2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

More China Clay CDA's, great, and a very nice private owner St. Austell planked wagon which will all look good on my Clay layout.

Have put my pre- order in for a Crosti 9F. There are going to be some mighty steam locos on my other layout when the Crosti and the Garratt get together

I cannot believe, and being old enough to remember Hornby Dublo and the Graham Farish Pannier in the flesh as well as Dinky and Britain's toys and so on, that diecast metal can deliver the same crisp and fine detail as injection-moulded plastic.

There may be issues with split casting flows (around holes for instance) not knitting back together (on meeting on the far side) quite as well in metal as with thermoplastic. But a look at Hornby-Dublo's 8F and Stanier City pacifics shows the boiler bands to be exemplary in terms of finesse. The heavy-duty paint used back then built up around raised rivet detail and exaggerated this.

The Nim.

Well nothing for me this time from Hornby, but nevertheless a very interesting line up.

I hope that the outstanding stuff from 2013 hits the shops very soon and we see deliveries of the 2014 ranges in a reasonable time frame.

If Hornby are back in the game that is really good news for all as I have been running at 80% Bachmann over the last two years and Hornby have to stay competitive on quality, variation in the range and price.

Good luck to them with this line up

John P

• RMweb Premium

There are some interesting potential innovations mentioned and some nice touches which no doubt will be explored in the fullness of time.

Coaches with lights, not new but a welcome return

The speed restricting thing sounds intriguing

TTS could well herald an era of cheap sound without the complexities

Putting Loksound chips in their sound locos, don't know if this is new but it certainly a move in the right direction.

There is an awful lot to discuss when RMwebbers start to scratch below the surface after everything settles down.

Hi All...

An interesting selection, and thankfully not a lot to bleed my wallet.  My wife thanks you! 

if this has already been answered, my apologies as I've not seen it anywhere...

I have a small concern regarding the new MK2E's.  It's stated "The Hornby Mk2 E coaches are designed using the same techniques as the new Hornby Mk1 coaches. These will however be part of the main Hornby range".  Does this mean that while an upgrade over the existing MK2D coaches, they won't have a CCM like the new MK1's?   I wish Hornby would give a little more information.  I'd like some of these to add to the Bachmann MK2F's I already have on order, as well as the MK2A's I already have... but not if they don't have some form of CCM.

Anyone have any insight or thought?

As always the Hornby yearly announcement elicits a wide range of reactions from "Oh, wow, finally a GWNERSR Bloggs 480 to the inevitable Oh Woe is me, there is nothing for me, again.... But it's interesting to note where there are some particularly large gaps that never seem to be addressed by Hornby (or others, for that matter)...

A) non-3rd Rail EMUs and AC electrics

B] 3-, 5- and 7-plank wagons to modern standards of detail and construction

C) suburban coaching stock other than LNER

D) pre-grouping coaching stock

The 2HAL appeals, but I won't get one due to budget constraints, the return of the GWR four-coupled tanks will allow me to expand my big tank stable. I am facing a dilemma, inasmuch as I do not have enough information to differentiate between the Railroad GWR Hall and the standard range Hall. Which do I order? I doubt that there will be neither enough produced of both models nor the simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) release of the models to allow for a Railroad vs Standard range head-to-head comparison

Hornby pricing continues to mystify me, I don't think enough has been done to differentiate between the Railroad and standard lines. And why create new model for the Railroad range? I thought the idea was to cascade olde models down into the Railroad to both provide less expensive models for novices and to maximize income from obsolete models.

• RMweb Gold

Railmaster Loco Detection System....

I reckon this is an underhand ploy to enable Hornby to tax unlicensed train sets...

8PM, somewhere in the Home Counties. A knock at the door....

"Good evening Madam. We have had reports of an unlicensed train set in the vicinity. Our detector van shows your husband is playing with a Merchant Navy, and your son is driving a Star....."

Ian

Hi guys,

There seems to be some confusion over the Blue Grey MK3 eastern region and the Intercity Exec MK3 livery.   As I read it (which differs from the original post on here with the photos) the 1ST CLASS, TGS, BUFFET in the blue grey livery are featuring lighting, but the TS do NOT HAVE LIGHTS.   This is according to the Hornby website.

This bizarre trend continues with the Intercity Exec coaches.   The 1ST CLASS, TGS AND BUFFET do not have lights, but the TS coaches DO HAVE LIGHTS!   What's the point in that?? That will look really crap, some of your rake with lights and some without.

