Hornsey Broadway

Wibble

• RMweb Gold

I note that this has been 8 years in the making. Good things are worth waiting for, and the continuous line-up of viewers at Railex simply underwrote that fact. You walked in the door, there was Hornsey with admirers. Every time I got to the front things were working fine, although there was an army of operators, reflecting the complexity of the track-plan.

Those of us lucky enough to recall urban London with trip-working and exotic loco classes can truly be transported back a few decades by Hornsey. First rate stuff.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Another one who made the trip to Railex just to see this - and well worth it indeed.

Reminds me of a real slice of my earlier upbringing in London and in between watching the trains go by it was great to just take in all the detail captured.

Absolutely stunning :good:

.............................all that was missing were the diesel fumes and the raw cockney 'language' when the points failure occurred...................otherwise absolutely spot on in every respect!

I could have watched it all day....................but unfortunately my sciatica couldn't.................well worth the effort to see. Looking forward to the next opportunity.

Only just latched on to this thread. Outstanding.

I knew the ECML London end well from the mid 1960's through to the mid '70's (cos I lived near it), and then again for a few years in the 1980's when I worked at KGX. The colours and atmosphere are spot on. The views from outside the fence are entirely accurate in recollection, although I do recall rather more undergrowth and more fencing than is portrayed, but that could well be because I was rather shorter.....

Just one observation, should you wish to weather it further, is that it was a very, very damp stretch, and moss grew everywhere out of direct sunlight, as well as attempted tree/major bush encroachment. BR ER maintained the track and lineside well, extremely well compared to these days, but this did not extend necessarily to the retaining walls and the few embankment structures. I well remember having to walk down the line from Harringay in the late 1980's towards Ferme Park, to see for myself the dislodged/cracked brickwork for which the CE wanted the InterCity sector to fund renovation. As their Representative on Earth at the time, I had instructions to verify the problem. I nearly sh8t myself.

• Like 5

I echo everyone elses comments, fantastic layout, great atmosphere, superbly weathered and detailed Stockton and superb buildings. Could have stayed for hours watching the trains go by.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent layout I was another one who saw it at Railex Sunday I did like the short van train that flashed through

at breakneck speed much to the amusement of the crowd.  :biggrin_mini2:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely stunning layout, shame the railway its based on has changed out of all recognition and is just another featureless part of the modern network

• 1 month later...

G'Day Folks

Wasn't the most pleasant of smells when your down in a tunnel for seven hours, it seeped into your clothes, even your sandwiches tasted funny.

manna

It's hardly surprising when you consider at least 300 traction battery cells bubbling away in an enclosed space!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Me and a few mates spent the day by the lineside at Hornsey Broadway, and Paul managed to get a few snaps. There's a few more taken on the day on the emgauge70s update this month. Not making much progress elsewhere, but enjoying playing trains!

attachicon.gifhornsey_pjpic-15.jpg

English Electric type 2 Baby Deltic D5905 trundles an engineers train back to the depot at Hitchin.

Just love your optimism, all the way to Hitchin?!!

Mike.

Just love your optimism, all the way to Hitchin?!!

Mike.

There was probably just as much chance as a Mirrlees Type 2. The baby deltics were nowhere near as unreliable as they were made out to be. The Hitchin crews loved them and always kept the cabs well swept and pristine. Many of the Hitchin ASLEF badges have baby deltic's on them like the one in my avatar.

• 5 months later...