2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

There is a small numbering problem apparent.

The following picture is NOT mine! So please don't go reproducing! As you can see, the number is 46233

http://www.tyseleylocoworks.co.uk/tlw/images104/46233tys240612bjv.jpg

© Brian Jones

Whereas, the model shown on Hornby's website in numbered 46223:

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/2014-range/steam-locomotive-and-packs/r3221-lms-duchess-of-sutherland-and-support-coach-train-pack/

Please say this isn't early signs of Hornby repeating last years procedures...........

• RMweb Premium

I do not understand WR people moaning there is ' nothing for me'. There are more 2-8-0/2-8-2T locos with revised detail, more Stars, a County (4-4-0 and 4-6-0) a 2-8-0 tender loco, so it is not all bad news, and let's face it there is a 64xx and 1366PT on the way. Hornby cannot please everyone and this time it is the GER who are getting most of the new locos. As I said before if you like the loco don't deprive yourself just because it is not your region, there are some beautiful locos on their way, and Hornby are making up for lost time, let's enjoy it.

The metal body has only so far appeared in the EP of the 700 (unless you've seen things that I haven't) and that can be seen as a logical follow up to the 6 or 7 year old T9 which has been unique in that period as being a Hornby model with a metal boiler. ....

The "Schools" has one as well.

I've also just noticed that all of the HST power cars use the same body moulding (the MML ones are illustrated wrongly for the livery / numbers) - these, and both sets of blue-and-grey, and the Executive ones, all have Marston cooler groups, van windows still in place and original light clusters (or the MML three-hole ones, which Hornby just represent using an original type with a black surround). Deliberate economising so that they can produce one big batch of bodyshells?

I've also just noticed that all of the HST power cars use the same body moulding (the MML ones are illustrated wrongly for the livery / numbers) - these, and both sets of blue-and-grey, and the Executive ones, all have Marston cooler groups, van windows still in place and original light clusters (or the MML three-hole ones, which Hornby just represent using an original type with a black surround). Deliberate economising so that they can produce one big batch of bodyshells?

More likely to be photoshopped liveries onto a standard bodyshell. Not all the models will be at a sufficiently advanced stage to be photographed.

Paul

Or just photoshop mockup using the wrong base image?

EDIT - posted at the same time as Fenman above!!

I see what you're getting at Chris, but If I had to explain to my bank manager, I'd rather be able to say "I'm planning on producing a model of a loco that's been around for 20-40 years (depending on the prototype) and been extensively used from London to Glasgow and around East Anglia (not to mention elsewhere) and been painted in innumerable liveries" than "I'm planning on producing a single loco which had very limited geographic distribution and which many people have never heard of, outside the London area anyway and  which as far as I know was only painted one colour*".

* I may be wrong there but I know little about the prototype (despite having been interested in railways for as long as I can remember).

No, there are several liveries but the point I am making (not very well) is that these companies are geared to different production volumes. I don't think you would ever see Hornby producing Sarah Siddons but it fits nicely with the way Heljan works. It is niche in the same way that Baby Deltics are niche - in fact they are much the same in only being few in number and pretty much limited to the London suburbs. It has been around a lot longer than 40 years and has a cult following, so it's a good'un for Heljan but you're right, it wouldn't sell in the volumes Hornby would need. They would be much better off doing an 87, a 90 or a 92 because they have lots of modern eye-catching liveries and they are more widely used BUT and its a big but - Hornby have already sold tens of thousands of them and the majority of their customers have been happy with them. Why spend six figures on new tooling to satisfy a small number of people who aren't happy with the existing model? Ironically, it might be better for Heljan to tool up those locos because they could cater to the relatively small demand at the higher price. But if you are Heljan you'll say "but we did a Class 86 and there were loads of grumbles about it" (I don't know whether it sold well or not, so I can't comment but I guess you can see where this theme is going.......

A J15 and a Claud. Only a couple of original M&GN locos could have made me happier today. This is absolutely fantastic.

GER liveried special editions please Locomotion!

Well... here is a 'Royal Engine' theme to more than one model this year, so maybe this will continue with a suitably-backdated "Royal Claud" next year? Could be quite a 'looker' - and it's even been photographed on the GN main line!

The Nim.

• RMweb Premium

Or it might just be photoshopped. Hornby not known for the accuracy of their illustrations........which as you have just pointed out is an issue. Do you really know what you are getting so you can ordering advance?

More likely to be photoshopped liveries onto a standard bodyshell. Not all the models will be at a sufficiently advanced stage to be photographed.

Paul

Yes, they have used standard photoshopped images but I've checked the numbers of the power cars and how they appeared at the time they carried the livery depicted, and I am sure that (assuming Hornby do them correctly!) they will all use the same bodyshell. Could be coincidence, or it could be a deliberate policy so that they only have to produce one type of bodyshell.

I can't believe none of Hornby's new CCTs (either the LMS or new LNER one) are going to be available in BR Blue. Surely they think there is a market for the 1970s/1980s period given their other announcements - I just don't get it. But they are bringing out an Ex-LMS 50' full brake in BR blue which Bachmann already produce!!!

• RMweb Premium

I m so glad too see Hornby have decided to fit smoke box darts to the next release of GW tanks. For me this was the reason l did not purchase any first time around. I note the buffers are still not sprung, but l ve always thought this was of limited value to a model. Much better to get the visible detail right. So well done for listening Hornby!

Hornby has to be applauded. 

A very nice range of new items. It also seems they are listening to feedback in regards to their new manufacturing processes. And also they are wanting to us to have more play value for our money. We have never had it so good!

I agree with all of that very well-stated summary, except the last statement, where I think we need to have demonstrated delivery of well-made new models, even if they are late.