I have emailed Hornby for clarification.   I hope its a error, but having since looked at Hattons website it appears as if this blunder has been released for pre orders!

Anyone else notice this?!

Dave

ps - good to see Hornby cater for the ECML HSTS for the first time since they released the HST back in the 1970s!!

• RMweb Premium

Flippin eck I get home from work and see all this Eastern promise - I may have to go and lie down in a darkened room!  And ANOTHER B1, I'm still looking forward to the previously announced 61270.  Bang go the retirement plans, then.....

Maybe just an oversight perhaps?

If we dont get answers I suggest civil unrest, maybe a riot in margate....we cant let it lie..

Or maybe its a simple mistake, which will be put right. Personally I'd go with the latter.

Hi guys,

There seems to be some confusion over the Blue Grey MK3 eastern region and the Intercity Exec MK3 livery.   As I read it (which differs from the original post on here with the photos) the 1ST CLASS, TGS, BUFFET in the blue grey livery are featuring lighting, but the TS do NOT HAVE LIGHTS.   This is according to the Hornby website.

This bizarre trend continues with the Intercity Exec coaches.   The 1ST CLASS, TGS AND BUFFET do not have lights, but the TS coaches DO HAVE LIGHTS!   What's the point in that?? That will look really crap, some of your rake with lights and some without.

I have emailed Hornby for clarification.   I hope its a error, but having since looked at Hattons website it appears as if this blunder has been released for pre orders!

Anyone else notice this?!

Dave

ps - good to see Hornby cater for the ECML HSTS for the first time since they released the HST back in the 1970s!!

Wrong. There is nothing better than a Black Motor. If Black and North Eastern is 'better', Black and South Western is best . . . !!!! :stinker:

JE

:nono:

Nothing better than a Black Motor? Please...... :sarcastichand:

Our engines dont look like they have been put together ad hoc....

And are capeable of going here.... day in.... day out.... :O

The funny thing is you get the engine made! I have to wait for another chance next year, or the year after, or the one after that.

Come on Hornby the J21 is next! :declare:

EDIT: Please note, photos taken off google...

But if you are Heljan you'll say "but we did a Class 86 and there were loads of grumbles about it" (I don't know whether it sold well or not, so I can't comment but I guess you can see where this theme is going.......

Unfortunately as much discussed here and elsewhere it turned out not to be the definitive model we were hoping for despite the premium price.

Even though I do have two in my possesion.

So a bit of a catch 22 situation, although I do feel this particular episode was a major set back for British OHLE modelling.

Or it might just be photoshopped. Hornby not known for the accuracy of their illustrations........which as you have just pointed out is an issue. Do you really know what you are getting so you can ordering advance?

Was it only me who noticed in message number 1 in this thread that  2014 Product Announcements was spelt 'annoucements'  on what looks like a catalogue front page?

I used to be a bit surprised by the photo-editing errors by Hornby, deranged valve gear on a Princess, until I learned that many of the people who prepare these pics are only faintly aware of some details. Like wheel spokes... or spelling,    ....  maybe it's some sort of joke?  Or I am getting old.

Me nit-picking again, there is at least one weathered highly detailed engine in the 2014 lineup.... 

>>R3250 - BR “Flying Scotsman” Class A3 Circa 1984 – Royal Duties
In 1984 4472 hauled the Royal Train containing Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Note the white cab roof, the only time that this locomotive had such a distinctive addition to its livery.
Locomotive DCC Ready . 5 pole skew wound motor. Extensive exterior and cab detail. Sprung buffers. Special Edition NRM packaging format. Pack celebrating 50 years of Private Ownership. Locomotive heavily weathered.
RRP £128.75 (Estimate. TBC) Q:500<<

Heavily weathered,  on Royal Train Duties?

Dear oh dear oh dear....

• RMweb Premium

I wrote about this before but I wanted to give more thoughts.

In regards to the GWR WW1 Troop Train Pack, I think that Hornby genuinely thought that it was being historically accurate with that train pack and simply was not aware about the coaches being in the 1922-1927 livery (probably used them because they have used them in the past).

The way I see it, there are three options for Hornby:

1) Do nothing and release the train pack as is: There would be an outcry for the minority of people (i.e RMWeb) who do know that the coaches are not the correct livery for the time period. However, most people who bought the train pack probably wouldn't know or care about the difference and the ones that do know have the option of changing it themselves (by adding lining and an insignia to 4050 Princess Alice). To be fair, most people who buy the model locos do not care about the accuracy, only if it looks good on the layout. Again, I say that Hornby did put some effort into making this train pack historically accurate with the unlined green livery & painted over safety valve on 4050 Princess Alice.

