but actually I rather like them as they are.

So unusually for me, to Hornby its a resounding well done!  More like this please. I note that the BSKs are getting hard to come by so it looks like others are similarly impressed. Only sour note is that my local model shop advised buying now as his next batch he will need to put price up by £2. Tempted to get some more Cks and SKs to replace some of my heavier Bachmann coaches.

The forthcoming green ones will hold their own with Bachmann for sure, although I'm puzzled that Hornby see the need to add lighting.  Some Blue and Grey to Railroad spec would be very nice for 2015

Now if they could only make some Staniers to same spec...............

The Hornby MK1 green coaches with crests with lights will look strange coupled to an M7 with a pull-push set without lights. It would seem more sensible to give people the option of having MK1 green coaches without lights and without the coach crests.

I think that the Hornby Staniers are very good. The prototypes did run on the Swanage Railway which I am modelling so I have bought some although most of mine are Mainline ones which at £5.95 per coach were a lot cheaper. Britain's Model Trains 2013 awarded Hornby's Stanier coaches 88% compared with 68% for Bachmann's LMS coaches. I thought that the Bachmann LMS coaches were excellent when Mainline first produced them.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the images of the green MK1s on the Hornby website, the coaches are to be numbered as follows:

BSK - 34239 (R4609)

SK - 24305 (R4608)

CK - 15027 (R4607)

BSK2 - 34239 (R4609A) so the same image has been used.

Assuming R4609A will carry a different number, logic would suggest it will be 34240, which four coaches together make up standard 4-car set number 869. This is a really good choice as it operated, according to the semgonline website, as a South Eastern Division 4-car set until 1963 when it moved to the South Western Division as a 3-car set without the SK. Include the coach set number on the ends and it's correct for both a 3-car and 4-car set.

From Hornby Facebook page

background1.jpg
2014 Estimated Product Arrivals
Before the end of February
R4540 - EAST COAST COACH
R4542 - EAST COAST BUFFET COACH
R3133 - EAST COAST TRAIN PACK
R3131 - A4 GREAT SNIPE
R4534A - PULL N PUSH
R4534B - PULL N PUSH
R4536B - BR BOGIE PASSENGER BRAKE VAN
R6592 - 4 PLANK WAGON FLEETWOOD
R6586 - 21 TON WAGON
R3001 - SPECIAL CLASS 91 MODEL RAIL
R6613 - 20 TON BRAKE VAN #1
R6614 - 20 TON BRAKE VAN #2
Mid-March
R6597 - 5 PLANK WAGON HOPTON WOOD
R6579 - 4 PLANK WAGON NEWMARKET
R6581 - 4 PLANK WAGON MORECOMBE ELECTRICITY

From Hornby Facebook page

background1.jpg
2014 Estimated Product Arrivals
Before the end of February
R4540 - EAST COAST COACH
R4542 - EAST COAST BUFFET COACH
R3133 - EAST COAST TRAIN PACK
R3131 - A4 GREAT SNIPE
R4534A - PULL N PUSH
R4534B - PULL N PUSH
R4536B - BR BOGIE PASSENGER BRAKE VAN
R6592 - 4 PLANK WAGON FLEETWOOD
R6586 - 21 TON WAGON
R3001 - SPECIAL CLASS 91 MODEL RAIL
R6613 - 20 TON BRAKE VAN #1
R6614 - 20 TON BRAKE VAN #2
Mid-March
R6597 - 5 PLANK WAGON HOPTON WOOD
R6579 - 4 PLANK WAGON NEWMARKET
R6581 - 4 PLANK WAGON MORECOMBE ELECTRICITY

The estimated delivery date for the R4534A Pull-Push has been pushed back so many times since September 2012 that I don't take much notice of the delivery date now.

post-17621-0-02583600-1390506081_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The estimated delivery date for the R4534A Pull-Push has been pushed back so many times since September 2012 that I don't take much notice of the delivery date now.

Have you got one pre-ordered, this time, or are you taking pot-luck again?

Just a thought...............

