Lidl display cabinets now on sale

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if this in wrong place, but just to let collectors know Lidl have currently two display cabinets for sale. These are ideal for railways or buses. There is a small one for £29.99 and the larger one at £59.99. There are discounts if you buy more than one. Be warned the large one is really a two man job to get it in the car. Bought one of each.they are self assembly, but looks a good way of displaying models without spending a fortune. If you go to Lidl website and type in Collectors display cabinets you should see them

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Thanks for the information, any Photos by chance?

Regards

David

Beyond me David, besides haven't built them yet! But try looking up lidl website under "our offers". Livarno display cabinets. They have pics there

I don't think those thin glass shelves would take the weight of a couple of my 7mm locos (1kg + each....).

I don't think they would fit either. They look rather small units to me and a little "cheap and nasty" much as would be expected from Lidl. I'll pass until something a bit more substantial and elegant comes along.

Practical review of the smaller cabinets.

The units are well finished, particularly bearing in mind an equivalent size from one of the well known cabinet suppliers will cost 4 times as much.

The shelf height is adjustable and the 5 shelves provided are 540mm x 140 mm x 3.5mm thick tempered glass. The cabinets go together Ikea style (not a plus point for some folks perhaps) ,though all the fixtures and fittings are better presented, being in a blister pack on a card with part numbers to identify them. Clear pictorial instructions. The only reservation I have is that the illustrations show the cabinet hanging from the two mounting brackets supplied, I am definitely going to fit two more underneath!  

As a test I have just placed a 1kg bag of sugar in the centre of a shelf with no discernable deflection whatsoever. I'm sure that most "O" gauge loco's short enough to fit (less than a scale 77ft) will have their load distributed, not all in the centre of the shelf as in my test, so there should be no problem with the shelves taking the weight. The problem may be finding a wall strong enough in modern houses! 

Phil Traxson

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 4

Bought Dad a small one last year for his Eddie Stobart lorries. Certainly I would not describe them as nasty, cheap yes like a lot of stuff in Lidl but equally of pretty good quality. You easily pay twice for most of the stuff they sell elsewhere but that does not seem to sunk into the nations comedians . As for the large cabinet recall someone last year having used it mounted firmly on the floor as a way of getting round strength of wall issues!

• Like 1

hmmm time to pop to Lidl then!

EDIT:

I've just "popped" there ... and now opened to check the contents which all look very sound and solid. I went for the smaller one; I didn;t think I'd be able to carry the larger one or, more importantly, justify it's existance at home. The boss seems to have accepted the small one (phew)... so I'll pop it togther tonight and see how it looks then.

I'd just built a top extension to a book case to display some stuff on it, but now this can perch on that and attach to the wall... fingers crossed.

Jon

Edited by Jon020

I have two here one with my 00 EWS collection

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I think that you posting this image has been very useful... it's given the small cabinet "a scale" we can understand. Thanks for that. On measuring mine, I'll just get the Cravens DMU across one shelf with a little room at either end... which is nice.

• RMweb Premium

Would it be possible to post the inernal dimensions of the cabinet.  I'm looking for womehere to display some US O scale which is quite large.  I can see that the height/separation of the shelves can be varied but I'm interested in the length and depth.   Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

Would it be possible to post the inernal dimensions of the cabinet.  I'm looking for womehere to display some US O scale which is quite large.  I can see that the height/separation of the shelves can be varied but I'm interested in the length and depth.   Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

Judging from the bits (not assembled yet) 54.5cm wide, 42cm tall (approx) and 14.5cm deep.

Jon

Jamie

The shelves are 540mm x 140mm. Overall internal measurements are as Jon writes above.

Phil Traxson

Edited by Phil Traxson

• RMweb Premium

I don't think they would fit either. They look rather small units to me and a little "cheap and nasty" much as would be expected from Lidl. I'll pass until something a bit more substantial and elegant comes along.

Take it you have been to your local Lidl in downtown Wokingham to check them out!

Eltel

Take it you have been to your local Lidl in downtown Wokingham to check them out!

Eltel

Not the Wokingham store - I might be seen there and folk could get the wrong impression, but the occasional look in at the Crowthorne store just reminds me how the other half live ;)

Oh and just because I think the appearance is nasty and cheap looking (confirmed by the price - and because I can afford better looking and quality units does not make that opinion any less valid. It is down to each consumer at the end of the day and what suits their pocket and wall space. My tastes in furniture are evidently different.

Edited by Kenton

They certainly are not cheap and nasty and there are TWO sizes. The larger one can easily take 00 scale locos and comes with ten shelves. O gauge is always going to be a problem because of the weight. At £59.99 you will go a very very long way to get any miles/a lot better