2) Change the livery of the coaches to the correct 'crimson lake' livery: This would probably be the costliest option for Hornby because this would be new printed sides for all the coaches in the train pack. There has never been a RTR release of GWR coaches in the 1912-1922 Crimson Lake livery and is a little more narrow scoped compared to the other GWR time periods (simply because the coaches are not chocolate and cream). There are a few GWR locos that meet this time period (the Hornby County 4-4-0 for example). However, if the change to crimson lake is done and is popular enough, that particular livery could be explored with more releases of RTR coaches in the future.

3) Re-market the train pack to make it more historically accurate: Apart from option 1, this would be the next easiest thing for Hornby to do. All they would have to do to add lining and the Garter crest* or Coat of Arms (like Lode Star) to make Princess Alice into a 1920s Star. The coaches already in the picture in the train pack went from 1922 to 1927 in that particular livery. Or just take the Lode Star model and add Princess Alice plates to it. This option gives the most synergy because Hornby already have the coaches and have used the lining on other Star models. This is also more marketable than the crimson lake livery because GWR people probably already have at least one of those clerestory coaches and Hornby have done the GREAT WESTERN livery on other locos (Tintagel Castle, 61xx, Lode Star, etc). If re-marketed, the train pack could be about the "romantic twenties/zenith of British steam"

If Hornby goes with Option 1, I would be disappointed but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

* I could be wrong, GWR experts please share your knowledge and let me know if I'm on the right track.

Apologies if these sentiments have already been echoed in this thread but I don't currently have the time to read through the 9 additional pages that have appeared since I last looked in!!

For a company that has had significant supply chain problems this year, it is encouraging to see that their development budget still appears to be healthy. This is usually the first area of a business to suffer in difficult times. I just hope now, that Hornby can deliver on all of these new models in addition to the 2013 releases pushed into 2014! Either of these two subsets of 'new releases' would be a challenge in their own right, but combining all of these new 2014 models (particularly the 'new tool' items) PLUS those items not delivered in 2013 seems like quite a 'big ask' to me unless there is a significant change in their supplier base.

I really hope they make it work.

Perhaps they should take the Bachmann approach and look at a two year release window? Well, lets face it, they pretty much do that most years anyway!

There are many items of interest to me in today's announcement, both Steam and Diesel 'era'.

I am surprised but pleased that they haven't ignored western region steam in the coming months. With the tanks and the Star in 2013 I expected there to be little or nothing in 2014. I'm also actually glad that they haven't announced a re-tool of the King! This justifies my fairly recent purchase of R2530 with a view to a bit of fettling!

I'm liking the look of the Colas Class 56 but a bit disappointed in the rest of the D&E offerings. No new tools but i guess we are still waiting for the Sentinels (which don't really appeal to me) and in particular I had hoped that we might see some 'new' liveries on the Class 67 other than the very bland Arriva blue which is identical to the existing model other than the running number and the royal train loco. Both of these must have fairly limited appeal? Surely another EWS livery, with the printing errors on the original release corrected (plus all the QC issues corrected!) or another DBS livery would have sold in bigger numbers? Maybe their current suppliers don't have the capability for the printing/painting on the 'ribbed' side panels of this loco?

Thanks to Andy Y for all the work in putting the list together! Much easier to read through than the Hornby website!

Really pleased with the K1 as a North East modeller. I really like the J15 but as a NE modeller in his 30's I did not witness these working first hand. Any of you guys know if any of them worked a bit further north??

Surprisingly, a couple of J15's worked on the GWR from 1957-1958 on the Princess Risborough to Watlington branch - but otherwise it was all East Anglia, I'm afraid.  I can find no record of any working any further north.

Was it only me who noticed in message number 1 in this thread that  2014 Product Announcements was spelt 'annoucements'  on what looks like a catalogue front page?

I used to be a bit surprised by the photo-editing errors by Hornby, deranged valve gear on a Princess, until I learned that many of the people who prepare these pics are only faintly aware of some details. Like wheel spokes... or spelling,    ....  maybe it's some sort of joke?  Or I am getting old.

My apologies for the typo; it had been a very long day. :)

Archived