Hornsey Broadway

Wibble

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

The banner repeater signal on the Up Kings Cross main line started life as an MSE product, a spindle was fixed to the arm and rotates within the white metal housing. once fitted, the brass wire spindle is bent at 90 degrees and linked to another rod which is activated by the servo motor mounted behind the wall. In some ways it has been one of the easiest signals to produce, but would be a bit more difficult if gantry mounted. The colour light signal at the tunnel mouth is controlled by a rotary switch, so for the yellow and green aspects, another wafer of the switch is used to control the input to a Megapoints servo controller. Ill try and get a close up image of the signal later this week and post it here.

9 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Well, it's already later in the week, and despite the railway room being in a state of disarray, the banner repeater signal was easily accessible. Here's a very close (and cruel) close up image showing the back of the signal.

hornsey_bannerback-01.jpg.4d1d934eeb4ea91f605aecef28200da0.jpg

Thanks Kier. That's pretty close to what I have in mind, albeit with the Bachmann moulding rather than MSE at this stage.

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I hope you're all well and finding plenty of time to get some modelling done during these strange times.

Put the kettle on, make yourself a cuppa and settle down somewhere comfortable, as we've put together a bumper edition for the emgauge70s May update, including a very well put together video by Andy Y.

I hope you enjoy the content (and the diversion, as there's nothing on telly worth watching) and stay safe.

Best wishes,

Kier

Click here for the May update  -   http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb167.html

Edited by Kier Hardy
Edited for clarity
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hello Everyone,

I hope you're all well and finding plenty of time to get some modelling done during these strange times.

Put the kettle on, make yourself a cuppa and settle down somewhere comfortable, as we've put together a bumper edition for May, including a very well put together video by Andy Y.

I hope you enjoy the content (and the diversion, as there's nothing on telly worth watching) and stay safe.

Best wishes,

Kier

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb167.html

Hi Kier, is this BRM? Will have to find somewhere that sells it online 

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Hi Kier, is this BRM? Will have to find somewhere that sells it online 

The Spring 2020 BRM which featured Hornsey Broadway has come and gone., but probably still available online no doubt.

I've edited my post for clarity, as it's to do with the May update on the website.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hello Everyone,

Put the kettle on, make yourself a cuppa and settle down somewhere comfortable, as we've put together a bumper edition for the emgauge70s May update, including a very well put together video by Andy Y.

Best wishes,

Kier

Click here for the May update  -   http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb167.html

Another fantastic update, your site is definitely THE site to go to for modelling inspiration! The wagon loads is great, would you know what the "acrylic paste" is that was used in the making of the spoil loads.

Also in the video there was a train formation that included two class 08's right in the middle, I was just interested o know what that would have been, would they have failed on a train or being taken to another depot? That's something I haven't seen and as I know you run realistic train formations just wondered what it was.

Many thanks for all your work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Fantastic to see more pics of Hornsey Broadway. It's such a great layout; the urban scene, the attention to detail, the consistency of finish, the evocation of the era, the variety of stock, . . . . all faithfully captured and depicted.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest Half-full

I've been following the emgauge70s website for a good few years now and I think it is the best, consistent, modelling on show in the UK.  Love the determination, if the guys want a particular model, then they do it, no groaning and grumbling.  Updating and upgrading old and new products, realistic weathering, realistic loads and best of all, for me, no retina destroying lights!

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Another fantastic update, your site is definitely THE site to go to for modelling inspiration! The wagon loads is great, would you know what the "acrylic paste" is that was used in the making of the spoil loads.

Also in the video there was a train formation that included two class 08's right in the middle, I was just interested o know what that would have been, would they have failed on a train or being taken to another depot? That's something I haven't seen and as I know you run realistic train formations just wondered what it was.

Many thanks for all your work.

Thank you for your kind comments. Although I've not used acrylic paste myself, it is a thick pasty white substance  that can produce a controlled textured surface, used for all kinds modelling and hobby applications. 

Class 08s in freight trains was a fairly common sight, especially if they had some distance to travel to and from works. It would usually involve removing the rods and de-meshing the traction motors to allow them to travel within a trip freight. This link from David Heys gives a bit more information -  http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page82.htm  

The 2 Class 08s used on Hornsey Broadway came about more by accident than design, as one loco fitted with Ultrascale replacement wheelsets suffered from slipped cranks. The plastic crank was glued back onto the axle (push fit normally) but this didn't last, so it was decided to use it in a freight train instead on its way to Stratford Works for remedial attention. It's not very often seen in model form due to the cost of locomotives versus wagons, but if you've got one that's fubared, or see a bargain with damaged rods on a well known auction site, then after stripping out the motor and selling that on, it's a cheap way of adding some variety to your fleet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for that Kier. The David Hays website looks like a mine of information, I'll have a look through that. The 08's in the train definitely add an extra bit if interest although there is plenty of that on Hornsey without any trains running. I watched the layout at Railex the other year and it was akin back to trainspotting days with the same feeling of anticipation of what will appear next. Great stuff! :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hello Everyone,

Best wishes,

Kier

Loved seeing the layout at Model Rail Scotland . Who could have believed 2 months later the place would be a Nightingale Hospital!  Anyway thanks for the pictures and You Tube link . A reminder of happier days for sure .  Can I ask on the Container Train where some of the containers came from , particularly the Manchester Liners ones at the end of the train?

