2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

Probably being a bit hard on Hornby.

From me, who does tend to have a dig at them, that is saying something.

The models advertised on line are probably owned by one company and replacements sent out by the service department are probably owned by a different company.

Not much good to us punters but it is a common enough business arrangement. Different paper work, cost price, procedures etc.

Ironic that I moan about the lack of any credible quality system and now that they appear to be setting up some thing it shoots 'em in the foot yet again.

Reminds me of the story regarding the local MOD office. A colleague once asked the MOD chap to deliver a letter to the Navy chap in the next door office. He was told by the MOD chap that he had worked there for 25 years and had never said more than "Good Morning" to the Navy man and was not going to start doing so now.

Bernard

Following on from my #1217 post, said Gresley coach direct from Hornby arrived at 9.30 this morning. I am well pleased with it, but then I am in a position to change the teak livery seeing as the graining is much courser than produced at the previous factory. The fact that the middle beading is now in its correct position and the teak livery will without doubt satisfy most buyers.......

post-6680-0-46218700-1416411389_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Note sure if thus has been mentioned

http://www.Hornby.com/news/Hornby-sea-day-2014/

Possible delivery dates for next year

If I read that correctly 19 November is the latest date on which a container can arrive in the UK in time for stock to reach retailers before Christmas.  In other words it takes 5 weeks for the container to be identified out of the stack at the port, passed through customs, loaded to a a road vehicle, arrive at the new state of the art warehouse and be emptied and have the stock sorted ready for forwarding to the retailers arriving in time for someone visiting the shop to be able to buy it before Christmas?

That does seem quite a long time to me as i would have thought it wouldn't be over difficult to get the box out of the port within a week of its arrival although I appreciate that it could be more difficult as this time of year with everyone receiving pre-Christmas deliveries.

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, I have revised my 'Christmas present to me' plans as the 700 will be so late.

Bit disappointing.

Glum Rob

• RMweb Gold

said Gresley coach direct from Hornby arrived at 9.30 this morning. I am well pleased with it, but then I am in a position to change the teak livery seeing as the graining is much courser than produced at the previous factory.

I think it looks hideous.

• RMweb Premium

If I read that correctly 19 November is the latest date on which a container can arrive in the UK in time for stock to reach retailers before Christmas.  In other words it takes 5 weeks for the container to be identified out of the stack at the port, passed through customs, loaded to a a road vehicle, arrive at the new state of the art warehouse and be emptied and have the stock sorted ready for forwarding to the retailers arriving in time for someone visiting the shop to be able to buy it before Christmas?

That does seem quite a long time to me as i would have thought it wouldn't be over difficult to get the box out of the port within a week of its arrival although I appreciate that it could be more difficult as this time of year with everyone receiving pre-Christmas deliveries.

I too am surprised by that time scale Mike.  Typical practice is that the receiver of the goods starts to pay demurrage (rental) on the container after 7 to 14 days from unloading from the ship.  Port storage charges frequently start on the day of unloading - so costs start to ramp up very quickly if a container is not collected quickly, delivered to the warehouse, emptied and returned to the port.  Freight forwarder systems are therefore usually set up for fast and efficient pick up and delivery of the container to its destination.

I wonder if there is a safety margin built in to allow for delays in arrival of the container at the UK port.

Well said David, all it requires is a bit of modelling. Very much reflects Simon's latest blog - people are losing their modelling touch nowadays. Everyone just wants RTR stuff to be more than accurate.

i have to say, i totally agree with ron.

a big mainstream manufacturer like Hornby actually pays people to research whichever locomotive, carriage or wagon they're going to release next. there is enough information on the net, never mind going to the trouble (and expense) of viewing the prototype 'in person' yet they STILL get it wrong! 

they only have to read the comments on here throughout the manufacturing process and listen to those who are not only highly knowledgeable, but are also previous and potential customers. 

knocking fellow enthusiasts for not having the time or skills necessary to completely rebuild and correct a very expensive, brand new model which is sold as 'ready to run' not 'ready to be hacked to bits' is a little insulting.

if 100% of your enthusiasm for the hobby comes from 'modelling' then stick to your scratchbuilding from brass, plasticard, kits etc and stay away from the ready to run market.

i respect the skill involved in the 'modelling' aspect of our hobby, but i refuse to agree that the only people who are allowed to join in have to have craftsmanship levels high enough to meet a certain snobbish elitist criteria.

i also refuse to accept lazy ignorance from a massive, multimillion pound company which has the abilty to produce top quality READY TO RUN models (class 08, 50, 56, 60, tornado etc) but chooses instead to release shoddy, basic 'toys' with glaringly obvious inaccuracies and still wants to charge a premium price for it! 

i honestly hope i'm not directly offending anyone. please read my tone as sarcastic, not aggressive. 

To be fair, I have revised my 'Christmas present to me' plans as the 700 will be so late.

Bit disappointing.

Glum Rob

I agree very disappointing if these dates are reliable... I pre-ordered the TTS class 47 and saw that expected date slip past Christmas.... so pre-ordered the TTS Class 40 and saw that slip past Christmas also...... So pre ordered the TTS Class 37 based on Hornbys site saying and still saying expected 09/12/2014 but now find the Sea Date says expected 13th Feb 2015. :O

Trouble is it's Chinese New Year on Feb 19th (The year of the Goat) and traditionally all the workers seem to migrate back to their homes weeks before so I can see these dates going out of the window aswell.

But I'll live in hope and to wait until the 9th thats if Hornby dont update the website by then and if no sign of it then have a look for something else... :scratchhead:

It's a shame for Hornby that their missing the peak period with so many products...

