Lidl display cabinets now on sale

• RMweb Premium

The Boss asked a nice lady who used a stockroom trolley to trundle it through the tills to the car. I watched on very impressed while the ladies lugged it into the car.

Getting it to car would have tricky but possible. Fixing it to a timber shed wall while reaching over 2' of Buckingham was more than I cared to consider. Even if I had been able to get it over the layout to the wall, I didn't want to risk the consequences of me making a hash of the wall mountings.

In my mind was a big crash in the middle of the night with the layout demolished and my locos and stock spread all over the floor.

So I chickened out!

Edited by t-b-g

The Boss asked a nice lady who used a stockroom trolley to trundle it through the tills to the car. I watched on very impressed while the ladies lugged it into the car.

SWMBO bought me one for Christmas while I was at work. She asked for some help and a Polish lady from the stockroom carried it to the car. As mentioned earlier, it took both SWMBO and me to carry it from the car into the house. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The main weight is from the glass doors and shelves.

It should be* easier to fix the carcass to the wall before putting the shelves in and the fixing the doors on. (* "should be" but I haven't opened the box yet. That's going to be part of my Christmas fun.)

Then you'd just have to be careful when adding the shelves and watch for early warning signs that your fixings were giving way...

:smileclear:

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

Another exit would mean another member of staff, because unfortunately there are members of our society who are not above picking up an item and trying to leg it out of the store.

And another member of staff means our £49 display case would cost £59.

Whilst I understand and take your point, the other 'big players' seem to be able to offer customers an easy exit from the store when they haven't purchased, as do many other non grocery retailers.

It may also be argued that most shoplifts are odd items, not shopping trolleys full of goods, and if one less honest person was to do such a thing, they'd do it concealed within a coat (for example) regardless of having a direct path to exit or not.

I just feel that the benefits are outweighed by the inconvenience and feeling of imprisonment and awkwardness to potential customers 

• Like 1

Re a couple of the above postings I struggle with the concept of someone not buying anything - unfortunately due to a food allergy I can no longer buy them but no trip to Lidl went without buying a apple turnover or Danish pastry and now they have stocks of said allergy free food Way off topic but I am 110% certain their Chicken Breasts are the same as supplied to Waitrose.

• RMweb Premium

Re a couple of the above postings I struggle with the concept of someone not buying anything - unfortunately due to a food allergy I can no longer buy them but no trip to Lidl went without buying a apple turnover or Danish pastry and now they have stocks of said allergy free food Way off topic but I am 110% certain their Chicken Breasts are the same as supplied to Waitrose.

This is going miles and miles off topic, for which I sincerely apologise for leading it that way, but why do you struggle with the concept of someone walking into a shop but not buying anything?

Edited by Foden

The main weight is from the glass doors and shelves.

It should be* easier to fix the carcass to the wall before putting the shelves in and the fixing the doors on. (* "should be" but I haven't opened the box yet. That's going to be part of my Christmas fun.)

Then you'd just have to be careful when adding the shelves and watch for early warning signs that your fixings were giving way...

:smileclear:

I start off by marking and drilling the wall and mounting the back panel (on its own) using all 4 holes to start with, then once the unit is assembled its just a question of getting one screw in to support most of the weight while the others are lined up and fitted, much easier than trying to support the whole carcass while the holes are marked.

I learnt that the hard way!

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I understand and take your point, the other 'big players' seem to be able to offer customers an easy exit from the store when they haven't purchased, as do many other non grocery retailers.

You may be right.

Just try buying a display case from one of the "other players" at any price let alone £49.

The point is that Lidl and Aldi are able to operate at generally lower prices by having (amongst others) fewer staff - and with fewer staff come other inconveniences - maybe you have to queue a bit longer and maybe if you have purchased nothing you have to pass through a manned till.  It is their model.  Those that don't like it don't buy there. 

Just been observing this thread for a few days now and seeing people debating about wall hanging , makes me ask is it really necessary to hang them from wall. I've got 3 of these cases which I'm very pleased with and simply have them on the floor against the wall in my railway room (study). I  find it handy to place models on the top  of the display case  there for a moment when I change over engines , stock  etc.   Is it the difference due to  some people wanting to store/display models for running and others more interested in the display only  aspect.  BTW visitors who've been impressed with my collection have never found any difficulty admiring models in the cases on the floor.

This is going miles and miles off topic, for which I sincerely apologise for leading it that way, but why do you struggle with the concept of someone walking into a shop but not buying anything?

I do this all the time. WH Smiths, railway section. It's not as bad as perceived, because if something takes my interest in a mag then I'll buy it.

Back on topic, tomorrow has been reserved for affixing recently-acquired Lidl Display Case to train room wall, just glad it's not studs and plasterboard in here 'cos as everyone agrees, the thing weighs a bloody ton!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have the exact same problem on my Lidl cabinet from 5 or 6 years ago. Over the past few months the black plastic part of the hinges has been shattering and bits falling inside the cabinet. I am wondering where to get suitable replacement hinges?

Despite this I might still buy a second one this year if I can still find one, maybe there are supplier contact details inside to buy some new hinges.

• Like 1

post-25305-0-71987200-1545474314.jpg

Yes, I have the exact same problem on my Lidl cabinet from 5 or 6 years ago. Over the past few months the black plastic part of the hinges has been shattering and bits falling inside the cabinet. I am wondering where to get suitable replacement hinges?

Despite this I might still buy a second one this year if I can still find one, maybe there are supplier contact details inside to buy some new hinges.

I contacted Lidl customer service and they referred me to Optimex in Germany their reply was:

"This item or spare parts for  this item are no longer available. So we can not offer replacement hinges."

The closest hinges I've found are Hafele glass door hinges cat no 361.71.338 but these are very tight on the glass edge and needed at least 0.5mm filed of the casting (at the weakest point)

Also 3 of these cost over £16 with postage so a set of replacement hinges is over half the price of a complete cabinet. 

I wonder if the failure is some form of metal fatigue over time as the hinge is actually under stress even when closed .

If anyone is interested I have two wrapped units in my Garage 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2018 at 20:55, Scottish-Exile said:

Your annual reminder that these went on sale again at Lidl today. Usually only available for 2 or 3 weeks before Christmas so be quick if you need one.

Cheaper this year too at £49. They were £59 last year.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=18487

post-22167-0-48095000-1543784123_thumb.jpg

Hi, me again with your annual reminder that the Lidl cabinets will be in store from 15th December.

Price held from last year at £49.99.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, sharris said:

Don't give yourself a hernia!

I've got Eddie Hall over to give me a hand.

Bit of a bonus really, because after effortlessly placing all three in the back of the Land Rover in one go, he'll pull the car home and save me the fuel to boot!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Hello,

As a matter of interest regarding hinge failure. How come new cabinets are available but not spare hinges? Surely hinges must be available for them to sell new cabinets in December every year.

Maybe a collective response to Lidl would elicit a positive reply.

trustytrev.:)

• Like 1