2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

The gap between the recommended retail price and the discounted price is closing. For instance Hornby are offering R3280 4496 Golden Shuttle in LNER blue for £76.99 with free postage whereas Hattons are offering it for £71.30 plus £4 postage amounting to £75.30. Another factor is that in the past I used to wait until several items I wanted came out and then order them at the same time to save on postage. With pre orders Hattons is advising people to have each item sent as soon as it arrives. For instance if someone orders the three versions of the Hornby 700 and they do not arrive at Hattons at the same time the postage will be £12 whereas if Hattons sent them all together the postage would be £4.

But it's not Hattons making more money, this is directly because Hornby increased their prices to retailer, squeezing the retailers margins which simply means there is less margin for discount for Hattons to pass on. I'd say its a price increase by stealth. To people who asked on the thread concerning retailers , does it affect them.......absolutely , here is the result!

But it's not Hattons making more money, this is directly because Hornby increased their prices to retailer, squeezing the retailers margins which simply means there is less margin for discount for Hattons to pass on. I'd say its a price increase by stealth. To people who asked on the thread concerning retailers , does it affect them.......absolutely , here is the result!

My post was not a criticism of Hattons. It was simply to show how the market has changed as a result of Hornby reducing the retailer's margins.

Following the poor sales of the R2981 BR ER N2 London 1948 train pack I am surprised that Hornby does not always do more research into the train packs before issuing them. There has also been a problem with the green Mk1 coaches which are illustrated with coach crests only carried by the Royal Wessex but the coach numbers relate to a set 869 which did not have coach crests.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely a price increase for us but hardly by stealth (for us)  with the amount of coverage it's had on this forum  :O   Hornby's main aim seems to have been to stop the deep discounting and in my view that's no bad thing and well overdue but what they have done (as announced thus far) will also squeeze all retailers and hit their profitability where it hurts - and as yet they don't even know the 2014 credit terms from Hornby, in one case I know of someone's entire unfulfilled 2013 back order list has been scrubbed by Hornby (who claim they don't have a copy), there are new charges for failure to pay promptly and so on.

Yet at the same time little or nothing has happened so far to stamp on people trading from private addresses and thus working on much lower margins which can pose a real threat to proper retail businesses with retail premises.  We can but hope - for the sake of our retailers - that the final T&Cs etc they get from Hornby for 2014 are somewhat more attuned to their business than what we have heard so far.

...If Hornby and Bachmann wants or needs to cut assembly costs, then for goodness sakes put the damn dart in the little plastic bag along with the fire irons and what-not for buyers to fit.

As a build on this: and revisit the detailing 'mix'. I for one can live without painted and separately fitted cab interior parts and between the frames detail. Fit as much of the always readily visible exterior detail and/or provide the parts for user fitting as the budget allows. Stuff that can barely be seen at any time and not when in motion, leave it off.

The separately fitted detail I am most hung up on is glazing. Good quality well installed model glazing beats what most of us can achieve by hand work, and adds enormously to the appearance of a model. Combined with a high grade paint job, this is where RTR really scores for me over kit or scratchbuilding.

• RMweb Premium

As a build on this: and revisit the detailing 'mix'. I for one can live without painted and separately fitted cab interior parts and between the frames detail. Fit as much of the always readily visible exterior detail and/or provide the parts for user fitting as the budget allows. Stuff that can barely be seen at any time and not when in motion, leave it off.

The separately fitted detail I am most hung up on is glazing. Good quality well installed model glazing beats what most of us can achieve by hand work, and adds enormously to the appearance of a model. Combined with a high grade paint job, this is where RTR really scores for me over kit or scratchbuilding.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, particularly re the glazing. The more visible the detail and therefore its importance to the overall "look" of a model, the more vital it is separately fitted. Having said that, there are times when moulded detail would be fine - I've just received my first Dapol Western without the roof lugs pre-fitted and they're so small I would have been happy if they were moulded.

• RMweb Premium

Can someone explain to me about the Bagnall 0-4-0 diesel shunter (R3283), like what region were they used in of the country, as it looks quite unique and interesting from Hornby this year. 

I can warn you right now about that model - from the looks of it, it's actually not that accurate to a real Bagnall diesel. It's actually a reworking of the 'Dart' model from the Thomas range: http://www.ehattons.com/36051/Hornby_R9683_Dart_diesel_0_4_0_locomotive_Thomas_the_Tank_range_/StockDetail.aspx

Modifications to the Railroad diesel include the removal of the face and a different livery to be more realistic - the model uses the standard 0-4-0 chassis found on the Caledonian 'Pug,' GWR 101, Class 06, and others. For a realistic locomotive, it's about on par with the Class 06 - not overly realistic, but cheap and cheerful, and enough like the prototype to pass muster.

In terms of the real locomotive, Dart is based on this diesel from the Foxfield Railway: http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/locomotiveprofiles/leys.php

And info about Dart himself: http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Dart

Overall, if you want it don't pay too much for it - it is unique from their other offerings, but in terms of complete realism it's lacking. Take it for what it is, and you shouldn't be disappointed - like the aforementioned 06.