Now that Hornby have announced the Mk2e coaches (were going to be Mk2f but Bachmann got there first) are they going to still continue with the R4563 Blue Grey Mk2d BSO and the R4463B and R4463C INTER CITY ('Swallow') Mk2d TSO's?

As these are still listed on the Hattons forthcoming releases section as of tonight.

One would think the production slots for these would be better used for something else.

Ditto the add on 'Northern Belle' coach pack.

Haven't got the 2014 catalogue yet so unfortunately I do not know if the above are shown in it.

Have you got one pre-ordered, this time, or are you taking pot-luck again?

I pre-ordered R4534A BR Pull-Push set from Rails of Sheffield on 9 July 2012 and R4534B from Hattons on 15 Sep 2013. When the first Pull-Push set came out I did not anticipate a problem as my local model shop on a preserved railway was full of Hornby coaches like the Pullmans and Devon Belle and locomotives like the M7 and the 4-VEP which it had been unable to sell and some are still on the shelves now. I was not aware that Hornby had a supply problem. I had intended to buy one from the local shop as soon as they came out but Hornby did not deliver there and by that time they had sold out everywhere. Hornby did make a second batch for some local shops, including one at nearby Lychett Minster, but I had already ordered R4534A from Rails and was expecting it in a few weeks time. The preserved railway shop had some train packs with the M7 and pull-push coaches but I have already got about 10 M7s and did not want another one. These sets sold out by November. If I had realised the delay would be over 1 year 4 months I would have bought one.

• RMweb Gold

I pre-ordered R4534A BR Pull-Push set from Rails of Sheffield on 9 July 2012 and R4534B from Hattons on 15 Sep 2013. When the first Pull-Push set came out I did not anticipate a problem as my local model shop on a preserved railway was full of Hornby coaches like the Pullmans and Devon Belle and locomotives like the M7 and the 4-VEP which it had been unable to sell and some are still on the shelves now. I was not aware that Hornby had a supply problem. I had intended to buy one from the local shop as soon as they came out but Hornby did not deliver there and by that time they had sold out everywhere. Hornby did make a second batch for some local shops, including one at nearby Lychett Minster, but I had already ordered R4534A from Rails and was expecting it in a few weeks time. The preserved railway shop had some train packs with the M7 and pull-push coaches but I have already got about 10 M7s and did not want another one. These sets sold out by November. If I had realised the delay would be over 1 year 4 months I would have bought one.

Ah. Belt and braces this time. Can't say I blame you.

My local shop also got fewer than they wanted of the first lot and I think I only got mine because I was one of the first to put in pre-orders.  :yes:

John

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought...............

Now that Hornby have announced the Mk2e coaches (were going to be Mk2f but Bachmann got there first)

Are you sure? Today's MREMag has some first shots of the Hornby Mk2e coaches taken at the London Toy Fair, which means they are further ahead in the production cycle than Bachmann's Mk2f coaches according to the last update in Bachmann Times magazine. Perhaps it's just that Hornby announces new models later on in their development.

Are you sure? Today's MREMag has some first shots of the Hornby Mk2e coaches taken at the London Toy Fair, which means they are further ahead in the production cycle than Bachmann's Mk2f coaches according to the last update in Bachmann Times magazine. Perhaps it's just that Hornby announces new models later on in their development.

Maybe.

But I was echoeing some of 'Model Rails' comments on their Facebook page at the time of the Hornby announcement.

Just seen the pictures on MREMag before I moved over to RMWeb.

• RMweb Premium

HornbyFAN - as you will see from the posting above yours, they are on Model Railway Express Magazine (or MREMag) today - 2 photos of Hornby's Mark 2E coach. With thanks to Phil Parker of MREMag, fresh from the London Toy Fair held on Tuesday to Thirsday this week. The link is http://www.mremag.com/news/bulletin.asp

John

HornbyFAN - as you will see from the posting above yours, they are on Model Railway Express Magazine (or MREMag) today - 2 photos of Hornby's Mark 2E coach. With thanks to Phil Parker of MREMag, fresh from the London Toy Fair held on Tuesday to Thirsday this week. The link is http://www.mremag.com/news/bulletin.asp

John

Thanks! Interesting images.

Archived