In view of the disappointments with late deliveries I have consoled myself with an un-rebuilt Light Pacific 34001 'Exeter'.  I am presuming this is in small quantities and is a remainder from Sanda Kan production?

I have always liked the accessory pack with these, brake rods, front steps, and the general 'look', especially with weathering. ... and I'm wondering if the Refined Industries factory or factories will perhaps be used for future models of this engine, or will it be a model which 'fades away' from production plans.

Or in wild fantasy, is paired with an un-rebuilt Merchant Navy in a new production...   No!   don't go there!

All very pleasant to contemplate and arrival before Christmas will be nice. I look forward to a picture of the actual model which as far as I can tell is being sold only by Hornby.com whose pictures are rather computer-generated (and have the brake rods reversed).

I see the weathered A3 60103 'Flying Scosman' 1963 condition is no longer listed. 

• RMweb Premium

"I see the weathered A3 60103 'Flying Scosman' 1963 condition is no longer listed. "

Maybe somebody pointed out that it was withdrawn in January 1963. It was well cleaned prior to its famous last run. I was at KX for the departure. Perhaps it will re-enter the catalogue as "1962 condition".

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is it's Chinese New Year on Feb 19th (The year of the Goat) and traditionally all the workers seem to migrate back to their homes weeks before so I can see these dates going out of the window aswell.

Isn't relocating factories closer to where the Chinese workers live one of the objectives of the Chinese Government's policy on wages etc., so in theory this should become less of an issue in future - unless of course Apple has a factory down the road...

• RMweb Premium

Chinese New Year is likely to always be a "problem", much as Christmas - New Year is in much of the western world.  People go on holiday - whether they travel 5km or 500km is largely immaterial to a break in business activity.   Chinese New Year and the distances travelled has however been an issue regarding the number of workers who do not return afterwards, and in tat respect more local production should ease the post holiday problems.

I do not think the February promise dates are in danger from Chinese New Year (assuming they do not slip further), but the March and April ones certainly look ambitious to me.  These will be the deliveries that will be shipped from China in February.  Or perhaps better said, these are te deliveries that should be shipped from China in February but won't be.

I agree very disappointing if these dates are reliable... I pre-ordered the TTS class 47 and saw that expected date slip past Christmas.... so pre-ordered the TTS Class 40 and saw that slip past Christmas also...... So pre ordered the TTS Class 37 based on Hornbys site saying and still saying expected 09/12/2014 but now find the Sea Date says expected 13th Feb 2015. :O

Looks like Hornby have made their expected dates match their Sea Dates... they must read this site or our minds.....   :secret:

So need to find a new Christmas present now and it looks like my money will be going to Hattons and Heljan who have some Class 27's and 128 parcel units reduced..... Sorry Hornby maybe next year you'll get my money, I tried, oh how I tried....  :cry:

Perhaps we ought to run a company competition/league for delivery times – I was going to say that Hornby was not the worst for delays (I have some advance orders on other companies dated Dec 2011 still outstanding – but at least two of the companies concerned have kept me informed – the other two/three are fully up(?) to Hornby standards).

The big problem with Hornby is they potentially have some attractive items coming down the line but are continually over-optimistic and unreliable over delivery dates – and this is now allied (if the latest Kernow statement is correct) to poor control of the manufacturing process. How can a company find out only when it opens the container in UK that it has insufficient items to meet the retailer orders probably already placed up to a year earlier. Did not the Hornby QA/PM notice when they visited the factory– did not someone say you seem a bit short on tender mouldings (or whatever), did not someone booking the container look at waybills/weights or quantities and say the number of packages doesn’t match. Didn’t anyone count anything until it arrived in UK??

Every manufacturer must have progress points even for reruns. They must have some sort of project or production manager tracking production and possibly even linking progress to stage payments with payment on proof of milestone achievement. They cannot be paying the lot up front, or just collecting the money from retailers on delivery and then paying China…. Can they??.

On deliveries they may be waiting for a production slot, or a transport container, but it is hardly commercial-in-confidence to give stage updates to the modelling press especially once past the CAD stage.  Just amending the delivery date at short notice is not good enough –  so it is one cheer for Hornby but it becomes a minus cheer if the Kernow statement is correct as it stands – I would like to start the delivery league running with the Thompson suburban reruns(development already done/same livery/number change only) – I ordered several in mid-April 2013 – delivery date by implication if the Sea date list is comprehensive and correct (they are not listed!!) post July 2015 i.e. 2+ years for a rerun - but I am sure someone can better that though. :banghead:

• RMweb Premium

I took it to mean the date that the container has to leave China (though I agree it's not what the wording implied).

I have no idea how long it takes to get a container from China to the UK by sea (when I export large things to China they go air-freight).

But in another thread Realtrack coincidentally announced at about that time that their class 143s were about to ship from China, with an expected arrival date in the UK of around Christmas, which suggests that 5 weeks is about right for shipping time.

I took it to mean the date that the container has to leave China (though I agree it's not what the wording implied).

I have no idea how long it takes to get a container from China to the UK by sea (when I export large things to China they go air-freight).

But in another thread Realtrack coincidentally announced at about that time that their class 143s were about to ship from China, with an expected arrival date in the UK of around Christmas, which suggests that 5 weeks is about right for shipping time.

Containers take between 4-5 weeks plus any customs time.

Steve

If yu don't get the box out of the port inside a week you'll be paying demurrage... My guess is that the delay is in terms of sorting at the warehouse and dispatch to the retailer

Archived