Hornby has just announced its R3174 Railroad LNER Silver Jubilee train pack with what Hornby has described as 2 LNER Mk2 3rd class parlour cars and an LNER 1st class brake. While this is better than nothing I think that there is sufficient demand for an authentic Silver Jubilee, Coronation and West Riding coaches given the popularity of the A4s. My main interest is the Southern Railway and its successors but I like the A4 and I have already got a similar train with a silver A4 and the silver coaches from split sets. I think it is wrong for Hornby to describe silver LMS coaches as LNER coaches and it would have been better to leave out LNER.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread; and I suppose it's a bit early in the year to be asking; but is there anything known about the two Britannias (presumably super-detail and loco drive?) that are to be released via 'concessions' - 70043/44? When? Standalone locos, or part of sets (hope not)? I consider the loco drive Brit to be among Hornby's very best models, but have missed out on getting one so far. Ebay prices are a bit silly for secondhand - supply and demand - and I don't need gimmicks like DCC/sound/smoke/lights and the rest. A straightforward DC/DCC ready example would be great. John

... I consider the loco drive Brit to be among Hornby's very best models, but have missed out on getting one so far. Ebay prices are a bit silly for secondhand - supply and demand -

Agreed that the Brit is an example of Hornby at its absolute finest.  Which must be why I seem to be acquiring quite a fleet.  :O

Keep the faith on eBay though, I've picked up two new examples (white roof and plain black) at sub-£70 prices including postage already this year.

Agreed that the Brit is an example of Hornby at its absolute finest.  Which must be why I seem to be acquiring quite a fleet.  :O

Keep the faith on eBay though, I've picked up two new examples (white roof and plain black) at sub-£70 prices including postage already this year.

I fell almost in love with Hornby's model of the Brit, so much I had to get one! I searched eBay endlessly, and they were either broken or far too much money!

I ended up getting one from a local 'Train and Toy Fair' for £70, as new condition!

I fell almost in love with Hornby's model of the Brit, so much I had to get one! I searched eBay endlessly, and they were either broken or far too much money!

I ended up getting one from a local 'Train and Toy Fair' for £70, as new condition!

There's no almost fell in love about it.  It was lust, pure and sinful. 

And once they're weathered into '67 Kingmoor condition...   Cold shower, darkened room....

Did someone say the F-word by the way?

There's no almost fell in love about it.  It was lust, pure and sinful. 

And once they're weathered into '67 Kingmoor condition...   Cold shower, darkened room....

Did someone say the F-word by the way?

Unfortunately, with mine, the cab doors are attached to the tender, so they tend to foul the cab floor, derailing the tender.....

Probly as excited as anyone else over the Hornby announcement about the MK2e coaches. Like a lot of people would like both blue and intercity coaches. 6 blue/grey coaches are listed, could anyone tell the codes numbers for getting a TSO, FO and a BSO. Or are they listed twice as two different numbers will be done? The adverts for the coaches are a bit confusing. Can anyone help?

Stephen.

Probly as excited as anyone else over the Hornby announcement about the MK2e coaches. Like a lot of people would like both blue and intercity coaches. 6 blue/grey coaches are listed, could anyone tell the codes numbers for getting a TSO, FO and a BSO. Or are they listed twice as two different numbers will be done? The adverts for the coaches are a bit confusing. Can anyone help?

Stephen.

According to the Hornby page which I didn't find confusing, it's pretty much easy to deduce from their prices. I'm not sure if the codes you wanted are the serial numbers/product codes or something else. But here is what it is. There are 9 in total (3 with interior lighting, 3 without and 3 from the Railroad range)

R4610 BR Blue/Grey TSO (illuminated interior)   Price: 29.99

R4611 BR Blue/Grey FO (illuminated interior)                "

R4612 BR Blue/Grey BSO (illuminated interior)              "

R4613 BR Blue/Grey TSO    Price: 24.99

R4614 BR Blue/Grey FO                 "

R4615 BR Blue/Grey BSO               "

R4622 BR Blue/Grey TSO    Price: 22.99  (RailRoad)

R4623 BR Blue/Grey FO                 "

R4624 BR Blue/Grey BSO               "

Hopefully they will have NEM pockets. I wonder what the extra two quid gets you? (maybe NEM pockets? :) )

Every new product these days has NEM couplings, even the Railroad items. So why the question?? :O NEM couplings are now standard. I doubt Hornby will use large couplings. :)

The extra two quid is for metal wheels, enhanced and detailed livery etc. Basically a RR coach will be one with plastic wheels and a basic livery. The main range one has all the intricate printing (no smoking signs, tops panels etc. etc) and metal wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Every new product these days has NEM couplings, even the Railroad items. So why the question?? :O NEM couplings are now standard. I doubt Hornby will use large couplings. :)

The extra two quid is for metal wheels, enhanced and detailed livery etc. Basically a RR coach will be one with plastic wheels and a basic livery. The main range one has all the intricate printing (no smoking signs, tops panels etc. etc) and metal wheels.

Anyone who wants large couplers can obtain packs of ten to fit NEM pockets. R.8268

John

According to the Hornby page which I didn't find confusing, it's pretty much easy to deduce from their prices. I'm not sure if the codes you wanted are the serial numbers/product codes or something else. But here is what it is. There are 9 in total (3 with interior lighting, 3 without and 3 from the Railroad range)

R4610 BR Blue/Grey TSO (illuminated interior)   Price: 29.99

R4611 BR Blue/Grey FO (illuminated interior)                "

R4612 BR Blue/Grey BSO (illuminated interior)              "

R4613 BR Blue/Grey TSO    Price: 24.99

R4614 BR Blue/Grey FO                 "

R4615 BR Blue/Grey BSO               "

R4622 BR Blue/Grey TSO    Price: 22.99  (RailRoad)

R4623 BR Blue/Grey FO                 "

R4624 BR Blue/Grey BSO               "

I've orded a rake of the non-lit coaches from main range, will see how the lit versions come out of the production line before ordering a rake of them.

Roy

Hopefully they will have NEM pockets. I wonder what the extra two quid gets you? (maybe NEM pockets? :) )

The price point of the Railroad version really does puzzle me. At £2 less (RRP) for the differences that have been noted, the RR version has to be a hard sale to make unless cash is really, really tight for the individual. I can see the RR versions being a boon for those looking to do a repaint and rewheel (for whatever reason), but sub £20 would have been a nicer, more differentiated niche for them.

Archived