LED Platform lighting

danphi11ips

Good Evening,

I am currently looking for some modern style platform lights which have to be LED and ideally 12V. Could anyone advise me on any particular websites that are good value and still look good. I saw many at Warley at the NEC and regret buying them there and then. I have found the Layouts4U page but they don't have many LED lights.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Veissman: Really? REALLY!!?? Kind of like DCC Concepts: Magnificent, I have no doubt, but lost on anything more than 2 ft long.

How small is your layout, or how much of Devon do you own? On that subject, Kytes are better but still not what I'd call suitable to fill anything more than a diorama.

These people are excellent. I've ordered from them 4 or 5 times now, well over 100 posts on the layout and I don't owe Big Steve down the local my kidneys to pay for them. http://www.hezhiqing.com

Many many lamp posts

Mostly they're on ebay, but you can order direct from the website. Acceptable security if PayPal's involved. The enamaled wire options for SMD and 3mm LEDs have been wonderfully useful under a large station canopy too.

• 3 months later...

I've clearly come to this  very late in the day but the following could be useful even if it means waiting till next Christmas.

Wilkinsons Stores (others are no doubt available) did a range of mains and/or battery powered Christmas lights which were LEDs in a warm white colour which are eminently suitable to represent incandescent bulbs. Cannibalised  they cost less than 10p per LED, are 3mm nominal diameter and run at as little as 1ma produce a very lifelike result. In buildings 3 connected in series (their forward voltage drop is around 2.5V) with a 4k7 resistor (tiny -1/8th watt will do) fed from 12v DC work fine, or for a single one in a signal box use 8k2 or 10k for a realistic warm glow.

The package is not the conventional domed LED format but cylindrical and amenable to being turned by spinning in the minidrill chuck against a coarse enery paper - I've succeded in replacing the bracket lamps on the side of the Bachmann GC station buildings although wiring is a bit hairy -literally as with such low currents it is possible to use very fine enamelled copper wire 48swg, or even smaller!

Oh and a note about polarity, all LEDs have the cathode (negative end) as the larger internal electrode although you may need a magnifying glass to see it.

Hoping to inspire.

Trevor

An (old) engineer who does for a tanner what others do for a bob!

Archived