Lidl display cabinets now on sale

Hello,

It is a lot easier and less hazardous to mount the back panel to the wall on it's own and assemble the rest to it.

Lifting and holding the fully assembled item while drilling mounting holes is likely to end in tears and/or a visit to casualty.

trustytrev.:)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, trustytrev said:

Hello,

It is a lot easier and less hazardous to mount the back panel to the wall on it's own and assemble the rest to it.

Lifting and holding the fully assembled item while drilling mounting holes is likely to end in tears and/or a visit to casualty.

And I think I’ll be using this method with my next ones!

The one I’ve just done was mounted built but without the glass shelves. Still took two people holding and one drilling/screwing (no dirty euphemisms intended).

• Like 1

When I built mine, it was over the worktop, so I stacked up enough large books and magazines to take some of the weight while screwing the back panel to the wall. I only had about 25cm to make up - I wouldn't recommend a book stack from the floor!

Edited by sharris
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2020 at 01:29, trustytrev said:

Hello,

Another way would be to mark and drill the wall using the back panel only, then build the carcass on the floor (or wherever) and hang on the wall when done.  Add doors and shelves once hung on the wall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

That is a brilliant light show, what have you used, and how? I need to copy!!!

I used these from amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00SA12GRQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I used two packs, they come with little sticky back pads or little screw in brackets, whichever you prefer. I routed the cables down the sides, then I’ll need to drill a couple of holes in the bottom to pass the cables through.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Couldn’t resist loading it up :senile:

6FB4E978-9AB7-4DBB-81F2-E60C7F216F3B.jpeg

Looks really good, but made my mind up......not big enough, for some reason I envisaged a Loco and at least a few carriages on each shelf, and I’m not going back to 2mm just for a cabinet........:D

Seriously though brilliant for a Loco collection :good_mini:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

...not big enough, for some reason I envisaged a Loco and at least a few carriages on each shelf...

You could always go pre-grouping - I bet you could get a loco and a fair number of Victorian 4- or 6- wheelers on a shelf 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Foden, we managed to swop cabinets over just after new year, he took my wood one and I took his white one. Already up on the wall and filling up nicely. 

now, if anyone else would like to swop, I have one more of the new wood ones and would like a white one instead. please PM me if interested. 

Unfortunately Lidl only offered white in Northern Ireland in 2019 it seems. 

• Like 2

On 12/01/2020 at 10:53, boxbrownie said:

Looks really good, but made my mind up......not big enough, for some reason I envisaged a Loco and at least a few carriages on each shelf, and I’m not going back to 2mm just for a cabinet........:D

Seriously though brilliant for a Loco collection :good_mini:

Hello,

You could get two and butt them up together with the side glass left out in the middle where they meet. Just need to trim the bottom shelf on both and they sit together nicely. Run a bead of silicone down the join and jobs a good un.

Edited by trustytrev
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, trustytrev said:

Hello,

You could get two and butt them up together with the side glass left out in the middle where they meet. Just need to trim the bottom shelf on both and they sit together nicely. Run a bead of silicone down the join and jobs a good un.

Might work, but that’s the wrong word.....I don’t work anymore, I need everything handed to me on a silver platter, ready to go......:D

• Like 1

Not the display cabinet, but today I offered SWMBO that I would do the Lidl shopping...

Not entirely out of altruism- I thought it was cheap soldering iron and rotary tools week! Anyway, apparently not, but my Lidl (Wimbledon) was doing furniture and I noticed they had a Livarno sewing machine table for ~£50 that might equally well function as a cheap modelling bench.

http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pdXdi/

Note: this usually seems to be an October offer so I don't know if my Lidl was just clearing old stock.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2020 at 04:41, amwells said:

Thanks to Foden, we managed to swop cabinets over just after new year, he took my wood one and I took his white one. Already up on the wall and filling up nicely. 

now, if anyone else would like to swop, I have one more of the new wood ones and would like a white one instead. please PM me if interested. 

Unfortunately Lidl only offered white in Northern Ireland in 2019 it seems. 

Good to meet you buddy, glad your cabinet is up and filling up!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Out of interest, I purchased a display cabinet from Amazon for £39.00. Quick delivery and seems quite sturdy. Its made from plywood which is easy enough to stain/paint. Maybe not as good looking as the Lidl one, but adequate for my needs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0767GGT9X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2VYSWII90SZ2A&psc=1

I stained it with Colron woodstain (Jacobean Oak I believe), and lined it with green felt I had from a purchase off Ebay I made a couple of years ago.

Ian

20200306_065906_resized.jpg

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Don’t forget there are a lot of containers stuck on vessels outside uk ports, or diverted and sat in Rotterdam at the moment. This is a assuming they haven’t been held at factory’s due to the silly level of costs (shipping a container from Asia in November was £2100, now £7000 and counting).

This is impacting all retailers great and small in a even handed way at the moment with shipments up to 3 weeks late and counting.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...

Did anyone ever come up with suitable replacement hinges for these cases? I have had at least 3 go ping on my two cabinets. Fortunately no more than one on each door but I don’t trust them and could do with replacing them for peace of mind.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/12/2020 at 06:12, Jonboy said:

Don’t forget there are a lot of containers stuck on vessels outside uk ports, or diverted and sat in Rotterdam at the moment. This is a assuming they haven’t been held at factory’s due to the silly level of costs (shipping a container from Asia in November was £2100, now £7000 and counting).

This is impacting all retailers great and small in a even handed way at the moment with shipments up to 3 weeks late and counting.

Hope there are no model locos on that Evergreen ship that blocked the Suez. The Egyptians have impounded it until a massive bill for £1Bn is paid.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Did anyone ever come up with suitable replacement hinges for these cases? I have had at least 3 go ping on my two cabinets. Fortunately no more than one on each door but I don’t trust them and could do with replacing them for peace of mind.

Try Lidls service dept especially if they are less than 3 years old as they will be under warrenty,

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/04/2021 at 14:37, Joseph_Pestell said:

Hope there are no model locos on that Evergreen ship that blocked the Suez. The Egyptians have impounded it until a massive bill for £1Bn is paid.

Dapol have said they have some - 7mm Class 121s?

• Informative/Useful 1