2014 Hornby Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

For steam loco's I thought France just counted axles instead of wheels-eg 2-3-1 for a Pacific.

As in Honegger's piece of music "Pacific 231"

. I think the Swiss count powered axles followed by total axles? Wiki isn't very clear on this.

Ed

Like this example from Hattons:

http://www.ehattons.com/38989/LGB_22405_RHB_Ge_6_6_Crocodile_electric_locomotive_415_in_Rhaetian_Bahn_green/StockDetail.aspx

(6 axles - 6 powered axles)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The locomotives were not all filthy black. I remember seeing a BR green airsmoothed Bulleid Pacific hauling the Golden Arrow in the mid 1950s through Orpington Station. The locomotive and coaches were immaculate. I expect the other regions had some prestige trains that were also immaculate. I agree that most engines had a layer of grime on them in BR days.

I too remember some clean green engines

Castles and Kings on the Paddington - Wolves - Birkenhead service for instance (no doubt on the West of England services as well!), where the green always looked more "green" than it did on the LM Jubilees for instance.

Keith

R2260 Manston from about 10 years ago.

attachicon.gifIMG_8140.JPG

I would be prepared to Pay £200 or kill for this model! I've seen the real one so often at Swanage! Unfortunately, I just don't have the money when one comes up on the market!

I appreciate what the description says but the pictures look like they are of a less detailed model - for example the three lamp/disc holders above the buffer beam are missing. There could be changes to the tooling and still meet the description so we will have to wait and see, although the pricing does indeed suggest a full fat model. 750 are being produced, at a price of £125.00 to Club members and £157.49 to non-members.

I've just seen the pic you refer to, on the cover of the CC mag. two things. first the pic is of the previous Manston release with cut-down tender. either it was photoshopped, or the model in question had had these bits lost with handling.

Second, the side profile pic in the mag shows the lamp irons fitted.

so nothing to worry about I think

I would be prepared to Pay £200 or kill for this model! I've seen it so often at Swanage! Unfortunately, I just don't have the money when one comes up on the market!

Meaning that you do have it sometimes? Then why not put it aside for next time it comes up? Or try the kill option  :O

Ed

Meaning that you do have it sometimes? Then why not put it aside for next time it comes up? Or try the kill option  :O

Ed

I've just realised that my OP makes no sense! I've seen the Real one at Swanage so many times, I'd love to get the model. But whenever one of the models comes up for sale, I don't have the money to buy it!

I've just realised that my OP makes no sense! I've seen the Real one at Swanage so many times, I'd love to get the model. But whenever one of the models comes up for sale, I don't have the money to buy it!

You may find it cheaper to buy another Bulleid light Pacific with a late crest and a cut down tender then renumber and rename it. Having said that an R2260 Manston would be a good investment if you have got £175 to spare.

Thank you. I have stored most of my locomotives in the loft as that is the only place with enough room to store them. I have noticed that the pony trucks on my Golden Eagle and Flying Scotsman have changed from black to a metallic grey colour.

I appreciate that this may have been covered elsewhere, but can anyone give me the reason why the "Thomas the Tank Engine" items no longer appear within the Hornby range.

Still listed on Hornby's website, albeit what appears to be a reduced range at present:

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/locomotives/thomas-and-friends-locomotives/

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/sets/thomas-and-friends-train-sets/

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/rolling-stock/thomas-and-friends-rolling-stock/

I appreciate that this may have been covered elsewhere, but can anyone give me the reason why the "Thomas the Tank Engine" items no longer appear within the Hornby range.

Two possible reasons :

1] Cost of license renewal

2] Lack of sales

or possibly lack of interest on Hornbys part   

Until the 60th edition of the Hornby Catalogue 2014 comes out on 19 January I don't see how anyone knows what has been deleted. I often find what has been deleted as interesting as the new products. According to the topic Hornby Hobbies Ltd - 2013 Product Delays and Modelzone Announcements R350 Percy and R351 Thomas were among the items delayed until 2014.

As a retailer, I have received an advance copy of the catalogue to facilitate assembling my 2014 order, and there is definitely no 'Thomas the Tank Engine items shown.

A quick search on the trade website for "Thomas" and "Percy" shows no items listed either.

......can anyone give me the reason why the "Thomas the Tank Engine" items no longer appear within the Hornby range.

It could be a combination of factors?

The "Thomas" thing has run its course v.v. train sets.

The demise of the train-set, as a popular child's toy.

The cost of the license fee set against poor sales.

There also seems to be more focus on "Thomas" themed toys aimed more appropriately at the target age group (3-5?).

Word on Hornby's own web forum is that Hornby have almost completely sold out of current Thomas stock, and don't currently have plans to do another manufacturing run.

Without inside information it's impossible to know their future plans for the range, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've concluded it's no longer cost-effective. Hornby have had the Thomas brand licence for several years, dating back to before the brand was bought from Britt Allcroft by HIT Entertainment, and a lot has changed since then. According to acquaintances in the heritage railway community, HIT significantly increased the amount they charge to preserved railways for the right to do Thomas themed days, so it wouldn't be surprising if Hornby's licence fee for using the brand went up as well. HIT itself has now been taken over by Mattel, who are a toy manufacturer in their own right as well as now owning several production companies making children's TV programmes, so it's possible that Mattel would prefer not to licence the brand to another manufacturer. The Thomas products currently on sale on the Argos website are all made by Mattel-owned brands.

I would suggest getting a Bachmann OO Thomas loco and coaches, Bachmann has the license for Thomas in North America and their OO Thomas is more accurate to the one in the series, (plus has moving eyes,) and Annie and Clarabelle are correct, as well. Easy enough to buy on eBay in the States as well as any otehr retailer. 

Reading the info in one of the February mags - and checking it on Hornby's website - it appears there are some fictious Shunters Trucks lined up for 2014 with one labelled 'Laira Truro Goods and another labelled 'Hallams Marsh' (BR numbered but - again - incorrect livery colour) and there is also one for 'Cheltenham' which might well be accurate.  I can't make head or tail of 'Laira Truro Goods' because it ought to be one place or the other and I presume that 'Hallams Marsh' might be a corruption of Hallen Marsh.

what about the 'margate' shunter :triniti:  :triniti:

Archived