2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

Every new product these days has NEM couplings, even the Railroad items. So why the question?? :O NEM couplings are now standard. I doubt Hornby will use large couplings. :)

The extra two quid is for metal wheels, enhanced and detailed livery etc. Basically a RR coach will be one with plastic wheels and a basic livery. The main range one has all the intricate printing (no smoking signs, tops panels etc. etc) and metal wheels

Sorry my mistake, it was a genuine question as a newcomer to the hobby.Thanks for the info. 

If you don't ask questions you never learn !! 

• RMweb Premium

Sorry my mistake, it was a genuine question as a newcomer to the hobby.Thanks for the info. 

If you don't ask questions you never learn !!

And it wasn't in ant way a stupid question. With the way Hornby is these days, cost cutting, inaccurate pictures and specs on catalogue, I would ask how we can really be certain?

• RMweb Premium

And it wasn't in ant way a stupid question. With the way Hornby is these days, cost cutting, inaccurate pictures and specs on catalogue, I would ask how we can really be certain?

Indeed. And much of the time there's no need for creating the confusion. 56084 in Blue/LL is shown as a Romanian version in the catalogue yet Hornby has the correct tooling model available to photoshop instead. The phrase "own worst enemy" comes to mind all too often in this respect.

• 6 months later...

Are you sure? Today's MREMag has some first shots of the Hornby Mk2e coaches taken at the London Toy Fair, which means they are further ahead in the production cycle than Bachmann's Mk2f coaches according to the last update in Bachmann Times magazine. Perhaps it's just that Hornby announces new models later on in their development.

id suggest Bachmann always planned on the Mk2f. if the rumour was that they initially planned Mk2e until finding out Hornby were well advanced with theirs and that forced them to look at the Mk2f then I say what good fortune otherwise we may not have seen the mk2f DBSO announced ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, it can't be long before we can start frothing over the 2015 announcements and saying how disappointed we are that they're not doing a 47XX, toplight coaches and other popular demands :jester:

If we're all good little bunnies and we ask nicely Andy might permit a Hornby froth thread on December 1. (That's when we did it last year.)

I must say I'm not all that wound up about it this year.

• RMweb Premium

If we're all good little bunnies and we ask nicely Andy might permit a Hornby froth thread on December 1. (That's when we did it last year.)

I must say I'm not all that wound up about it this year.

So when are we allowed to start an Oxfordrail/DJM/Rapido/Realtrack/Kernow/Hattons/Olivias/etc. wishlist? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

My recollection is that there were often compartments without lighting; however, to my eyes, the illumination in the lit compartments is fair too bright..

As a passenger on the occasional 1970s 'footex' I can safely say there was a dearth of lighting in compartment stock on return journeys from away matches..............

And occasionally the ventilation was improved as well !

Brian R

that coach lighting just looks odd, the lit bit looks pretty bright and the ends look unlit. Is there a goldilocks compartment that's just right??? ;)

If lighting is going to be added it needs to be all the way along, random compartments could be dark, but not that.

If Hornby omitted the partition above the seats on the end compartments perhaps the light would shine through to enable the passengers to read their newspapers.

Or maybe used a slightly longer light bar?? Surely a capacitor (if one has to be used, presumably for non-DCC users) could be fitted in, say, the door entrance area?

Surely it can be too hard to get lighting to the ends..............we can buy kits to do it ourselves, why can't Hornby? 

I've just done it myself in a matter of minutes on an inspection saloon, using a roll of LEDs trimmed to exactly the right length. 

I can't see how a product like this was passed fit for release onto the market to be honest. It's exactly the same with the new Mk 3s and will, presumably, be the same with the new Mk 2e's, which would be very disappointing.

I really can't see how we're expecting too much in thinking that every compartment or seating bay on a coach should be illuminated reasonably evenly.

I really can't see how we're expecting too much in thinking that every compartment or seating bay on a coach should be illuminated reasonably evenly.

it is too much, since little Johnny won't mind (wow lights), and I promise you there will be howls of pleasure from the socially networked 10 year olds on Youtube (really realisitic and bright, doen't really matter that it doesn't reach the end because they probably designed some compartments to be turned off or something).... and the crowds will flock, even if the light shines through the paint on the quarterlight bars

Such is life (and a cynical me, probably repeating myself from other threads)

I can't see how a product like this was passed fit for release onto the market to be honest. It's exactly the same with the new Mk 3s and will, presumably, be the same with the new Mk 2e's, which would be very disappointing.

I'm disappointed people can't see that this sort of level of detail and quality, is all we are going to get from Hornby from now on.

Personally I think they're finished as a good source for quality RTR models and we should be looking towards those companies who have a vested interest in producing quality models, rather than a company who are more wedded to mass market toy manufacturing.

Sorry folks. I know I'll get a lot of negative comment, or even hate mail, but I couldn't care less if the company folded tomorrow to be honest.

After all, from everything we've witnessed, read and learnt over the last couple of years, it seems there's almost no hope of restitution to the previous high standards for the foreseeable future.

I honestly wish I was wrong and would welcome having to eat my own words in a year or two.

**I'm sorry to hijack this thread but felt that the update about this 2014 Hornby item would best fit here.

When the range was announced someone on RMweb rightly pointed out that The R3289TTS Class 37 (97) in Network Rail livery had the wrong body in the picture. The picture displayed a center headcode panel/headlights where as 97301 actually has a flush panel. I immediately rook this topic to Hornby's notice and was told it would be looked into.

Recently whilst browsing I came across a topic on Hornby's forum where this was discussed and quite sad to say that despite the admin being very responsive and helpful proper care was not take to ensure the right body was used and/or number changed to 97303 which was a little bit more suitable for the body depicted.

The admin has stated that production of these is now coming to an end and the error thus stays on.

Regards.
J.

Archived