Hornsey Broadway

Wibble

A new start for the new year is a 'long on the shelf' project - a rake of inner-suburban 57ft  'Block Enders' as used out of Moorgate / Kings Cross. There's nothing like a challenge set down between Paul J and myself, as he has decided to make a start on some Finsbury Park allocated Brush type 2s..... probably one class of loco which has been missing from the Hornsey Broadway roster for a long time. So to go with them, the challenge has inspired me to get moving with the sub's.

post-378-0-22843100-1546617652_thumb.jpg

The bodies are made up from some redundant Bachmann 2-EPB units, suitably shortened with a new blank end. This week has seen the start of some end detail, so hopefully the rake of S S S BS S S should be finished in time for the layout's next outing in June, as it's always good to show a selection of new stock whenever a show comes along. Now Paul, there's no getting out of your commitment either!!

• Like 16

Looking forward to seeing Hornsey Broadway at Burton in June as I used to live on the boarders of Hornsey and Finsbury park from the 1950s until the 1990s. Love the layout Kier.

SWMBO lived in the flats at Chettle Court, overlooking the ECML near Harringay station, during some of her formative years and she recounts the noisy trains keeping her awake at night. She describes it as a 'droning' sound. I am led to draw the conclusion that it would be emanating from 18 cylinders of Napier engine fitted to one (or more) of English Electric's finest.

I would have given my right arm........

• Like 2

Thanks chaps.... It'll be good to get these finished and running, and will keep you posted on progress.

When I lived at Potters Bar I vividly remember lying in bed at night listening to that 18 cylinder roar. With the wind in the right direction you could hear them heading north flat out as they exited PB Tunnel and by the time the station was reached the engines shut down after the long climb from Kings Cross, as they coasted towards Brookmans Park. Ahhhh, great memories. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A new start for the new year is a 'long on the shelf' project - a rake of inner-suburban 57ft  'Block Enders' as used out of Moorgate / Kings Cross. There's nothing like a challenge set down between Paul J and myself, as he has decided to make a start on some Finsbury Park allocated Brush type 2s..... probably one class of loco which has been missing from the Hornsey Broadway roster for a long time. So to go with them, the challenge has inspired me to get moving with the sub's.

attachicon.gifhornsey_suburbans011.jpg

The bodies are made up from some redundant Bachmann 2-EPB units, suitably shortened with a new blank end. This week has seen the start of some end detail, so hopefully the rake of S S S BS S S should be finished in time for the layout's next outing in June, as it's always good to show a selection of new stock whenever a show comes along. Now Paul, there's no getting out of your commitment either!!

Hi Kier,

Have you gone for the EPB stock to make the non-gangway coaches for the flush glazing? It is the lack of flush glazing that lets down the Bachman models.

Hi Clive, For me it's more to do with consistency, as well as the flush glazing. Bachmann's mark 1 sub's are probably the oldest model in their range and the chassis in particular is very clunky. With the likes of replacement BG underframes from Replica, I think a much better result can be achieved. They will also have better compatibility with my class 501s (also made from 2-EPBs). I'm not a big fan of Laserglaze on multiple windowed coaching stock, as each pane needs to be fitted square, otherwise the reflected light highlights any discrepancy. Saying that, Laserglaze works well for loco cabs. I've probably made a rod for my own back with the extra work required, especially with the detail required on the coach ends, but as with most things trainsetty, it's all about the fun of doing it and enjoying the end results.  

Edited by Wibble
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing Hornsey Broadway at Burton in June as I used to live on the boarders of Hornsey and Finsbury park from the 1950s until the 1990s. Love the layout Kier.

Yep, really looking forward to seeing the layout at DEMU's ShowCase exhibition in Burton-on-Trent. Not only does it tick all the boxes for me but is well observed, highly accomplished, and beautifully modelled.

G. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Clive, For me it's more to do with consistency, as well as the flush glazing. Bachmann's mark 1 sub's are probably the oldest model in their range and the chassis in particular is very clunky. With the likes of replacement BG underframes from Replica, I think a much better result can be achieved. They will also have better compatibility with my class 501s (also made from 2-EPBs). I'm not a big fan of Laserglaze on multiple windowed coaching stock, as each pane needs to be fitted square, otherwise the reflected light highlights any discrepancy. Saying that, Laserglaze works well for loco cabs. I've probably made a rod for my own back with the extra work required, especially with the detail required on the coach ends, but as with most things trainsetty, it's all about the fun of doing it and enjoying the end results.  

Hi Kier,

I take it you are aware of the detailed notes in the Yahoo BR Coaching Stock Group specifically about the Mk1 suburbans? I found it immensely useful when doing my suburbans.

Jeff

SWMBO lived in the flats at Chettle Court, overlooking the ECML near Harringay station, during some of her formative years and she recounts the noisy trains keeping her awake at night. She describes it as a 'droning' sound. I am led to draw the conclusion that it would be emanating from 18 cylinders of Napier engine fitted to one (or more) of English Electric's finest.

I would have given my right arm........

Spent many days up on the hill overlooking the station in the 1980s.

• RMweb Premium

Yes good stuff. I was a regular platform-ender at the Cross when those suburbans were the norm and the drone of a Deltic presaged the departure of something bound for far away.

I lived in the parallel roads of Harringay for a short time in 78-9 but by that time the suburbans were electric and the first HSTs had appeared. We did have some unusual daytime sightings however as this was also the era of the Penmanshiel Tunnel diversions which often resulted in the up sleepers appearing not at daybreak but in the midst of the morning peak. And often behind a Gateshead 46 if memory serves me rightly.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kier Hardy said:

As promised, here's an update on the sub's. I had a look around the works yard behind the Hornsey Workshops and came across some Bachmann 57ft chassis which are now fitted to the S variants. Test running (and propelling) through all the pointwork, crossings and 3ft curves has proved successful, so there's just some final detail work and numbering to complete.

hornsey_suburbans019.jpg.ef76b946586345c3a405e68470b3492a.jpg 

hornsey_suburbans021.jpg.2744082fab6cff739e31fd756b8e5823.jpg

what a great layout!.....will it be a Alley Palley this year?

B

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hello All,  It's been a while since the last update, so thought I'd share this image with you after Greg's visiting WD 2-8-0 was in charge of a coal train storming the 1:80 gradient in the direction of East London. There's a bit of image manipulation to give the impression of it working - not everyone's cup of tea!

shenston_steam90445.jpg.17a4fa0b17c530bd500b3a10d51f5f93.jpg

The next few weeks will be spent getting the trainset ready for exhibiting at DEMU Showcase in Swadlincote on the 1st & 2nd of June. Don't worry, the above working won't be repeated at DEMU

Good job too, I ain't coming all that way for bloody kettles!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...