Hornsey Broadway

Wibble

I've seen one at Hornsey Broadway  :wacko:

Here's one by Brian Daniels taken at Old Oak

74008 Old Oak

The Class 74 didn't have a great deal in common with the Class 71, apart from the latter being a donor. From the information I've gathered over the years, there was very little left of the original Class 71 when they emerged from Crewe Works.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

I've seen one at Hornsey Broadway  :wacko:

Here's one by Brian Daniels taken at Old Oak

74008 Old Oak

The Class 74 didn't have a great deal in common with the Class 71, apart from the latter being a donor. From the information I've gathered over the years, there was very little left of the original Class 71 when they emerged from Crewe Works.

I wasn't expecting to see an actual photograph of a loco with your initials in the headcode!  Excellent 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2020 at 20:36, Baby Deltic said:

I wonder if a class 74 ever came north of the Thames. I've seen photo's of a class 73 at KX Goods.

In the 1970s I was a ball boy at Chelsea and recall seeing several class 74s passing the back of Stamford Bridge on Cross London  freights alongside the more common 33s, 73s and 47s.

• Informative/Useful 3

There is a photo of a 74 at West Brompton in the West London Line book by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith. The caption says it is on an Acton to Wimbledon freight in August 73. It is  towing a brake tender as well as its load.

Martyn

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hello readers, I hope you're all keeping safe and warm. It's been a while since I last posted here, so thought the thread needed a bit of an update.

November, December and January were spent mostly on the new station extension baseboard, further details of which can be found on the emgauge70s website monthly updates. Here's a pic of progress so far.

hornsey_station-development40.jpg.b5e70bdd50199c770772aca3313e043a.jpg

The canopies have just been completed, so now I can turn my attention to lamp posts, 3rd rail, litter and passengers.

With the lack of social interaction of late, I've spent a bit of time putting together some videos on YouTube. The first two are of a recent running session (already posted in the Media section of RMweb) and the latest one this week is a virtual tour of the railway room. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Yjcv20Zqs&t=434s

Stay safe.... all the best, Kier

Hi Kier,

What a fantastic video of your railway room space...lot of jealous people after seeing that :lol:!

In all seriousness, fantastic modelling, always look forward to updates on the website or on here.

How big is your loco roster? Lot of stock required to fill that fiddle yard.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hello readers, I hope you're all keeping safe and warm. It's been a while since I last posted here, so thought the thread needed a bit of an update.

November, December and January were spent mostly on the new station extension baseboard, further details of which can be found on the emgauge70s website monthly updates. Here's a pic of progress so far.

The canopies have just been completed, so now I can turn my attention to lamp posts, 3rd rail, litter and passengers.

With the lack of social interaction of late, I've spent a bit of time putting together some videos on YouTube. The first two are of a recent running session (already posted in the Media section of RMweb) and the latest one this week is a virtual tour of the railway room. I hope you enjoy.

Wow, Kier, you've been busy!  I really like the station extension idea - will give some good opportunities for stopping passenger trains.  Will you have working tube trains as well once it's finished?  Hopefully get to see it sometime later this year, pandemic permitting!

Cheers.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Wow, Kier, you've been busy!  I really like the station extension idea - will give some good opportunities for stopping passenger trains.  Will you have working tube trains as well once it's finished?  Hopefully get to see it sometime later this year, pandemic permitting!

Cheers.

Hi Tim, With the layout going nowhere (and the space having become available) the station extension now gives a lot more operating potential. It's also a good place to park trains in the platforms between operating sessions, rather than having to return them to the storage yard, or potentially block the main line. The slowing down, stopping, and setting off brings another dimension to the layout.

The tube stock will remain static for the time being, as it's nice to have some 1959 stock waiting at the platform with the doors open. Of course that could all change in the future if I ever run out of things to do. It would be great to catch up when it's safe and practical to mingle again.... it's been a while since I saw your train set, so no doubt you've been chipping away at it and it'll be finished soon!

15 hours ago, 37403 said:

Hi Kier,

What a fantastic video of your railway room space...lot of jealous people after seeing that :lol:!

In all seriousness, fantastic modelling, always look forward to updates on the website or on here.

How big is your loco roster? Lot of stock required to fill that fiddle yard.

Thanks 37403 for your kind comments - there's plenty of new projects and ideas in the pipeline for the website. The stock has been accumulated over a long period of time, some of it from my Holmeworth and Wibdenshaw days, but more recently has been tailored for the North London scene. A quick count up of locos in service comes to just shy of 50.

• Like 6

On 06/02/2021 at 13:29, Kier Hardy said:

Great Youtube presentation there Kier, layout extension is outstanding.

Might we be seeing you on Strictly Come Dancing or I'm a Celebrity next year as you now are official an internet hit/blogger? 

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, RusselBridge2017 said:

Great Youtube presentation there Kier, layout extension is outstanding.

Might we be seeing you on Strictly Come Dancing or I'm a Celebrity next year as you now are official an internet hit/blogger? 

With my two left feet and a dislike for creepy crawlies (and the BBC, and reality programs).......... I don't think so! That's the polite answer. How's Cadoxton coming along, we've not seen an update for a while?

• Like 3

Hi Kier,

Always an inspiration to see your work.  Thank you for sharing.

I’m building a different slice of North London at Camden, and a few years earlier, but one thing in common with Hornsey Broadway will be 501s.  I don’t know whether you have any info on how you made yours, but I would be very grateful if you do.  I don’t expect to get round to it for a while, mind you!

Thanks in advance,

Iain

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

This page on the website covers most of the conversion process,

You seem to have a regular supply of beer bottle tops for little jobs Kier. :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You seem to have a regular supply of beer bottle tops for little jobs Kier. :)

Honest, I didn't drink the contents of ALL those bottles. Once people knew I kept them for modelling purposes, they've been flooding in by the bucket load!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 1 month later...