The production of affordable sound-equipped models is interesting, note that this option does not require new factories, just DCC, sound decoder and speakers included in specs.

I am pleased that some highly detailed models are to be continued, with improvements as with smokebox detail on GWR tank engines, and several other traditional best sellers like a Duchess and a Bulleid. I have little doubt that the J15, K1 and 700 will be fine models, and the EMUs.

At a glance, no weathered models? There's something for UK aftermarket suppliers.

All in all, very pleasing, and not too hard on my wallet (I buy mostly existing 'old catalogue' models new or second hand,)

Thankyou Hornby for still being fully 'in the game'. And particularly, thankyou Andy for the comprehensive announcement.

Rob

No, there are several liveries but the point I am making (not very well) is that these companies are geared to different production volumes. I don't think you would ever see Hornby producing Sarah Siddons but it fits nicely with the way Heljan works. It is niche in the same way that Baby Deltics are niche - in fact they are much the same in only being few in number and pretty much limited to the London suburbs. It has been around a lot longer than 40 years and has a cult following, so it's a good'un for Heljan but you're right, it wouldn't sell in the volumes Hornby would need. They would be much better off doing an 87, a 90 or a 92 because they have lots of modern eye-catching liveries and they are more widely used BUT and its a big but - Hornby have already sold tens of thousands of them and the majority of their customers have been happy with them. Why spend six figures on new tooling to satisfy a small number of people who aren't happy with the existing model? Ironically, it might be better for Heljan to tool up those locos because they could cater to the relatively small demand at the higher price. But if you are Heljan you'll say "but we did a Class 86 and there were loads of grumbles about it" (I don't know whether it sold well or not, so I can't comment but I guess you can see where this theme is going.......

I suspect the vast majority of owners of the first version of Bachmann's 37 were pretty happy, (I certainly was), yet they retooled them twice, and yes, I know the 37 is a very different beast from the AC electrics in terms of its widespread use and so on, but retooling can and does generate new buyers. The Limby 87 is so old now, I suspect it puts many modellers off just for that reason. I for one would certainly buy a few new 87s, but I've sold all my old Lima ones and won't be buying any new ones unless a retooled version is released. That's just my opinion I know but I wonder how many other modellers are in the same boat.

It perhaps would have been more appropriate to compare the AC electrics with a new prototype chosen by Hornby, but I actually think Hornby's choices this time round are pretty good overall (with the exception of an AC electric, which I didn't really expect anyway). There seems to be something for many modellers and some interesting developments too (cheap sound in particular - long overdue). I'll certainly be getting at least Coal Sector 60 and I'll be watching the Mk 2Es with interest. I'm still waiting for my Large Logo 56 though.

But what a set of releases for ER modellers. I'm not sure I can recall a year before where one region was so strongly favoured over all the others.

I'll take a shot at 51 or so years ago - didn't the B12 and Brush Type 2 "The Eastern Region Diesel" come out the same year?

The Nim.

Quite a good result! Bit dissapointed that there is no re-tooled 90. On the up side whilst browsing the Hornby site there is also some WAG coaches on there which Santa will hopefully have under the tree next Christmas. I'm also made up with the excellent colas 56s! :) didn't think I'd say this but Hornby are well and trully back in the game :)

I can't believe none of Hornby's new CCTs (either the LMS or new LNER one) are going to be available in BR Blue. Surely they think there is a market for the 1970s/1980s period given their other announcements - I just don't get it. But they are bringing out an Ex-LMS 50' full brake in BR blue which Bachmann already produce!!!

Actually they don't which I presume is why Hornby have decided to release their version in that livery.

• RMweb Gold

As I am in the very early planning stages of a potential successor to 'Kinmundy', a freight only branch in County Durham

So that's your ticket for another hour or two off, then...!  :P

Actually, you disappoint me, Martin, I thought you were going to do a model of the Dornoch branch...! (Pannier, anyone?!)  :sungum:

It looks as if the bank account is going to need a cash transfusion!   It is certainly an impressive programme and I hope the problems with production have been sorted out because they were making a mockery of the Catalogue information regarding which quarter an item was due to appear.   The J15, D16/3 and K1 certainly do the old G.E. proud especially with the L1, B17 and Britannia Pacifics but the inclusion of a small tank would have been welcome.   I would hope Hornby looks closer at some the the smaller locomotives, certainly the inclusion of the Drummond 700 Class is welcome.   Maybe a Western 94XX and retooled Dean Goods would offer potential whilst a N7 and J69 fit comfortably with the G.E. interest.   In terms of non steam motive power, the Bulleid Co-Co Electric Locomotives appropriately nicknamed 'Hornbys' would sit well with the 2-BIL etc.      Maybe 2015 will deliver.

Looking at the photographs of the open wagons highlights the need to produce new tooling for the underframes - the old heavy style couplings contrast with those from the old Airfix range inherited via Dapol.   Bachmann have excelled in terms of freight vehicles and this is reflected in my own wagon fleet where Hornby wagons are in the minority.  As an example of not taking advantage of the potential market, the Milk Tank wagons were issued as singles when alternative number could have enhanced sales.  This appears to have been learnt with the Blue Spot Fish Vans where a three individually numbered pack and two single vehicles have been produced so maybe thought could be given to a re-run of the Milk Tanks on a similar basis.

The new Catalogue :no:  can't come fast enough!

I think that they have missed a trick by not choosing a prototype that they can use their clever technology to work on with a pre-grouping livery. for example a J 69 in GE blue. As I understand it the D16/3 is NOT a pre-grouping loco.

However, lots of lovely stuff there, and I have started saving.

Ed

Archived