Looking back over the last few weeks, we were lucky to have taken part in Model Rail Scotland, especially as parts of the world were starting to close down already. 

Here's a link to the freightliner page on emgauge70s, showing the 17 vehicle rake, with additional details on the containers themselves. Credit must go to Pete Johnson (Canada Street) who modified and built the containers to go on 10 of the Hornby flats. Transferred from Shenston Road to Hornsey Broadway came an additional 7 empty flats, all heavily modified and rebuilt by Greg Brookes. The last couple of wagons in this rake have been decorated with a 10ft freightliner container and 3 Manchester Liners containers.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_freightliner.html

manchester_liners01.jpg.b6e4e9dd64323dcb15cd77fb353e883e.jpg

I drew up this artwork on my computer and printed it out on glossy photo paper, then applied to the side of some shaved down Hornby 20ft boxes. 

I see that @jessy1692 has also recently produced some Manchester Liners containers on this thread, although I have my doubts that nothing other than 20ft boxes were used by the company. Worth a look anyway, as he's used transfers to achieve the end result.

I hope this is of help.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Looking back over the last few weeks, we were lucky to have taken part in Model Rail Scotland, especially as parts of the world were starting to close down already. 

Here's a link to the freightliner page on emgauge70s, showing the 17 vehicle rake, with additional details on the containers themselves. Credit must go to Pete Johnson (Canada Street) who modified and built the containers to go on 10 of the Hornby flats. Transferred from Shenston Road to Hornsey Broadway came an additional 7 empty flats, all heavily modified and rebuilt by Greg Brookes. The last couple of wagons in this rake have been decorated with a 10ft freightliner container and 3 Manchester Liners containers.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_freightliner.html

manchester_liners01.jpg.b6e4e9dd64323dcb15cd77fb353e883e.jpg

I drew up this artwork on my computer and printed it out on glossy photo paper, then applied to the side of some shaved down Hornby 20ft boxes. 

I see that @jessy1692 has also recently produced some Manchester Liners containers on this thread, although I have my doubts that nothing other than 20ft boxes were used by the company. Worth a look anyway, as he's used transfers to achieve the end result.

I hope this is of help.

Thanks for the mention Kier, it was thanks to you & @Gibbo675 that sent me down the container route. The ML transfers were drawn up on photoshop and then resized for cut down 20ft Hornby boxes. Not the most accurate nut theyll do, i need to add the grey stripe over the forklift holes still! I also did some for the standard 30ft Hornby ones in tribute to the original Hornby effort, but as you say, highly doubtful ML had 30ft boxes in reality. I also knocked up some OCL ones and Sainsburys Beef artwork to print on transfer paper, i have a few spares if any one is interested and more than happy to send on the artwork. @Darius43 also made up some artwork for the BP Tanktainers which add another level the Hornby originals.

Cheers for the mention, looking forward to seeing your group's layouts on the circuit again when we can. Very much the era im drawn to and of a top standard, huge inspiration for me over the last few years.

All the best

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Thanks for the mention Kier, it was thanks to you & @Gibbo675 that sent me down the container route. The ML transfers were drawn up on photoshop and then resized for cut down 20ft Hornby boxes. Not the most accurate nut theyll do, i need to add the grey stripe over the forklift holes still! I also did some for the standard 30ft Hornby ones in tribute to the original Hornby effort, but as you say, highly doubtful ML had 30ft boxes in reality. I also knocked up some OCL ones and Sainsburys Beef artwork to print on transfer paper, i have a few spares if any one is interested and more than happy to send on the artwork. @Darius43 also made up some artwork for the BP Tanktainers which add another level the Hornby originals.

Cheers for the mention, looking forward to seeing your group's layouts on the circuit again when we can. Very much the era im drawn to and of a top standard, huge inspiration for me over the last few years.

All the best

James

@jessy1692 and @Gibbo675. Great work on your Freightliner wagons and Containers. I found your threads about a month ago. I would be interested in the ML and OCL artwork and have sent you a PM.

@Kier HardyAs for Hornsey Broadway, I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but enjoy seeing the photos and updates. As @jessy1692 says above, a huge inspiration. Keep up the good work.

John

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Beautiful modelling Kier. Is the Class 74 the DC Kits one or is it a rebuiild of a Hornby or Dapol 71?

Hi Lloyd, It's a Silver Fox mid-body section with Hornby Class 71 cabs and heavily modified bogies and chassis. I cut off the Silver Fox cabs, as they didn't capture the shape quite right..... the A pillar appears too thick and the front curve to the cabs was too flat. probably a lot more work than intended, but the Hornby Class 71 cabs provided the best result, plus they already had good glazing to fit back in.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hi Lloyd, It's a Silver Fox mid-body section with Hornby Class 71 cabs and heavily modified bogies and chassis. I cut off the Silver Fox cabs, as they didn't capture the shape quite right..... the A pillar appears too thick and the front curve to the cabs was too flat. probably a lot more work than intended, but the Hornby Class 71 cabs provided the best result, plus they already had good glazing to fit back in.

I bought a DC Kits resin kit for a 74. I think it will fit a Heljan Hymek chassis. The worst kit I've come across so far is the Genesis class 74 kit. I did but a second hand 71 with a view to using the chassis with the DC Kits body but there are a lot of differences below the body.

15 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

I wonder if a class 74 ever came north of the Thames. I've seen photo's of a class 73 at KX Goods.

I seem to recall seeing pics of one at Acton. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1